Losing Surround Sound and Volume

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by oldradio99, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Jul 6, 2016 #1 of 10
    oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005

Advertisements

I have my Comcast cable come into my Tivo Premier using M cards.

The Tivo then feeds my Sansung HD TV (less than 4 months old) via HDMI.

Then the TV feeds my surround sound amp via Optical cable.

So when I installed the TV, sound was great. Sound sound on most channels and I could set my TV about -40db for volume.

Now I seldom get surround sound and the volume needs to be 25%-40% higher to hear dialogue.

Now I suspect it is compression issues with Comcast but before I try that fight, is there anything else I can try to identify the issue?

I could not find any settings in my Tivo to check or set sound.

Thanks

Art

2. Jul 6, 2016 #2 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's a lot of non-specific equipment. But for the TiVo: Settings, Audio, Dolby Audio. Be sure it's still set to use. If it gets set to PCM I also have lower volume and only two channel stereo.

On your sound system, does it not have it's own volume control? Using the TV's volume control seems strange unless it's because the TiVo remote doesn't work with your amplifier.

It used to work. Now it doesn't. Something changed.

If you have sound effects enabled and PCM selected, you will hear the beeps all the time. If they are gone when there is a video window, then Dolby is enabled.

3. Jul 6, 2016 #3 of 10
    oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005

Still set to Dolby

Sorry for confusion but I do use the amplifiers volume controls.

No beeps

4. Jul 6, 2016 #4 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Have you connected the optical directly to the Premiere? It has DD output but not DD+ (for Amazon). I have to ask: what is your amplifier?

5. Jul 6, 2016 #5 of 10
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010

Advertisements

A lot of receivers have problems with constantly changing digital audio (either from changing channels or commercials coming on with stereo during a 5.1 broadcast). My old one would constantly flake out, I got a newer Onkyo (though it is pretty old these days) and it has been very reliable dealing with the digital changes constantly being thrown at it.

6. Jul 6, 2016 #6 of 10
    alevenso

alevenso Member

May 8, 2016
    can you eliminate the mcard and tivo and just test the tv and amp - if its a smart tv - you can log into Amazon/Netflix/Hulu and see if the problem persists -

7. Jul 6, 2016 #7 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Only Amazon allows you to test DD 5.1 (DD+) without a subscription or free trial. You will still need to register the box, but there is no limit to the free trailers you can watch. Amazon is also a good test for 1080p/24 (pass through).

But it would be a good test of the TV's optical capabilities. So would most OTA channels if that is possible.

8. Jul 7, 2016 #8 of 10
    oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Even today when watching the Today show, my sound went to Mono when they did local broadcasts (eg weather). But the display on the front of the Yamaha did not change from showing 5.1

My Yamaha amp is only 2 years old.

Sounds like i need to disassemble everything to try direct connections.

9. Jul 7, 2016 #9 of 10
    oldradio99

oldradio99 Member

Nov 22, 2005

I can but just doing Netflx and Amazon through the Smarthub but most of my problems are with broadcast tv.

Will report back

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Which model Yamaha? I use an RX-V867, an older 7.2 model. I have it set to Enhanced On for the TiVo input, but the LFE is required to turn on the subwoofer. I must admit I've never seen mono audio, but all my channels are HD. With DSP, I wouldn't notice it anyway.

It is not abnormal for audio to change when different sources are fed on the same channel. Even CNN with DD EX will drop to DD during commercials. Some of my indie channels are only DD 2.0 also.