Lost Connection V87

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mdub, Aug 5, 2020.

1. mdub

mdub New Member

Aug 5, 2020

Advertisements

I have a TiVo Roamio in my living room connected via Ethernet to my Cable Modem/Router and a TiVo Premiere in my bedroom connected via Ethernet to an ActionTec MoCa device which connects to another ActionTec device which is also connected to the Cable Modem/Router.

This setup worked for years where I could access the recordings on both devices, transfer them back and forth, and stream them back and forth. I recently upgraded my Cable Modem/Router to a new one at Comcast's insistence. I own this device, it is a Motorola 7550. Since I replaced that, the TiVo's still connect and and I can view recordings and transfer recordings with no issue. If I try to stream a recording from the Roamio to the Premiere, it will somewhat quickly (within say five minutes), issue an error on the TiVo Premiere, Lost Connection. I can connect right back up and start the stream again, but it always loses the connection fairly quickly.

Again, transferring recordings does not appear to be an issue. Both TiVo's are connected just fine to the internet, guides updated, etc.

I have tried quite a bit of troubleshooting making sure all splitters and cables were tight, made sure they were all MoCa splitters, etc. rebooted everything, but none of it has helped.

I also tried turning off the firewall to the router which I can't imagine being the issue, but that did not help either.

I verified that my ActionTec devices are hooked up and configured properly again even though as I said it's been this way for years.

Attaching a hand drawn (sorry) diagram of the setup and a pic of the error. Thanks for anyone willing to have a look. I would try TiVo support but...

Attached Files:

2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    1) Put a MoCa filter on the line directly before the modem - some modems contain MoCa functionality that can interfere with an existing network, even if you don't see the option in the modem's configuration

2) What models are the Roamio and Premiere (the number starting with TCDxxx off the back) - the 4-tuner Premieres and the 6-tuner Roamios (750, 758, 840, 848) have MoCa radios integrated and do not require the additional Actiontec units.

3. mdub

mdub New Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. The Premier is an older two tuner model TCD746500 and the Roamio is a 4 tuner model TCD846500. There is no option to select a MoCa network in the network settings. I have installed the filter at the modem as you suggested and so far so good, only about twenty minutes but we will see and I will post back for sure after more rigorous use.

I recently noticed there is a MoCa filter at the Roamio's cable hookup which I didn't install but maybe Comcast did which might explain why I could stream from the Premiere to the Roamio but not the other way. Wondering if a filter at the Premiere might also have solved it since there are only two devices in the mix.

At any rate, I did put it at the modem as you suggested since that is the only piece of equipment that has changed so that does make sense.

Stay tuned.

4. mdub

mdub New Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I'm afraid this did not solve the problem. Moved the filter to the back of the Premiere to see if this has any better results. Any other thoughts?

5. whynotthisname

whynotthisname New Member

Dec 12, 2011

Advertisements

Hi,

Same issue, intermittent Lost Connection 87. No know changes in my setup.

Tried reboots, fixed IP, etc. with no joy.

What worked for me - tighten every coax cable nut (even in rooms without 87 issues) to make sure all coax cables firmly connected.

No 87s for weeks.

Good luck

6. mdub

mdub New Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Thanks. Still having the issue after moving the moca filter to the Premiere. Also re-checked all connections (had done it already) and still the problem exists. It's a head scratcher!