Loss of 1 TiVO HD Channel on TiVO Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mackie, Aug 20, 2010.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Jan 10, 2004

Advertisements

Hi there. After a recent TiVO Series 3 July 28th software update, I have an ususual issue. I have suddenly no reception for the TNT HD channel from my CableVision service provider. Oddly enough the standard def version of this channel is fine.

All other HD channels seem fine.

I had 2 sets cable repair people come out. One of them said that I had weak signals coming in through my cable wire did some jiggling around, changed the splitter and then said the cable signal was now fine but I still had no receipt of TNTHD. Then he swapped the CableCards out and put in new ones. Still had the same problem.

A 2nd set of technicians came out and looked at the DVR diagnostics screen for both Cable Cards. It was clear that the TNT HD channel simply wasn't being picked up by the CableCards but what was interesting was there was a frequency mismatch between what the CableCompany said they were broadcasting the channel at and what the TiVO said the frequency was.

Now if the Cable company is saying they are broadcasting at one particular frequency and the TiVO thinks it's another then this would seem to point to the TiVO. However, when I called TiVO they said that they had never heard of such an issue. They are saying that the TiVO doesn't hard code any frequencies and should just derive it from the CableCards.

I decided that I wanted to reach out to this forum and see if anyone had experienced a similar issue.

This is the first time that I've experienced such a problem with my TiVO Series 3.

Ian

2. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    This has been happening to me off and on for the past few weeks (I'm in North NJ Cablevision land) on 779 HD version of NatGeo Wild.

My S3 will just show a black screen, and checking signal strength says between 94-100%.

It comes and goes with the channel sometimes working and sometimes not. The SD feed is not a problem.

I've just been sucking it up and watching (and setting up my recordings to go on) the sd feed instead.

3. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    I know this is basic, but is the HD version of the channel selected in the channel list? Just checking.

Also a hard reboot this morning fixed a lost HD channels (all of them) on only 1 of my CC's

Robb

4. csm10495

csm10495 Badoop Badoop!

Nov 15, 2008
    When i had cablevision last year, i had similar problems with some channels in the 100's and HD 700's, on my THD, when calling them, they said it was a TiVo problem. So after calling TiVo as well, they said it was Cablevision. To put it simpily the two companies blamed each other. After changing the cards it made them work, just till the tech left. Then it stopped. Upon calling back cablevision they said in order to have another tech sent to fix "the TiVo's problem" The CSR told me that i would have to pay a fee for another tech to be sent even if he couldn't fix the problem. All in all, i switched to FiOS a week later, because of this, and the tuning adapter reboots I never looked back :D

5. mackie

mackie Member

Jan 10, 2004

Advertisements

hmm interesting comments all in all. Reboots definitely did not help me. However, I experienced a similar sort of situation where each company blamed the other instead of attempting to fix the issue.

I am going to get an HD box from Cablevision this weekend to see if I Can get the missing channel with the Cable Box.

But in the meantime, I can use "other means" to get m shows in HD. They won't be as convenient but it will work.

6. mattld1

mattld1 New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    This just recently happened to me on Comcast in Houston. Two weeks ago I lost E! HD and The Travel Channel HD but all the other channels work fine. In fact, I can receive both of the aforementioned channels but only for exactly 60 seconds, then the feed goes black. If I try those channels and the feed dies, the TiVo itself still works, but at that point I have to reboot to see any other channels.

The weird thing is, as long as I never tune to either of those channels, my Tivo HD works just fine.

I tried repeating Guided Setup as well but that didn't do anything to help the situation.

7. mackie

mackie Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Hi MattLd1. Very intriguing info. Here's my latest update. I recently received an HD Cablebox from my Cable company and I hooked it up to my television set and confirmed that TNT HD is alive and kicking in my cable wire. So it would seem that at the very least, it's a combination of my TiVO and the Cablecards inside that are causing the issue. I have never seen anything like that.

Oh, one more thing. It is crystal clear that the TiVO/CableCard combo is tuning into the wrong frequency for the channel I am not getting. I checked the TiVO Series 3 at my parent's home and they receive TNT HD just fine at the right frequency.

The only other combo I have left to try is hooking up my Cable box to my TiVO directly but if there are cablecards inside my TiVO then I'd have to be very careful to put them back in exacly the same slot or get hosed and have to re-activate them via Cablevision.

Ian

8. tw144

tw144 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Bronx
    I had a similar issue recently on a Cablevision attached TivoHD, using 2 single stream Cablecards (s-cards), which I was able to fix.

In my case, I was unable to view NBC in HD or Fox in HD, after having been able to view them fine for a few years now. I also have a 2nd TivoHD in the house, using one multi-stream Cablecard (m-card) where those channels were working fine. I therefore suspected it was something to do with having two S-card cablecards in the problem tivo.

