Losing internet connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Butch32940, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Butch32940

Butch32940 New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    I have lurked on here for for several months and could not understand why so many were having problems with the Premier. Well, I'm not feeling so smug anymore.
    For the past few weeks I have had problems connecting and retaining my wireless connection. I have been in contact with TIVO Customer Service at least a dozen times and they have tried numerous fixes only to have the problem return. Sometimes I can establish a connection only to lose it within an hour or so. Other times, it simply will not connect. I've gotten N-6, N-10 and N-13 errors at one time or another.
    I'm using a Netgear WNDR3400 router and aTivo brand adaptor. Right now, I'm completely frustrated. Questions--
    1. Any suggestions as to what I might try? I am not very computer literate.
    If i try to get help locally, what kind of expertise would I look for?
    2. I love my Tivo when it works properly but may have to go back to the
    cable company DVR (Brighthouse). The Tivo is of no value as is. I'm not
    sure when I purchased it (less than a year I think). Would Tivo send me
    another unit? Would they allow me to cancel my service contract and
    refund my money? Do I have any options?
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am totally frustrated and
    disgusted.

2. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    You might try a wireless bridge and ditch the wireless adapter.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have mine set with the router IP as the DNS server and have never gotten any of the N errors or gateway not found. I do need to re-enter the settings (or confirm) whenever I reset the router.

A typical router IP is 192.168.1.1.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Sending out another TiVo would be pointless, because your problem is almost certainly not in the TiVo box. It could be the wireless adapter, or you could be getting wireless interference. If a hardwired connection is not an option, I would suggest you try power-line adapters. I use a pair of Panasonic BL-PA100A units to connect my main computer to my router, and they work great.