Lost channels randomly

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lmsyl, Sep 1, 2007.

1. lmsyl

lmsyl New Member

Aug 30, 2007

Advertisements

I have TIVOHD with 1 MCard from Comcast SF.

I got a mystery here. Randomly I could not watch DiscoverHD, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD in one tuner. The other tuner can show those channels. After I switched back from the good one, the bad one can show the channels again. This has happened twice in 24 hours.

I do not know whose responsibility. Comcast or TIVO?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I know nothing about that unit, but weird problems with other TiVos seem to get fixed by doing a reboot.

3. lmsyl

lmsyl New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    I have figured out an exact way to duplicate this issue. This only happens to the tuner 0 (although I have only one Mcard, I guess it maps to the 2nd descrypt channel on the card)
    1. Tuner 0 and 1 tune to a clear channel (ABCHD and NBCHD)
    2. Change channel on Tuner 0 to an encrypted HD channel. The channel is black. Go to CableCard Conditinal Access menu, it was shown as "Auth:?"=UNKNOWN. It is not "Auth:NS"=not authorized. The weird thing is not all encrypted HD channels have problem. I got ESPNHD, ESPNHD2, TNT, UHD black out.
    3. Changed channel on Tuner 1 to an encrypted HD channel mentioned above, but not same channel as tuner 0. Got video.
    4. Go back to tuner 0. Channel up then down->back to previous unviewable channel. Now video is shown.

In short, if Tuner 1 is on encrypted HD channel, Tuner 0 has no problem to tune to any encrypted channel. Otherwise, it is just trying my luck.