When I viewed the Cablecard tuning info under "DVR Diagnostics", it would always show the wrong frequency for the 2 channels I was having trouble with. In fact, it would sometimes show the frequency for something I was viewing on the other tuner, or had recently tuned away from....so I suspected the TivoHD was confused over which tuner was watching which frequency.

Anyhow, this is how I fixed the problem:

Remove 2nd cablecard (from slot 2). Reboot TivoHD. TivoHD display a message stating "your cablecard config has changed..." confirmed the change, then I rebooted again (2nd time).

Now the 2 problem channels started being viewable again.

Finsihed up by inserting 2nd cablecard back into slot 2. Tivo displayed the message again stating "your config has changed". Reboot TivoHD one last time. end of problem....

9. hiwatt

hiwatt New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm also unable to view NBC in HD or Fox in HD, since Wednesday, on either my Tivo HD or Series 3. Cablevision was here on Thursday, but they couldn't fix the problem so they're coming back on Monday. This seems likely to turn into a case of Cablevision blaming Tivo and vice-versa. I can't imagine 2 Tivo units developing the same problem overnight.

I tried tw144's fix on both Tivo boxes but unfortunately it didn't help. Anyone have any other ideas?

10. tw144

tw144 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Bronx
    Hiwatt,

Oh well, I'm sorry my fix didn't work in your case.

Also, now that I think about it, I actually pulled the power cord from back of the Tivo, each of the three times I "rebooted" above. I didn't do the "3 thumbs down and enter" business.

As far as narrowing down technical symptoms go, I'm curious:

1) if you check under "DVR diagnostics" for the frequency being tried for NBC/FOX, is it showing 675000? At least in my Cablevision area, it is supposed to be 705000. In my case it was indicating 675000 right up until I fixed it, when it finally began using 705000.

2) do the 50+ free Cablevision "Music" channels work? None of mine were originally working, along with the FOX/NBC. Interestingly, the Music channels are supposed to be on 675000 (at least in my area), but they were indicating 705000 right up until I fixed the problem.

Basically, the whole goal of my troubleshooting procedure was to turn my TivoHD into a single tuner cable-attached device, so that there was no chance the tuners could get "confused" over which freq to assign to which tuner. Once I did that, it started working.

Perhaps it was just luck- I don't know. But Fox/NBC are working now.

11. tw144

tw144 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Bronx
    Following up to my post above, and in the interests of being precise, here is the EXACT procedure I used to fix the NBC/FOX HD issue on my Cablevision attached TivoHD:

Part I: change to a single cablecard (s-card), single tuner configuration:
    1) Tune each of the two tuners to known working channels (I used CBS HD and ABC HD).
    2) Unplug power cord from back of TivoHD, and leave unplugged.
    3) Remove CableCARD from slot #2, and set it aside.
    4) Plug Tivo back in to power.
    5) After booting up, a CableCARD Decoders screen will appear, saying the numbers of cards has changed. Go ahead and choose the "Go Back" menu option.
    6) A second Cablecard screen will appear stating "By using only one cablecard...blah, blah, blah....". Go ahead and choose the "Continue" menu option.
    7) Another cablecard screen appears stating you have successfully updated your config. Go ahead and choose the "SELECT to continue" menu option.
    8) Go to the "DVR Diagnostics" page found under "Messages and Settings, Account and System info".
    9) wait until the "Channel List Received" staus change to "YES" (takes 2-5 minutes).
    10) go and check to see if NBC HD and FoxHD are working. (they were for me.)

Part II: Change back to regular 2 cablecard (s-card), dual tuner configuration:
    1) Tune the single usable tuner to a known good working channel (I used Fox HD).
    2) Unplug power cord from back of TivoHD, and leave unplugged.
    3) Re-insert the CableCARD into slot #2, which had been set aside in part I above.
    4) Plug Tivo back in to power.
    5) After booting up, a CableCARD Decoders screen will appear, saying the numbers of cards has changed. Go ahead and choose the "Go Back" menu option.
    6) Another cablecard screen appears stating you have successfully updated your config. Go ahead and choose the "SELECT to continue" menu option.
    7) Go to the "DVR Diagnostics" page found under "Messages and Settings, Account and System info".
    8) wait until the "Channel List Received" staus change to "YES" (takes 2-5 minutes).
    9) go and check to see if NBC HD and FoxHD are still working. (they were for me.)
    10) at this point, I unplugged the Tivo one last time, plugged it back in and rebooted.

Sorry for the long post, but this was how I successfully fixed by NBC HD and FOX HD Cablevision issue, which had popped up in the past month.

P.S. My 45+ free music channels ("Music Choice") are still broken however...

