lost dolby digital output after 6.3e

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jasbro, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jasbro

jasbro New Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    I have two R-10's and both of them had the same problem. I noticed that they stopped outputting in Dolby Digital. This occurred recently, after the new "up- grade" to 6.3e. I went into the R-10 settings, audio, Digital output. and noticed that the selection had been changed to "Dolby Digital to PCM", which I believe is the default. However; when originally setting up these units, I had set to "Dolby Digital". It is obvious that upon the recent 6.3e download, it was changed back to the original R-10 default. Dolby Digital was being recorded to the hard drive, but would not output to Dolby Digital. I changed the setting back to what I had: "Dolby Digital" and that corrected the problem. Obviously it was necessary to change on both R-10s.
    My reason for this post is that perhaps other R-10s have had this change when 6.3e was downloaded, and have gone un-noticed. I didn't notice right away, as there are not that many sources with Dolby Digital; mostly premium channels. When watching a Showtime movie, I noticed that the Dolby Digital indicator lights on my receivers were not lit.

2. leftstrat

leftstrat New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    I'm glad I am not the only one who had that happen. I didn't even think to look at the settings. :) Thanks.

I do notice that the menus aren't as snappy in 6.3e. you can see them fade in and out, and sometimes when you change channels, you might see a rainbow, (red/green/blue) effect, before the picture stabilizes. I didn't think it was the Tivo, as it was not doing this last week.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I'll have to remember to check when I get home.

Pretty much anything worth watching on Showtime or HBO I now watch in HD on the HR10, so it changing on it's own wouldn't have been a big thing.

phox

4. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thank you for picking up on it.

This was also true of my 100 hr. Samsung unit. It was easy to correct, but, obviously, the software update casued this setting to default back, probably on all units, not just one.

I think that this is an important observation that, probably, a lot of people haven't made yet. I would make this a sticky if I were a moderator.

5. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I think there is a second problem perhaps related to this--I've now noticed that I've had some DD HBO/HBOW SPs revert their audio options to English 1 rather than English 2 Dolby Digital. I noticed that Curb Your Enthusiasm last night recorded PCM for me rather than DD (and I guess it's still just a 2.0 show, so it's not a huge deal). I checked my CYE HBOW SP, and it was set for English 1 in Audio Options. The HBO SP was correct. I went through and checked all my HBO/HBOW SPs and it looked like most of the HBOW ones had the wrong audio option, as well as some of the HBO ones. And I know it wasn't a mistake I made, since some of the old SPs I have lingering around were set for non-DD, while the old recordings I still had in NPL were all DD. The only other recording I've now noticed affected by this was the one recent Flight of the Conchords I have that was from HBOW, and it comes out PCM (my FotC HBO SP was set for DD, and yes, I know it's just a DD2.0 show). Very very strange.