Losing non-digital channels daily after update

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cambler, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1 of 160
    cambler

cambler New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Redmond, WA

Advertisements

Ever since the 11 update, my S3 box with CableCard has been losing analog channels almost daily.

The analog channels provided by my cable company (BroadStripe, formerly Millennium Digital Media) are 2-99. 100 and up are their digital channels. They can be tuned. Any channel 2-99 will get the banner at the top and then immediately clears to a black screen.

A reboot is necessary to get them back.

Again, this started right after the 11 update. I've called Tivo support, but it tells me the wait is over an hour, so I'm going to have to pick a time this weekend to sit around and wait for them on this.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any clue as to the cause? My S2 boxes (using cable boxes controlled by serial) are just fine. Only my S3 box has this problem.

2. Dec 12, 2008 #2 of 160
    cambler

cambler New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Redmond, WA
    UPDATE: Tivo customer service says that this is a KNOWN ISSUE after the update, they have quite a few reports of it, and they're investigating.

My HD box is bricked as far as analog channels go about 50% of the day until I get home and reboot it every day, so I hope they hurry.

3. Dec 13, 2008 #3 of 160
    njmnguy

njmnguy New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Oh wow, thanks. I had my own thread on this problem, and I had tried a bunch of things. I thought the problem was someone using Native video mode instead of Hybrid, but it's likely it was actually the reboot that fixed it for me.

Not a fun problem when most of the shows I record are from 2-99.

4. Dec 13, 2008 #4 of 160
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    My two week old TiVoHD is losing ALL channels daily. I get only a gray screen usually until I call the cable co and have them 'hit' it again. Sometimes, however, the channels come back without a call. Reboot doesn't help. I'm on my third cablecard and 4th cable company truck roll now.

Software is at V11. Using Motorola M-Card

BTW this is my second TiVoHD since Thanksgiving - the first one locked in a power up cycle on the second day I had it and was returned to Amazon.

5. Dec 13, 2008 #5 of 160
    mikestanley

mikestanley New Member

Apr 19, 2002

Advertisements

I am having this problem as well. I only get analog channels from my cable company and get HD OTA. Every day I lose all the analog channels and the only thing that brings them back in a restart, which I have done every day since I got the update last Sunday.

I tried a cold reboot last night hoping it would help, but I'm guessing it won't.

If it is a known issue, I hope it gets fixed quickly, since I've already lost a handful of recordings during times when the channels were lost.

6. Dec 15, 2008 #6 of 160
    BubbaFett

BubbaFett New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    I just got a refurbished TiVo HD a couple days ago (software version 11) and might be having the same issue. How does it present itself for you? I don't have cablecards installed yet (Comcast is coming tomorrow to install), so right now I just have the cable from the wall plugged into the TiVo. All the analog channels are just black, but the digital channels provided by Comcast as part of their Basic Cable package come in just fine. I had to do a Channel Scan in order for the TiVo to even know the digital channels exist--I still get no program guide info for them, though.

Before I discovered that I could at least see the few digital channels, I found that rebooting did restore the analog channels for a few minutes. If left alone for a while, I'd later find that the TiVo had the 30-minute buffer filled (on both tuners), but the picture was frozen when at the most-recent end of the buffer. If I rewound backwards to watch video from the buffer, it would work, but neither the picture nor the timeline bar would update until I hit Play again. I'd hear the ba-doop ba-doop, see the two green arrows indicating I was fast-forwarding or rewinding, but the marker in the timeline wouldn't move and the picture wouldn't change. Once I hit Play, though, it would essentially "wake up" and jump to the new position.

I did the hard drive test and it passed with no errors. I'm hoping that cablecard installation makes the whole problem go away, but isn't it just supposed to work without cablecards?

Additional info:
    * I'm not using a splitter on my cable
    * If I run the cable straight into my TV, the TV can tune all the analog and digital channels flawlessly.

What behavior do y'all see when you lose analog channels? Anything like my clumsy description above?

Thanks.

7. Dec 16, 2008 #7 of 160
    mikestanley

mikestanley New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    An update on my continued problems. After seeing all analog cable channels (the only thing I get from Knology - I do HD via OTA) disappear every 24 hours for several days, I did a cold reboot by pulling the power cable out of the UPS. I left the Tivo off for a few minutes then powered it on again.

After a day passed with no problems I thought I was out of the woods. After 48 hours passed I figured that was definitely the case. However, within the next 24 hours, I'd lost all analog cable channels again. I restarted the Tivo (via the menu) again and again, within 24 hours, I'd lost all channels again.

