Lost network connection after watching Amazon video. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by DrewS3, Oct 28, 2018.

1. DrewS3

DrewS3 Member

Sep 19, 2008
    I have had the Bolt for a week. It is hard wired to my switch.
    I was watching Amazon video tonight and the picture froze and I got a message about not enough bandwidth. I ran a speed test on my computer and was getting 80+Mbps. I switched to my Roku and finished watching the Amazon series with no issues.
    When I switched back to the Bolt it was still offline. It looks like I will need to power cycle it to get the network back.

Is this a known problem?

Mauly likes this.
  2. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Did the network come back after a power cycle? Have you tried a different ethernet cable? It would not be the first time I've seen a bad cable cause an issue in a network. If it happens again try to remove the ethernet cable on both ends and plug back in. You can also try a different ethernet port on the switch (wouldn't be the first time I've seen a bad switch port causing issues either).

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @DrewS3, are you running the "new experience" Hydra UI?

Possibly related...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  4. DrewS3

DrewS3 Member

Sep 19, 2008
    The network came back as soon as I rebooted. I'm on 21.8 so I think it is probably the issue anaana noted. I've been testing with Amazon today and so far no problems. If the issue continues I'll try reverting to Encore.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just be aware that the rollback from Hydra involves a factory reset of the box, erasing all recordings and settings.

6. Nov 4, 2018 #6 of 16
    DrewS3

DrewS3 Member

Sep 19, 2008
    It happened again last night. I had been watching on my Roku and decided to switch to Tivo to see how it would go. The episode started normally and after a few minutes started to switch to a lower quality image. It then stopped a buffered a couple times before dropping out. The network connection stayed broken overnight until I restarted the Tivo in the morning.

I watched Amazon quite a bit on the Tivo during the week without issue. Both crashes were on a Saturday night when I suspect the streaming traffic is heavier.

7. Nov 5, 2018 #7 of 16
    aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Were you able to continue watching on the Roku after the freeze up on the Bolt?

Have you tried a different ethernet cable on the Bolt? Or a different ethernet port on the switch?

How are you connected to the Internet? Cable modem?

How did you determine this? Were you able to ping the Tivo's IP address from the computer? Did you try to do a network connection to Tivo?

8. Nov 5, 2018 #8 of 16
    DrewS3

DrewS3 Member

Sep 19, 2008
    The Roku worked fine each time it happened on the Tivo, as did my PC and phone. Both times the Tivo lost all network connectivity and could not do a forced connection in settings. Both times I left it like that overnight just to see if it could work things out on it's own, and both times it only starting working the next morning after I did a manual restart from the Tivo menu.

Anaana's post mentions Tivo acknowledging the issue with 21.8.

Network Expert: Why does Tivo requires a reboot when you loose network connection

9. Nov 6, 2018 #9 of 16
    aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Next time it happens instead of rebooting the Tivo take the ethernet cable out of the Tivo and let it sit 10 seconds and plug it back in and see if it reconnects.

10. TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm the author of the Amazon Streaming App Consistently Freezing - Tivo Loses Network Connectivity thread.

This is very definitely a software or hardware bug with the Tivo Bolt, and not anything to do with any of our networks. For whatever reason the Tivo will lose all networking capability periodically, and this can be consistently triggered by continuous streaming. It happens more often in Prime than Netflix, but I've seen it in both. In Prime I average about 40-60 minutes before it does this. Once it enters this state the Tivo and all its apps have no connectivity despite wifi being perfectly functional. It will NEVER recover. The first time I discovered this I actually noticed that it hadn't been able to connect to download guide info for multiple days and traced the cause to this. Then I saw it happen in real-time multiple times since. The only solutions are to:
    • power cycle the Tivo
    • go into settings and turn wifi off, then turn it back on and setup the network again
    However, none of these are permanent fixes. Tivo needs to fix whatever the root cause is if they expect us to use their apps. Fortunately I don't stream a ton from my Tivo because it still doesn't do HDR, but for the sake of convenience I wish they'd implement that and fix this bug so the device works like it should. The whole point of the Bolt is so you can just press a button and have your streaming apps instead of having to turn on an xbox or switch inputs or whatever.

Mauly and UCLABB like this.
  11. Mauly

Mauly New Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Narragansett...
    I've been having this problem since I traded my Premier XL for a Bolt. TIVO support is in denial. Their response is to make me conduct a bunch of tests designed to find fault in my network. Total waste of my time.

12. My Cape is a Recliner

My Cape is a Recliner Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Are you using a switch or a router? If you are using a switch then isn't something else pulling your internet through a computer or phone, (maybe a security setting, email update, app update, etc.. ) and you are disconnecting the internet from the TiVo??

NEVERMIND... THIS IS A YEAR OLD.

13. Mauly

Mauly New Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Narragansett...
    A year old? No, I posted this yesterday.
    I'm using a router. I've tried different ports, different cables. I've rebooted the router but the problem remains until I reboot the Bolt. If the Internet just 'disconnected' from the TIVO, wouldn't it (or shouldn't it), automatically reconnect?

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes, it should automatically reconnect.

15. My Cape is a Recliner

My Cape is a Recliner Member

Oct 5, 2019
    YES, a year old. Your first post wasn't even related to this thread. You should have started your own thread. At the least you need to put in some details about your problem, and your effort to fix it. How often is it disconnecting? Your speed, your network, your effort to fix this, etc..

16. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    My laptop is connected by Ethernet but it loses connection and within 30 seconds the wifi icon pops up and all is well. Have you set up wifi on the bolt ? Maybe when you Ethernet craps out the wifi will kick in.