"Loss of Network" - Other Implications

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by AENG, Apr 16, 2011.

1. AENG

AENG New Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Bedfordshire
    There is a "loss of network" in my area at the moment that TiVo seems unable to cope with. Restoration forecast is tomorrow, i.e. a 48-hour outage. On-screen messages say I can still view channels direct. I can't. But the box won't let me access any of my recorded stuff either and VM can't address that problem until they have access. So in the meantime I seem to have just an expensive door-stop. :thumbsdown: Formula 1 qualifying got lost but at least I can still fire up the Series 1 and be assured of getting the race tomorrow off Freeview.

2. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    Boat-anchor in Tivo terminology :D

3. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Like the Sky+ box - you can only view recordings if the recorded still has a good signal link.

It has been reported elsewhere that when the network is down you can not view recordings.

4. CeeBeeUK

CeeBeeUK New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    When there was a network outage in my region, you could watch recordings by pressing play from My Shows. You couldn't select them because it needs a connection to pull down the meta-data shown on the info page. FWIW.

5. AENG

AENG New Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Bedfordshire
    Thanks, Ozsat. I've never owned anything Sky or VM (pre TiVo) so I wasn't familiar with that shortcoming.

Thanks also, CeeBee. The service resumed before I got the chance to try that. I'll be ready to give it a go when the network next fails :) .

6. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Just unplug the cable!

7. billybong

billybong New Member

Apr 20, 2011
    How totally retarded is that? Once it's recorded it should be viewable until it's deleted.

What a MAJOR step backwards from the S1.

So you pay £21/month Tivo tax (£18 for XL + £3) then when the VM network fails you get a boat-anchor.

10 years of progress eh chaps?

8. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I think the idea is to prevent the box being taken off-site to be used at other locations.

9. AENG

AENG New Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Bedfordshire
    That's it I think, Ozsat. I hadn't taken fully on board the fundamental difference between an S1 TiVo I own and a VM one which remains Virgin's property.

10. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    With my recent problems, one of the people I spoke to confirmed that if VMTiVo cannot talk to VM, it will boat-anchor. For exactly the reason OzSat said.

But - it's not a VM restriction. It's TiVo protecting their sole use contract.

Remember - TiVo control how the box behaves. VM supply content and connection.

11. smokie

smokie New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    The bit which worries me (though not THAT much) is if you get a fatal problem with your TiVo which requires a box swap not only do you lose all your recordings but also all your settings and the "knowledge" which TiVo builds up over time.

12. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    Would you feel better if it were backed up to a VM server somewhere, or would you feel that was a security/privacy risk?

Such a back-up ought to be doable, and I suppose it would have to be opt-in and encrypted (cf the recent hysteria over iPhone's logging of cell towers).

13. AdamInKent

AdamInKent New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I'd much rather that Virgin Techs had the ability to copy the settings between TiVos when they switch boxes.

14. ColinYounger

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    It should worry you lots. I had my VMTiVo for six weeks before I had connection issues. They box-swapped as that is a default action for VM technicians.

Old box usage was at 25%. TiVo was getting back to what I knew it as - i.e. it was learning pretty much what I like and was getting sensible.

I now have a two week old baby that still thinks Eastenders might be good to watch.

I miss my old box.

*adopts solemn pose*

15. ColinYounger

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    +3 :up:

16. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    i'm still recording everything to my sky+ box just in case, helps that we have to keep it until we've watched everything that's still on there. trying not to think too much about the extra 20 quid a month that's heading sky-ward.

once i'm on a vtivo only setup i'd be really pissed at handing back a dead box knowing the disk was perfectly fine.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It's more to do with never having unencrypted programmes on the hard disk, which could be copied.

18. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I think it's probably both :)

19. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    In a 99:1 ratio of importance though. Preserving encryption integrity is vital to Virgin's contracts with content owners. People moving boxes around, not so much.