Lost 3/29 -- help!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My (non-TiVo) HD DVR went bonkers on me, and didn't record either of the shows that were scheduled at 8:00 Central. I got hom at 8:15, noticed the problem, and started them (it's a 4-way conflict, at least until Veronica Mars moves to Tuesday, and the HD DVR is the non-TiVo, so that's the one that gets lost), but lost the first 15 minutes. Criminal Minds, I just watched from there, but I didn't want to miss any Lost.

So--can anybody direct me to either a copy of the show online, or a very detailed description of the first 15 minutes? I've never actually downloaded a show before, so just saying "Bit-Torrent is your friend" won't be very helpful.

Thanks!

2. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    You could get it from iTunes? Probably not your best option, but the easiest.

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Install Azureus: http://azureus.sourceforge.net
    Install the SafePeer plugin (done from within Azureus once you run it) (not necessary, just blocks known questionable IPs from accessing anything)
    Download the torrent file for the episode: http://isohunt.com/download.php?mode=bt&id=10268311

Once the file is downloaded you can play it; you may need to install the DivX or XviD codecs if you haven't done that before on your computer.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    OK, I've installed Azureus and downloaded the torrent. But now I feel REALLY stupid; I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with it.

5. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Open Azureus and then use that to open the torrent file. That will prompt Azureus to start downloading the show file. A couple hours later, you'll have the file, and then you can watch it on your computer (you may need one of the codecs Doug described). If you want to burn to DVD you will have to convert it.

6. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001

Wow! You must have a slow connection! Something as popular as Lost should have many peers and be downloadable in about 30-45 minutes at DSL speed.

7. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Since I've forwarded my port, it's been better, but sometimes it does take that long for me. I have cable.
    :(

But sometimes it only takes 45 minutes to an hour. You're right though -- Lost will probably be relatively quick because of the # of peers.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    How do you watch it? I don't see any files that are openable...

There'a a .nfo, a .sfv, a .rar, and .r00-.r17.

Windows doesn't know what to do with any of them...

9. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It should result in a single AVI file. Usually I look for torrents that end in .AVI

I know that there are other torrents out there that do what you describe. I never know what to do with them either, so I just delete the files and try to find another torrent.

10. fsck_101

fsck_101 New Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's a RAR-compressed file. Google WinRAR and download it. Works just like WinZip.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Thanks! That did it...

12. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I posted my info when there were only about 3 seeds for that episode of Lost. It had just been released. This morning there were over 1,200.

13. AstroDad

AstroDad Like Death & Taxes

Jan 21, 2003
    Houston
    I get 2400 download, but most hour long shows take me a good 3 hours to download, even with dozens of peers/seeds. Nothing is ever green, just yellow, but I don't know enough about it to tweek it the way it should be.