Lost "NBC"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rjcataniajr, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1 of 10
    rjcataniajr

rjcataniajr roscoe

May 4, 2015

Advertisements

OK, here goes: a couple of days ago I noticed that I cannot get "NBC" on my Roamio It keeps searching and all I get is a V53. I still get CBS and all the other local channels, just not NBC. I do however get NBC when I take the antenna cable and hook directly to TV. Works fine, just not when hooked up to Roamio. Any thoughts or idea's ?

thanks,
    roscoe

2. Dec 4, 2017 #2 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    call letters?

3. Dec 4, 2017 #3 of 10
    rjcataniajr

rjcataniajr roscoe

May 4, 2015
    2-3

4. Dec 4, 2017 #4 of 10
    TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    There's more information needed to help answer your question. I'm assuming your are using the Roamio for over the air reception (OTA). Typically when you lose an OTA channel it's due to reception issues. Even though your TV tuner can pull in the channel doesn't necessarily mean your Roamio Tuners can tune it. In many cases I find the single tuner built into many TV sets tune channels a little better than the 4 tuner Roamio can. YMMV How long have you been doing OTA? Have you ever had any reception problems before? Are you using and indoor, outdoor, or in-attic antenna? Type or model of antenna you're using? Have you checked the signal strength from in the Channel settings on the TiVo? What are those levels. How far are you from the TV towers? Are there hills or obstacles between you and the towers. Glad to try

5. Dec 5, 2017 #5 of 10
    rjcataniajr

rjcataniajr roscoe

May 4, 2015

Advertisements

Yes, I am using OTA. Have been for almost 4 years. The channel has always been sporadic at best. Fog,clouds,Trump's tweets all seem to have an affect on reception. But now, nothing at all. The signal strength comes in around 40 Acquired on the channel NBC (WESH-LD18). Other OTA channels around 50. I live in Florida and I am about 60 miles away from Orlando, which is on the cusp for OTA. The antenna I had installed is a DB4-PRO which is installed in my attic due to HOA guide lines. Legally, I could install outside and it may come to that. Right now I am reviewing online TV from DIRECTV NOW and a couple of other trials. Not going to make a move on any of those however until I see how the Net Neutrality vote goes. As far as hills and trees? None.
    thank you for your response

6. Dec 5, 2017 #6 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. Dec 5, 2017 #7 of 10
    Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    You haven't missed a thing!

8. Dec 5, 2017 #8 of 10
    TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Yes, 60 miles is right about the outer edge for TV reception for most of us unless there are some geographical advantages such as higher elevation etc. Looks like you have a good antenna but from the specs I could find on it the VHF capabilities of the DB4 are limited at best. If you are aimed at Orlando, WESH broadcasts their signal on Hi VHF channel 11. So you may benefit from a different antenna that has both UHF and VHF capabilities or possibly using a 2nd VHF antenna. Using two antennas gets complicated though and can create additional issues especially with the distance you're dealing with. So I'm hesitant to recommend that. I am also in a market where all my channels are UHF except for one Hi VHF channel (12) at about 53 miles. I use a Winegard HD 7698 antenna and it does the job pretty well. But it is a monster at 14 feet long, don't know if your attic could handle that? You are also correct that getting the antenna outside and elevated a bit more would definitely help although your condo association is not going to be happy! I do have a have a couple of stations that depending on the atmospheric conditions will sometimes come in great and other times not at all. So you may find you get NBC back at some point but it's likely to be a hit and miss thing. I'm also using Directv Now but I got in on the initial promo deal with the Go Big 100+ channel package for $35. So I'm keeping it just because it's an unbeatable value. It was very glitch ridden when it first came out but live streaming is now rock solid whereas on demand is still lacking. They still don't have DVR capabilities which I sorely miss but are supposed to introduce that in early 2018.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  9. mhonard

mhonard New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I know this is an old post but did you ever resolve your issue with WNEM. I live in TV Fenney and I am struggling with a similar issue of receiving NBC WESH affiliate on virtual channel 2.1 with a Antennas Direct CLearstream 5 in my attic facing 108 degrees. I get a 55 dB signal 75% of the time and then it drops completely out. I’m debating giving up if this will be a reoccurring theme even outside. Just don’t want the outside issues plus the hassle of testing it out if its a waste of time. I appreciate comments/thoughts.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...