Lost 10 Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tivoboyjr, Sep 24, 2014.

1. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003

Advertisements

It's been 10 years since the premiere of Lost! My, oh my, how time flies.

I thought this was a good writeup on the greatness that was Lost (and the dreck that has followed it on network TV). It makes me want to go back and re-watch Lost, which I might do. I was waiting until my kids were old enough to watch it with me. They're 9 - not sure that it's the perfect age but maybe close enough. Andy Greenwald says (in the linked article) that he misses Lost like crazy, and I do, too!

The Legacy of Lost

2. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Great article--thanks. I miss it too. I hate when people suggest this or that is the next Lost. Never happened--never will. Also it was during the first season of Lost that a friend recommended this site to me when I wondered how he always noticed stuff I missed. ;)

3. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Lost...the show I loved to hate!

4. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Seems crazy that it was 10 years ago. (Or 20 for Friends)

5. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

Great article, thanks for sharing.

I do miss it.

Not just the show but the afterwards that came - I was part of a group of LOSTies that hung out online in a couple forums and then went on to create our own private one (about 40 members) and we would all jump online after an episode and chat about it for hours. We even tried live group chats but that didn't work as well as just posting in threads. We didn't care about spoilers. We had a blast. We even had a couple meets and a few of us are still friends via FB. It was good times.

6. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    I miss that sort of thing, too. We had a "discussion group" at work that would go to lunch together and discuss the show each week, and the forum here was a lot of fun, too.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Yeah, the forum here was great, I just didn't know TiVo or TCF was around then.

I found a slew of dvd's that I had recorded episodes. From season one and two. I think I still have that dvd / vhs player/ recorder upstairs in a closet. It would take a vhs and transfer to dvd. I can't remember how it recorded the dvd's off the screen. There were some smallvilles in that mix too. Maybe we recorded them as vhs and then transfered? I don't know. I just remember how joyous I was in Dec. 2006 when I rec'd our first TiVo and learned what it could do.:)

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Weird, Friends seems almost older than that, to me.

9. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    DVD recorders (that don't have to be put into computers) do exist; in fact, I still have two of them. (Since they don't have digital tuners, one is pretty much a doorstop, while I use the other to record audio from my satellite radio.) I don't know how they did this, but they managed to find a way to make them a bigger pain to program than VCRs.

Speaking of Lost, despite the popularity of the show, I still find it hard to find somebody who can name more than one or two actors who were on it - not the characters, but the actors. Even on VH1's old World Series of Pop Culture show, the contestants were expected to name the actors from the first season of Beverly Hills 90210 (including the two who played Brandon and Brenda's parents), even though that was over ten years beforehand, but for Lost, which was still in production at the time, they only had to know the characters' names.

10. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    LOL I would say ask me, because I could.

Terry O'Quinn - actually has a house a few miles north of me.
    Matthew Fox
    Josh Holloway - sexiest man on the show
    Domenic - the guy from Lord of the Rings
    Harold - "WALT" - a guy that has now been on a few failing shows

That's all I can remember off the top of my head but with photos I may do better.

11. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Once you know all the answers to the mysteries (including which mysteries will not be answered), it takes all the fun out of it. For me, the fun was going online and speculating about what was going on, and then (more often than not) being proven right.

12. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I really miss Lost. Yes, it had its flaws, but it was still one of the best shows in the history of TV.

13. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Man, I loved Lost. Best show on TV every season it was on, until the season 5.

Then, they didn't stick the landing in my opinion. Just a shame, because of that failing I have no interest in watching it again.

14. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Re-watched it twice already (with the boys). Will do again when the girls are a little older.

Don't care that they didn't "stick the landing" -- the performance leading up to it was exceptional. And it wasn't about the mysteries (well, not all) -- the characters and writing were top-notch.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, I don't know which one you have, but the one I have (Toshiba XS32), fixed a HUGE number of the "VCR-like programming" faults, while still being manual programming.

Things it improved on, while still being "manual" recording
    * You could turn on/off individual recording slots without deleting them
    * way more recording slots.. I think 32.. At one point, I did actually run into this limit I think, but mostly it was a non-issue.. (probably because I had a bunch of inactive recording slots ready to turn back on)
    * you could NAME recordings. That is, manually put in the name. So my NBC 5:30-6 recording would be called IIRC "NBC News <DATE>" instead of "channel # date time"

The bad things about it -- I hosed its original hard drive because it hung and I force powered it off (uggh).. Later I realized that even though that is a fault, it actually did/does seem to have separate programming for the DVD and hard drive portions, and eventually DOES come out of these hang modes (e.g. bad DVD) after MANY MANY minutes..

The original DVD burner was a piece of !@$# and replacements were expensive as heck.. I have a replacement PC drive hooked up and it mostly works (and the top has been off of it for years), except for unfinalized original DVDs..

While I too don't use it as much due to it not having a digital tuner, I still dub stuff from my Tivos to it sometimes, to watch faster than realtime. (While I also use VLC on an iPad, I realized some things, e.g. America's Got Talent, are easier to watch this way -- faster than realtime for all of the 'fluff' including judging, regular speed for the actual performance.)

16. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with you completely. The fact that the show stumbled toward the end doesn't change the fact that it was positively brilliant for most of its run.

By the way, how old were your sons when you watched it with them. I have 10-year-old twins, and my wife and I want to show Lost to them badly. They are definitely old enough now to be entertained by it, but I'm worried that they would better grasp the intricacies of the plot in a couple more years.

17. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I loved it while it was airing, but just don't have the desire yet to go back and watch it. And I even have the whole series on Blu-ray.

18. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH

I feel the same way.
    Bought the 1st several seasons in Blu-Ray figuring I'd then buy the final season with maybe extras. Because of the Epic Fail of the last season with the two bozo brothers I have never watched it. Never expected the LOST writers to screw the pooch with the ending the way Roland Moore did with Battlestar Galactica.

19. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I miss the show, and can't wait to re-watch it with my son in a few years (he's 11 right now). I liked the ending, so it's not sullied in my mind in any way, even though the show kinda got lost (heh) back in S3 for awhile.

20. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    From memory:

Matthew Fox
    Evangeline Lilly
    Josh Holloway
    Dominic Monaghan
    Terry O'Quinn
    Daniel Dae Kim
    Harold Perrineau