12. hiwatt

hiwatt New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Thanks for all the details. I tried it on the Tivo HD with no luck, although the Tivo HD is getting the music channels while the Series 3 isn't (not sure if it was getting them before the 'procedure'). I'll try the same thing on the S3 tomorrow morning to see if they come back.

The frequency for NBC/FOX shows 705000 on both machines.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with the S3, I'd really like to avoid tomorrow's Cablevision appointment.

Update 8-30-2010:
    tw144's procedure worked on my S3. I now have Fox and NBC but still no music channels. I need to try it again on the Tivo HD where I have music channels but no Fox or NBC.

So I canceled today's cablevision appointment. Hopefully it won't be necessary to reschedule...

13. tw144

tw144 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Bronx
    Hiwatt,

Is the Tivo with the problem, also showing the wrong show on the first Music Choice channel (which is channel 851 in my area)?

None of my music choice channels work, except for the first one, and that one has the wrong content on it - it has some show called "Universal Sports" on it (it's definitely the wrong show for channel 851, it's supposed to be "MCHITS"). Plus when I tune 851, it shows the same frequency as NBC HD/FOX HD, 705000, but that is the wrong frequency for 851 (it should be using 675000 in my area).

Maybe there is something up with the Music Choice lineup/cablecard channel list, that is affecting NBC/FOX as collateral damage?

14. hiwatt

hiwatt New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    This is truly weird...the Tivo HD with the NBC & FOX problem has music on 851, not the sports show you're seeing. Repeating the procedure on the Tivo HD didn't help the NBC & FOX issue.

The S3 now has NBC & FOX but no music...and 851 has the sports show you're seeing.

I'm not sure what to do next. I re-ran guided setup just for fun on the Tivo HD to no avail. Based on all of this, I'm no longer 100% sure this is Cablevision's fault, maybe it's time to call Tivo.

15. mackie

mackie Member

Jan 10, 2004
    I had taken a break from this whole thread because I figured that there was no one out there who could figure this out. It's really interesting that at least one person has had success with the issue. I will tell you one thing. I actually recently got a new TiVO Premiere and I don't have any issue with disappearing channels...at least not yet. The issue is clearly related to the TiVO Series 3 itself and I am convinced that there is a bug. I have called TiVO several times and they were stumped. Maybe if enough people contact them then they will realize that they have an issue.

If I get time (for kicks) I will try tw144's methodology to get my TNT737 channel back on my series 3.

16. hiwatt

hiwatt New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    This happened again this week, and this time the same channels that were missing on Tivo were missing on direct cable into the TV using QAM. Same story on 2 Tivo units and 2 TV's. This time I re-scanned channels to get them back via QAM, and restarted each Tivo unit to get them back there.

The QAM story makes me think this isn't necessarily the Tivo's fault, but it's just weird now that I've had it twice in 3 weeks.

17. mackie

mackie Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Hi HiWatt. My TiVO premiere is hooked into the same Cable feed as my TiVO series 3 and doesn't have this issue. I am afraid that this looks like a TiVO issue to me. However, I suspect that it's one of these subtle problems that will take months and months to solve. If enough cases get opened with TiVO then maybe they will take a closer look. <shrug>

18. mackie

mackie Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Just in case anyone is still following this thread. My Tivo channel finally came back. It was sometime last week. What's interesting is that I suspect that I received another software update. Another tidbit is that for a short period of time last week, when I got TNT HD back, I lost FXHD! And then a couple days after that FXHD came back. Now it's possible that I have some other wacky HD channel that I just loss but if there is one then it's a channel I don't watch. Whatever's going on is most certainly a TiVO issue.

19. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    I can home today from a Longhorn meltdown in Austin yesterday to find that I couldn't watch an anticipated Cowboy meltdown on my DFW FOX HD affiliate because it wasn't getting the signal either (FiOS with M-cablecard). Same problem on only one other channel and guess what? It was the local NBC HD affiliate as well. SD channels were fine (505 and 508 with 507 in between working fine). I tried my other TiVO in the BR (same setup) and it was pulling the FOX and NBC signals just fine. Called Verizon and they had no clue. For grins, I pulled the CC, reseated it, and reattached the power plug. Bingo! Problem solved. I don't know what the issue is but I hope it was a one and done in my case.

20. abdemaio

abdemaio New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    One of my 2 Series 3 TiVo's stopped receiving the FOX, NBC and ABC HD stations about two weeks ago. The other two TiVos in the house (one Series 3, one HD) get those channels fine.

I called Cablevision on Friday. After doing the "sending a signal to the CableCard" stuff with no effect, they scheduled a service call for Sunday. On Sunday, the tech showed up with a note from his supervisor saying they are aware of a problem where some CableCard devices have stopped getting those channels and it is a "system problem" that they hope to have resolved soon. Sounds kinda fishy but at least they acknowledge that they have a problem and it isn't the TiVo. Stay tuned.