Loss of Signal Message

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rileyhollett, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1 of 10
    rileyhollett

rileyhollett New Member

Feb 3, 2009

Advertisements

I am using a Linksys wireless router to update the schedule on my Tivo. All worked well for about a year. However, beginning a couple of months ago, several times a week, especially in the mornings but sometimes later in the day, the television shows the message "Loss of Signal". I then disconnect the Tivo and connect my cable directly to the TV to ensure the cable company is broadcasting and it always is. I then must reconnect the TIVO and reboot it. After rebooting the TIVO evenything works well. I am not sure if there is any connection, but this situation began when the TIVO was upgraded to allow for the purchase of NETFLICK. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. It is extremely aggravating. Thanks

2. Feb 3, 2009 #2 of 10
    TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    I had a similar problem, it turned out the router just was flaky and a reboot of the router solved it.

3. Feb 3, 2009 #3 of 10
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Tivo's have low quality tuners that require a stronger signal than most TV tuners. A signal amplifier may be what you need or sometimes the cable company can boost the signal for you.

Tivo losing the signal and the strength of the signal has nothing to do with a network router.

4. Feb 3, 2009 #4 of 10
    leeherman

leeherman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm not getting the connection between your router and losing your cable TV signal.

scandia101 may be on to something as some outside reason may be causing a reduction in your CATV signal thereby causing your signal loss. I'd check splitters and cables, add a signal amplifier if necessary, or get your cable company in to investigate if all else fails.

Good luck.

LH

5. Feb 4, 2009 #5 of 10
    rileyhollett

rileyhollett New Member

Feb 3, 2009

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure if there is any connection between my router and the loss of signal either. But called Tivo support and they told me to disconnect the Tivo, shut down the router and the Tivo then restart everything to see if that corrected the problem, I did, but periodically have the same problem. I use the router for my laptop and have no problems with the receiving the wireless connection. I have three televisions hooked to cable, whenever I get the loss of signal message on the Tivo, I still have reception on the other two TV's. This leads me to believe the Tivo is the problem. It is frustrating to say the least.

6. Feb 4, 2009 #6 of 10
    the928guy

the928guy Un-mutual

Sep 29, 2002
    North GA
    I used to see this happen from time to time -- it turned out that the TiVo box was trying to record a suggestion from a channel that I didn't receive. When I unchecked that channel from the "channels" list in setup, the problem went away.

It's something to check, anyhow, just in case the lineup TiVo thinks you have doesn't exactly match the lineup you really have.

7. Feb 4, 2009 #7 of 10
    TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    The OP reported this started a few months ago, I wonder if they had channels 'added' at that point that they don't receive.

Good one the928guy!

8. Feb 5, 2009 #8 of 10
    rileyhollett

rileyhollett New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    thanks, this sounds like the best solutioin yet, it all fits in with the problem, will try it tonight.

9. Feb 6, 2009 #9 of 10
    noalld

noalld noalld

Feb 6, 2009
    I have had this same problem, also beginning just over 2 mos ago (Dec 2008). I will try deleting all unused channels.
    :(

10. briand617a

briand617a New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    I just started experiencing this in the last week. I have a year-old Tivo 3 HD, with 2 Comcast cable cards. Also connected via a Linksys router, but I don't think this has anything to do with the problem.

All occurrences happened when the TV had been turned off overnight, but Tivo remained on. One time, after turning on the TV, it had the gray "loss of signal" screen. 2 other times, after turning on the TV, there was a signal on the channel it happened to be on, but then after switching the station to a different one, the "loss of signal" screen appeared.

In all 3 cases, restarting the Tivo solved the problem.

Right now I am deleting a bunch of recorded programs to see if disk space might be the issue.