1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost OTA signal, then back again, then gone again!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Tony Raguso, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jun 7, 2018 #1 of 23
    Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I have had this 4 tuner Romeo for a month now. It is hooked up to a Yagi style antenna. My CBS station was coming in around 65 to 70 on the signal strength meter. Yesterday it quit. Today, I had zero signal on all their CBS channels as well. Other channels are strong. I changed the service ZIP Code in the set up to try and get channels from a different location. I had a few come up but they were not very good, so I turned the antenna back to the original pointing direction using a signal tower app. I changed the ZIP Code back to my correct ZIP Code, reset everything, and one of the channels I was previously giving is not there. So, I went back in and manually checked that channel box. Now all my CBS channels are gone again.
    Frustrated in South Carolina

2. Jun 7, 2018 #2 of 23
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Zipcode?

3. Jun 7, 2018 #3 of 23
    Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018

4. Jun 8, 2018 #4 of 23
    Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Now..This happens!
    Was able to get good strong signals strengths from Myrtle Beach(60’s), reset programs to record Friday, about to go to bed, last minute check and no signals from MB CBS or Columbia CBS now! SMH

5. Jun 8, 2018 #5 of 23
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    WLTX is moving their physical channel to 15. You might send them an email asking if they are doing stuff to test their new transmitters.

6. Jun 8, 2018 #6 of 23
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Hey, it happens, and it rarely has anything to do with your TiVo at all. Chill out.

Have you never had the power go out in your short life? TV signals, radio signals, phone signals, ANY service can have temporary interruptions. The easiest way to test it is to simply connect your antenna directly to your TV input - if it doesn't have a signal on that channel either, then stop wasting your time playing with things and complain to the broadcaster instead.

7. Jun 8, 2018 #7 of 23
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have cable and my signal splits to my TV. Even on the encrypted channels I can measure the signal & SNR.

8. Jun 8, 2018 #8 of 23
    Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Yes I have had the power go out before. But why be a smart ass when you don’t know my situation.
    It’s not your wife that is pissed off at you because you decided to give up on the “satellite” tv service to save a bunch of money, only to go with something new that has already quit recording her various programs.

9. Jun 8, 2018 #9 of 23
    Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I hooked the coax directly to my 50 inch television. I get nothing. It has settings for DTV, and regular TV. Still nothing. I’ve changed my HDMI cable. I’ve changed HDMI jacks on the TV. I know it’s not my television, but it is the signal that I am receiving. It is just very strange that WLTX and the CBS affiliate in Myrtle Beach also have no signal now after both of them did.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No one is disputing that you are failing to get a signal. I think that it is possible that your stations are doing maintenance. Send them an email. If it fails on your TV I would expect it to fail on the TiVo.

11. Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I called and spoke to the WLTX station manager just a few minutes ago. He said their changeover to channel 17, and then to channel 15, will not take place until next year. His main engineer is in France at the moment and is returning tonight. As far as he knows, there is no maintenance being performed right now, and everything is working properly and they’ve had no other complaints about a loss of signal. It’s probably this four tuner Roamio and the way it’s set up.
    Why would changing the ZIP Code in the set up menu affect the channels it allows me to receive?
    I remember seeing in the channel list when this first did this, that there were other subcarriers for CBS and other channels as well, that are not showing up now.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your zipcode determines the channels in your channel list. Like with cable, a channel scan is not required. For a TV a channel scan is always required. You can still perform a channel scan with OTA and added channels will have an asterisk next to them. They may not have guide information. You will have to ask TiVo to supply that information.

The guide has three display options: All, Channel List (My Channels) and Favorites.

To see your channel list -> http://online.tivo.com/start/ select guide, enter your zipcode and select digital OTA.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  13. Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    TiVo screwed up the programming available at my location. I had duplicate channels available for 19-1, 19-2, 19-3, and 19-4. They were missing since Wednesday. Now they are back! The TiVo rep at their Philippines location said they were doing something on their end.

14. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I live in a remote area not directly served by any major providers - everything out here is operated on ancient hand-cranked tinker toy machines, and outages are relatively common. I keep the antenna connected with my TV all the time so I can quickly verify what is going on any time things seem to change on my TiVo.

Unfortunately, the way a TiVo "allows" you to receive a TV channel is VERY different than what goes on with a TV, and changing your zip code can be a complicated/confusing experience in some areas. Even when the is no actual problem with the supplied TiVo lineup, it will rarely be configured correctly in your box after guided setup - YOU must still edit the channel list to properly receive the actual channels available to you. In contrast to the convoluted way a TiVo identifies channels, the TV is dead simple - you just do a simple channel scan, and it will show you anything that is available OTA.

You need a much better understanding of how TiVo lineups work, and that is well documented in many threads on these forums. It is sad that the new Bad Rovi/TiVo company refuses to manage the channel lineup process in such a way that an average home customer can simply turn on the box and expect it to work, but that is the current reality.

It is true that the current TiVo company does a TERRIBLE job of managing the channel lineups, and they can introduce a problem to your channels at any unexpected moment, but it makes no sense at all to go nuts re-configuring things until you have done the basic checks to see if the signal is actually available to be received at all. I suggest that you first learn how to connect your TV to an antenna and properly configure it for OTA reception, then use it to verify anything you suspect might be wrong with your TiVo

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  15. Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    VT7Goose- i’m not a kid and I’m not stupid. What was working fine Tuesday night, early Wednesday morning, suddenly quit working. It turns out that somebody in the Philippines at TiVo’s call center messed up the settings on their end that allowed me to receive those for sub channels, via an update.

As I stated earlier, nothing ever came in on my television with just the coax hooked up. I had powered down the television and started from scratch using the manual, just in case I had forgotten to do something. Doing a channel scan netted zero results. It would be kind of hard to tell if I was receiving any OTA signals that way. That is why I questioned the TiVo representative about settings in their box. It really makes no sense to me that I get no signals directly connected to the TV. Going through their box I now receive 37 channels.

There is something still wrong with this channel lineup though. On the channel number 19-1 which says,”19-1 WLTX-HD,” there is no guide information. It just says “to be announced.” If I actually go to “19–1 CBS” that channel has information listed in the guide, but that particular station number has zero digital signal output.

It is going to be very difficult to try and record programs from those channels if the guide has no information to display. So once again, they have something not set correctly on their end.

16. Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I just had to call their site in the Philippines again. It would seem that those people are not real adept at fixing their own problems. They set the frequency with the channels that I need to receive incorrectly. The ones with zero guide information are the one that I need but cannot receive because the frequency is set wrong on their end. The channels that I do receive, because of the incorrect frequency set up in the box, cannot be pre-programmed to record .

17. Carol S-D

Carol S-D New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Just read all of your posts and I am having the same problem as of Thursday too! I am also in SC. It is very frustrating. Before, I could get about 20 channels, but on Thursday I could get 1. Then on Saturday I am getting 8. I have re-scanned for channels and everything.

18. Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    You need to call them, unfortunately. Those people are sitting at a call center with a notebook of instructions written for them by somebody else, trying to tell us how to fix our problem. I don’t think many of them even know what a TiVo is!

19. Tony Raguso

Tony Raguso New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Just a quick signal update. I just got home from work 20 minutes ago and looked at the television reception. My channels are correct. The signal is good now. The guide information now matches those channels. Whatever they’ve messed up has already been fixed and everything is back like it was Wednesday.

JoeKustra likes this.
  20. Jim1348

Jim1348 Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I would be interested in knowing approximately how many feet of feedline you are using from the antenna to your receiver? Also, what coaxial feedline are you using? Is it RG-6, RG-11, RG-59, or something else?