Lost 6tb capacity after clone

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Mark Washburn, May 18, 2019.

1. Mark Washburn

Mark Washburn New Member

May 17, 2019
    so I upgraded my series 5 again after 3tb started giving me trouble. Went to 6tb wd red, and reformatted using tools here to get full capacity. Then direct cloned old 3tb to new 6tb. Everything worked flawlessly....except capacity is now showing up as variable up to 477 HD?
    Which I believe is only 3 of 6tb! Darnit! My question is there a way to now re-expand the drive so roamio gets full 6tb without losing clone? If not is there a way to reformat and re-clone and keep full 6tb capacity? Whew....

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes and no. If you used MFSTools 3.x it has a limit of 4tb.

Alternatively, you can use MSFR to get full capacity, but it would be starting anew. shows and passes can be copied over to PC with the older drive in the Tivo prior to the operation.

Be sure you are not using Hydra, TE4, v21.x. and running 20.x instead. Hydra defeated the transfer function.

Mark Washburn likes this.
  3. Mark Washburn

Mark Washburn New Member

May 17, 2019
    I'll have to check what's running on it currently. I used version 1.02 to format. If I were to reformat using another tool as you are saying, and then directly clone the 3tb drive, it would inherently still read as 3tb when complete correct? So there's no way to direct clone while keeping the correct readable 6tb? I would need to clone using the tools instead? Is there no way to just format the unused space so that it would be readable as 6tb without reformatting and erasing all the current recordings and settings? Sorry these questions are probably redundant, but I haven't had much practice with any of this.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    With MFSTools 3.2, 3.3, the drive is copied and expanded to the max of 4tb.

MFSR will take it to 6tb, anew and yoy can copy the passes and shows back under the 20.7 Tivo software.

Cable card would need to be re-paired.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You could try MFSTools 3.3 and follow the procedure in jmbach's DIY 10TB Roamio thread. Basically you would be copying and expanding to 4TB, then adding another partition to get it up to 6TB.
    DIY 10TB Roamio

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not sure what procedure you were following, but it sounds like the clone procedure worked correctly. You cloned a 3TB drive and it resulted in a 3TB drive, a clone. Of course, anything you did to/with the 6TB drive prior to cloning was pointless, since the cloning step would scrub all your modifications.

Once you review the 10TB DIY thread, you should find that cloning is one possible first step.

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. Mark Washburn

Mark Washburn New Member

May 17, 2019
    Yes you're right it did come perfectly...lol. now I'm kinda dreading doing it over again, but I'm a glutton for punishment so I will give it a shot later today. Thanks for the advice!

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As @ggieseke suggested, you may be able to use the updated MFS Tools utilities on the cloned 6TB drive to expand the partitions to the full capacity. (i.e. you wouldn’t have to start all over)

If you *do* start over, cloning may be a longer first step — as opposed to using MFS Tools for the initial migration to the larger drive. Review the 10TB DIY thread to determine your best path forward.

9. Mark Washburn

Mark Washburn New Member

May 17, 2019
    I would definitely prefer not to start all over again, and even if I could just expand the current 3tb clone that's on the 6tb drove to 5tb without starting over I'd be fine with that. Only thing that is questionable is can I expand a tivo formatted Drive without starting over?

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That’s a question for the 10TB DIY thread. And you should also find, I believe, that you’ll still be able to use all your 6TB’s capacity, even though cloned from a 3TB; I believe you’ll just have to expand one more time.

11. jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I cloned my 6TB HD to a 10TB HD using an external USB cloning bay, then expanded it to 8TB then 10TB using the instructions in the 10TB thread. The cloning part took a long time, but adding partitions was very quick.

So, yeah, perhaps you can add one partition and painlessly go from 3TB to 5TB, but without a backup, get as much confirmation as you can.

12. Mark Washburn

Mark Washburn New Member

May 17, 2019
    Thanks! I've now decided to upgrade to a tivo Roamio pro from the Roamio standard. Can I remove the new cloned hard drive and install it in the pro without losing anything?

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Definitely not. All recordings and settings would be lost when you performed a Clear & Delete Everything* ... though you’d probably want to use a PC and the appropriate diag software, instead, to do a ‘write zeros’ on the drive, rather than trying to use the base Roamio drive as-is.

* To be honest, I’m not sure moving a base Roamio drive to a Roamio Pro would even work.

14. Mark Washburn

Mark Washburn New Member

May 17, 2019
    Damn that stinks....
    Wanted to reserve recordings from Roamio. I guess I could transfer them, but there's almost 2tb! Wonder how long it would take to transfer over network connection? Guess I'll find out...

15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The good thing is, you just cue bunches of 'em up at a time and let the boxes do their work; and repeat (and repeat).

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Transfer one or two. Then check Network Settings, Network Troubleshooting, Transfer History. Do the math. Since I have basic Roamio boxes I max out at about 93Mbps. That gets me about 10 minutes for a 6GB one hour HD program. Using pyTiVo Desktop, I can get almost 100Mbs. Easier to use pyTivo is the program.

17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can! Use KMTTG. The program only works 1 way, Tivo-to-PC. UNLESS, the shows are copy-protected.