Lost and Planet of the Apes Similarities

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by WhiskeyTango, May 30, 2007.

1. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20040589_3,00.html

The themes of the first 3 seasons of Lost seem to link up pretty well with those of the first 3 Planet of the Apes movies. The only thing I'm not sure of is the time-travel of season 3 of Lost. Am I overlooking something? Supposedly, the writer of the article has found some links between how the rest of Lost will play out versus what happened in the subsequent PoTA movies. Pretty interesting. I wonder if this was a conscious act on behalf of the Lost staff or if it is just a common enough theme that it just so happens to play out the same way.

2. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll vote for common enough theme. You could find similarities between Lost and Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms if you looked hard enough.

3. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The whole point of the first Planet of the Apes is the surprise ending. The damaged Statute of Liberty shows the astronauts went through time to earth's future.

Theme isn't even that similar.

4. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    In the book, originally titled "Monkey Planet," the Charlton Heston character has sex with one of the monkeys. As far as we know, the Losties have not yet had any sex with the natives (or, at least, Juliet has implied that there hasn't been any sex).

5. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...

Advertisements

Huh. I've read that book many times and I don't remember that at all. Guess I blocked it out of my mind...

6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    None of them have even had sex with the polar bear! And the bear couldn't even talk. There's no similarities at all.

:D

7. latrobe7

latrobe7 Fine for real TCF Club

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    I think it's coincidence. I don't think the creators of Lost are trying to match up with Planet of the Apes any more than Pink Floyd was trying to sync up with the Wizard of Oz when they made Dark Side of the Moon.

I do think Lost has many influences and inspirations; three that I can think of off the top of my head:

the video game Myst - a mysterious island with lots of odd things constructed on it, the creators of which are not there to explain; having disappeared due to some alluded to incident. This Lost season finale I was reminded of the connection again; the musical code Charlie had to play to turn off the jamming reminded me of a puzzle in Myst where you have to play a song to get a device to work (of course, that happened in Goonies, too).

The Island - a book by Peter Benchley and bad movie starring Michael Caine. Set in modern times, a bunch of pirates have been living on an island since the 17th century. They raid ships and kidnap anyone under 13 to replenish their society.

Lost Horizon - book by James Hilton mentioned in the article. Plane crash survivors find a magical place that prevents aging. Some survivors don't want to leave, one of whom is a fugitive.

8. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    You could also argue that there are similarities between LOST and the "Wizard of Oz", "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe".