Loss of Signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ADG, May 28, 2010.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA

Advertisements

I have two S3's in the same room. Both get their input from the same main cable and they've been working fine for years. This morning one of them showed "searching for signal" on all but one HD channel (ABC HD). I did a hard reboot after which it showed no signal on ANY HD channels. Same after a soft reboot. The other Tivo worked just fine.

After half an hour or so the first Tivo was receiving every channel except NBC. I played with it a while, changing channels and disconnecting and reconnecting the cable and now it seems to be okay, but the fact is I really haven't changed anything. One minute the unit was not getting any signal (while the other one was) and half an hour later it's fine.

Any thoughts on what might cause this? Assuming the incoming signal from Cablevision was actually good, is this in any way indicative of a failing unit?

Thanks in advance.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I assume you tried swapping the cable inputs?

If you tune both to the same channel, what do the Signal Strength and SNR say in DVR Diagnostics?

Are Tuning Adapters involved?

3. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks for the reply.
    1) I was in the process of switching cable inputs when the signal returned.
    2) Signal Strength was non-existent. It showed no signal period.
    3) Tuning adapter only on the unit that worked.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    But after you got them both working again ?

Maybe your cable co moved a bunch more channels to SDV, so a TA is now needed to get them.

5. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA

Advertisements

I could not tune to ANY channel. It has nothing to do with the tuning adapter. Thanks anyway though.

6. Jun 9, 2010 #6 of 12
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Happened again last night. I was able to tune to any SD channel, but only one HD channel (TNT) - all others said "channel not available". I checked signal strength and it was bouncing between 95-100 on both cards. My second Tivo (the one with the tuning adapter) was at 90% and working fine. I did a soft reboot and it worked okay after that, but I'm concerned this is going to be a recurring issue.

I use Cablevision in New Jersey. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

7. Jun 9, 2010 #7 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Can cable cards go bad? Sounds like it could be a cable card problem.

8. Jun 9, 2010 #8 of 12
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I thought of that except that it happens on both tuners at the same time and the cable card diagnostics screens didn't show any problems.

9. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Just one polite bump. Has nobody else experienced this problem? Thanks.

10. Hawaii007

Hawaii007 New Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Before both tuners would go grey, and actually only the "free" HD channels would show, all of them, but now only one tuner goes grey, but the problem is it goes grey at a much higher frequency then before.

11. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Not really the same thing. Neither of my tuners "went grey" and I still did get sd via Cablevision, just not hd.

12. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    i am having a similar issue, i think. i am in west tn and charter is my cable provider. they did a big channel lineup earlier this week and sometime just before or after my old toshiba series 2 stopped displaying any signal from my cable box. i rebooted and can turn my tivo off and get my channels but cannot view or record them to tivo. this in my bedroom. in my living room where i have a tivo dual tuner, i can view and record only channels thru 69 which is what remains of plain old fashioned basic and expanded basic, but none of the premium or expanded+ channels. in this room, i cannot even control my cable box while it is plugged into the tivo, to test whether i can get all my channels i pay for i will have to take my tivo completely out of the mix, and i am hesitant to do so, fearing i will lose them all as i did in bedroom. calling charter tech support they tell me that i am receiving a signal and that they can send someone out, but they suggest that is a tivo issue and not theirs. i do not understand, i did record a program on hbo as late as friday night and the lineup change happened on wed. when i got up on sat morn my tivo was searching for signal on all but the lower channels. i have received no notices from my cable provider about any changes other than rearranging channels, and the dual tuners do still work up to channel 69. i have restarted the tivos, reset the cable boxes, went back thru guided set up on one tivo, etc. i do not know where to go next. i can get a truck roll from charter, but that requires a vacation day and the desire to know they can fix it first. anyone have advice for me please?