Lost / Hidden recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by snevl, Jul 20, 2011.

1. snevl

snevl New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Pardon the new guy question. I did a quick search, but didn't exactly know what to search for.

We've had our Tivo Premeir for a while now, but progressively it is getting really hard to find our recordings. Recently, when My Shows is sorted in date order, there is nothing shown before 18-July, until going back to months before. It isn't a capacity issue, as I have a 1TB expansion / external drive and the Tivo says I'm either 29% or 30% full.

I've discovered I can mess with the sorting, and after some number of switches back and forth I can see what I believe is all my available recordings. As I get more recordings, the problem has been getting worse. It is now to the point that it may takes several minutes of gyrations to finally get access to something we know is there.

Is this something that is a known problem? I'm probably going to find a way to complain to Tivo / ask for a refund, but I've been a Tivo subscriber and fan for a long time, and hate to go there. This is just very maddening.

Steve

2. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    through the worm hole does that with me.

If I sort by group I have to go back to April to find the group everytime it records a new episode. If I turn off groups the latest recording is right at the top of my NPL.

It is only happening for this one program for me and I haven't figured out why or how to fix it.

Edit: I just deleted all the episodes recording in april and earlier and it has fixed the issue

3. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I haven't kept track of the dates of TiVo's software releases, but does your observation imply that the sorting problem was caused by an earlier version of the TiVo software, and the effect lingers until all programs incorrectly indexed (or whatever) have been deleted?

4. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I don't remember when the last update was and wouldn't have a clue if it was a bug caused by old software, or something that happened during an upgrade or after.

But I agree it had to be index funky. Because when not in groups it was right, but when groups were on all new recordings were placed below april like they were recorded last year.

dunno, I got rid of the April recordings and the group works right and is back on the top of my npl. The April recordings could not have been indexed in the future because when grouping was off they were towards the bottom of my npl and not at the top.

5. snevl

snevl New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    I guess I don't like the idea of deleting older recordings to make this problem go away. I'd rather they fixed it. I've got a ton of storage and am only at 29%. If I have to periodically delete anything older than a few months, it seems like I'm wasting what I have available for storage. Sigh....

Steve

6. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    There is a bug in the list processing for the now playing list.
    For me it seems to be related to recording certain programs...

If I take grouping off, I see all the recordings.
    It is worse if you use the SD version of the menus.

I found out after identifying the program I could delete it and recover it and that would fix the problem without losing the program.

It happened multiple times with "men of a certain age". The first time it was something on the tivo pick list.

It also affected other tivos trying to do an MRV

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=470322

7. ArJay_vid

ArJay_vid New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    By chance, were your "corrupted" programs from season passes that were marked keep until delete?

8. snevl

snevl New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    I guess I don't know, as I never was able to figure out what programs were corrupted. I don't think I had any "keep until delete" shows, but I might have had one or two. I deleted old shows one by one until I had nothing but stuff recorded in the past week and a half, and it still was losing stuff: No Tivo recommendations, and scrolling would make even the oldest shows on the small list disappear.

The Tivo customer service rep eventually asked that I do a complete reset, wiping out everything on the Tivo like it was new. I didn't think that would help, but it has been fine every since then.

Steve