So something is still broke. Just not sure what else I can do about it.

8. Dec 16, 2008 #8 of 160
    BubbaFett

BubbaFett New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    I should update my status too: I got the cablecards installed yesterday (more or less...they're configured wrong due to a different issue with Comcast--they'e only set up for Basic Cable, but I also subscribe to Digital Classic, so I'm currently also missing all the Digital Classic channels), but the same problems remain with the analog channels. I haven't tried a cold reboot yet, but I've done a "warm" reboot which, as others have also seen, fixes the problem temporarily. I consistently lose analog channels within a couple hours.

Guess it's time for a call to TiVo. Great. :(

9. Dec 16, 2008 #9 of 160
    vreug

vreug New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    I Just got a Refurb TivoHD a couple of weeks ago and just within the last week I have been having this same problem. All of my cable channels are a blank grey screen. I have to restart the Tivo each evening when I get home from work. I hope they come up with a fix soon. Thanks for the info above. I was going to call Tivo today but will wait since it is a known issue.

10. Dec 16, 2008 #10 of 160
    BubbaFett

BubbaFett New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    If you have the time (and patience!), it might be worth calling TiVo anyway. They might still not have a solution, but I would guess the more customers gripe about it, the more likely it is that we'll see a fix soon.

11. Dec 16, 2008 #11 of 160
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Please do call TiVo. Get this problem on their radar. Get a case number too.

12. Dec 16, 2008 #12 of 160
    BubbaFett

BubbaFett New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    I called TiVo tonight and the lady with whom I spoke confirmed that losing the analog channels is a known issue. No word as to when they expect to have it fixed (but, in her defense, she's with the CableCARD hotline division, so probably not her expertise...I called the hotline to resolve an unrelated CableCARD issue--I know it's unrelated since I had the problem before the cards were installed), but she did say she'd forward my issue on for whatever that's worth.

13. Dec 22, 2008 #13 of 160
    neonzebra

neonzebra New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    San Jose. CA
    I've been having this issue for about a month now. Can't say for sure if it's only been happening since the last software update, but it sounds about right. I've had Comcast come and replace my cablecards twice. Second time was just this morning and when I came back home, the problem appeared again. Will call TiVo customer service tomorrow morning.

14. Dec 22, 2008 #14 of 160
    BubbaFett

BubbaFett New Member

Jan 3, 2004
  15. Dec 22, 2008 #15 of 160
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I also had this same exact problem this morning with my less than a week old TiVoHD. I had no analog channels but could still get all my digital and high def channels. I had to reboot the TiVo and the problem was fixed.

FWIW, thought I would mention I am using two Motorola S-cards. Cable company couldn't get the M-card to work so they agreed to let me have two S-cards for the price of one M-card.

16. Dec 24, 2008 #16 of 160
    Jim_Z

Jim_Z New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I manage my parents Series three TiVo. They live twenty miles from me but I assured them it was "bullet proof". They have OTA only- no cable. About a week ago they started complaining that the analog channels were black. I had them reboot the TiVo and all was well for a few days. Last night I received another call- the analog channels were again all black. A reboot again fixed the problem. The digital channels were fine.
    I saw this thread today. I called TiVo. They first wanted me to remove the cable card. When I told him it was OTA only he put me on hold for 5 minutes to "research" the case. When he returned he told me it was a known problem and was being worked on. So much for bullet proof!
    Side question- can any one point me towards an application that would allow me to get into TiVo Central?. I know how to remotely schedule recordings via TiVo and I have loaded on my parents PC desktop TiVo for transferring recordings but I want to have all the functionality of TiVo Central. This is a WiFi enabled TiVo and I have remote access to my parents PC via Remote Desktop.
    TIA,
    Jim

17. Dec 30, 2008 #17 of 160
    Rikkster

Rikkster New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm losing the analog 1-99 and all the digital except 200-299. A reboot fixes it temporarily.

18. Jan 4, 2009 #18 of 160
    enkil76

enkil76 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    Chicago
    A reboot doesn't seem to help my Tivo anymore. Missing a bunch of different channels. I am going to call TWC and Tivo but I am guessing, since it happened after it, that this is all related to v11. Anyone get information on when a fix might be coming? A month without numerous channels seems excessive.

19. Jan 4, 2009 #19 of 160
    ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    How are all of you sure that 2-99 are analogs? Many cable companies have ADS (analog digital simulcast) so your cable card map could be either digital or analog for those low channels.

20. Jan 5, 2009 #20 of 160
    mikestanley

mikestanley New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    I'm sure 2-99 are analog because I only have analog service.