Loss of Signal When Running Microwave

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by kgm32, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1 of 20
    kgm32

kgm32 New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Has anyone ever had a issue with the loss of signal when running a microwave? This happens on occasion. I am recording with my DirectTivo I loose x minutes of the show......I have definitely linked it to my microwave....I have tried grounding my Multiswitch which is one the same outlet run as my Microwave....that did not help....

2. Jun 1, 2006 #2 of 20
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Don't think I'd want to stand next to your microwave while in use if it is causing that much intereference to affect satellite reception.

Instant vasectomy! :)

3. Jun 1, 2006 #3 of 20
    kgm32

kgm32 New Member

Jun 1, 2006

I thought about that...could be the microwave......thought that getting a sunburn inside was odd....lol

4. Jun 1, 2006 #4 of 20
    nibyak

nibyak New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Make sure that all of your connections (coax) are tight. Interference entering the coax can cause the receiver to mess up. I had a TV in my kitchen in an apartment years ago that caused the receiver to make some really loud noises when the microwave (located next to the TV) was running. I tightened up the coax connecters and it stopped. How the connecters come loose I don't know.

5. Jun 1, 2006 #5 of 20
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    There could be a break in the cable shielding. The only way for the average person to test that is with a multimeter. You would need access to both ends of the cable. Do you know if your cables are foil or braid shielding?

6. Jun 1, 2006 #6 of 20
    willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    How did the installer manage to talk you into mounting your dish inside of your microwave??? :cool:

7. Jun 2, 2006 #7 of 20
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What happens if you power the multiswitch from a different outlet/circuit?

8. Jun 2, 2006 #8 of 20
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    curious: does a cordless phone act up near it?

9. Jun 5, 2006 #9 of 20
    kgm32

kgm32 New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Thank you all for your input....I get no interference on the cordlesss phone the Mulit switch is not powered my mistake on that point...it could be a broken cable (I have a combination of foiled and braided) but it affects all TVs..

10. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    How is that a mistake. There are alot of non-powered multiswitches and they all work just fine.

11. extension 721

extension 721 Minor Deity of TV

Sep 29, 2005
    check your microwave for radiation leakage, it is POSSIBLE for leaked microwaves to affect sat reception. If you buy a cheap signal meter, you can check it when you run the microwave. If it jumps all the way up when mr micro is on, get a new microwave. If it drops all the way down, call an electrician, you have a wiring problem

12. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ok, well i didn't know if the cordless phone test meant anything but was hoping someone would tell me if it did. My phone buzzes if i get too close so i dont. Strangely enough, now that i think about it, the dish is probably only 12ft as the crow flies from the microwave

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Ours does that. The dish essentially faces to the corner of the kitchen where the (aging) microwave oven lives

14. purple6816

purple6816 New Member

May 27, 2003
    NorthWest

For many years I had a commercial microwave dish for my internet access. It was running at one watt of power to hit the other disk on columbia tower in seattle.

I had it mounted on a pole on the deck. With the direct Tv dish below it. I had no issues with the dtv but, my wife's birds kept dying with liver disease. We lost 3 cockatiels to that. :) Unfortunatly she kept buying more.

BTW I now have DSL it is way cheaper.

15. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    Not to mention it is easier on the local wildlife. Just think of the guys back in the 40's who use to stand in front of the radar dishes to "warm up"... Science is a trip.

mark

16. vogon13

vogon13 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    I had a customer with this problem. The microwave and also the clothes washer and an exercise treadmill all knocked out D* service on the living room reciever. When I swapped the living room and bedroom recievers, the problem stayed in the living room location.

Out of desperation, I popped the cover off the electrical panel and started tightening screws.

I found the neutral or ground bar (can't remember which, this was a year ago) at the bottom of the fuse box to be loose at one end. Tightening it fixed the problem.

Family thought I was a genius. No such thing, just desperate to get the darn satellite working again.

17. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    This is a wonderful tip but I would suggest not removing the breaker panel cover unless you have worked there before... You have 220v at 100-300amps available in the bare buss bars and this is definitely enough power to flash you to a crisp if your hand or screwdriver slips.

Another way to check this out is to turn on the microwave, turn off, and back on breakers until the microwave turns off. If the TiVo is also off then they are on the same circuit. Then you may consider moving the unit to another outlet that is still on. It is reasonable that the microwave could send waste RFI though the local circuit. You don't realize how much power a microwave is producing at 700-1000 watts (2450-2460mHz). The signals coming from the satellites are only about 50-75watts...

Good luck
    Mark

18. vogon13

vogon13 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Sorry for not posting a warning.

Of course be careful when doing anything like that. I have wired several homes, additions and basement remodels, so I don't have a ny particular fear of poking around in the electric service.

I did think it odd that the customer never noted any lights flickering anywhere in the house when the microwave was in use. I suspect the gound wire on the dish coax was the 'defacto' netral for several circuits in the house, and any large assymetrical load on L1 and L2 would pass too much current down the shield of the coax for the LNB to work properly.

Had a house several years ago that had the entire upstairs wired backwards on all outlets. Hot was neutral, and neutral and ground were both hot. Plugging in the D* three prong power cord caused quite a ruckus. Outlet tester under this particular fault will indicate a properly wired outlet (think about it) and it took me quite a while to get everything working. ( it did not fry the D* box BTW)

If anyone suspects a wiring fault is causing a D* reception problem, don't hesitate to contact a qualified electrician.

I strongly suspected the microwave of leaking enough power to mess up the satellite reception and went to some rather extreme lengths to prove the microwave was safe.

(turn all the room lights off and hold a florescent light around the microwave. If it lights up, RUN!)

19. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    vasectomy ?
    I don't think the microwave oven will reach out and snip you.
    :D

20. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    for real? has anyone done this?