Losing Cox HD Channels w/Cable Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by PHTM, May 26, 2011.

1. PHTM

PHTM New Member

May 24, 2003
    OK, USA
    I cannot access any new HD channels from Cox, and I have lost others.
    HUBHD, some of the StarsHD, and EPIXHD channels stopped working. Some say channel not authorized and others say channel not available. Cox Techs have tried everything on their end and multiple cards with the same problem. They say it is my Tivo and won't help anymore. I don't want to do a clear and delete all unless I have to. My tivo also hangs when restarting.
    Has anyone had similar problems or any tips?

2. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    What do you mean by "hangs"? It never gets you to the splash screen even after half an hour or so? Have you tried hitting the TiVo button?

Do you have a tuning adapter? If so, I would power cycle it and see what happens.

3. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    This is a known problem with cox.

The issue is these channels are in the 1Ghz rage. Cox only has one box in most markets that is able to receive these channels, and that is there Whole Home DVR. Because of this, they made a marketing decision to bundle these channels in a package that you only can get with the Whole Home DVR.

This means these channels are unavailable to your TiVo. And since the package is only available for the Whole Home DVR on cox's end it is unclear if this violate s any FCC Regulations, it appears to side step them. In Motorola Cox market, they have a 1Ghz non dvr Receiver, and this box is locked out of these channels too. So it's not just TiVo that is locked out, but rather all other cox boxes then the whole home dvr.

The TiVo Premiere does have a 1 Ghz tuner where past TiVo's did not. However, it is unclear if the software supports tuning these channels at this time as well. It appears to be a method to push cox's whole home dvr, and if you call about these channels they will tell you the whole home dvr is required and will try to push their box on you.

However, cox support has mentioned that it was a marketing decision, and that enough people complained they may change this practice. This is something you will have to take up and fight with cox about. So far they haven't budge on this decision and continue to add new channels in this range

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    You know, I am really getting sick of this type of shenanigans. As if cable cards and tuning adapters haven't been enough nightmare for everyone. :mad:

5. PHTM

PHTM New Member

May 24, 2003
    OK, USA
    I do not have a tuning adapter.
    If I reboot from the menu it usually will get past the "Few more minutes" screen.
    I almost always have to unplug it for 30 mins and try a couple of times before it boots.
    When using HD menus it takes a lot longer to boot and less often successful.
    I know that if it was asleep when I rebooted it then it will turn black.
    I think a "Clear & Delete All" will fix these problems.
    It was originally used without a cable card, and worked perfectly.
    I have tried removing it, and everything else, but it doesn't boot more often or faster.
    It doesn't bother me until I get an update and it tries to reboot and I miss hours of shows.

The channels next to the nonworking ones are in the 100,000hz or 500,000hz range.
    I cannot tune to the others to find what freq. they are. The info is blank and the tuning status says "Wrong card state."

I think you are correct because I haven't been able to get any new channels, but I still get channels that have moved.

Thank you for the info. I will try to find a knowledgable Cox rep. and ask them about the 1Ghz problem.

6. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Yup, tell me about it. We know for a fact this locks out all S3/s and THD. The Premiere's tuner is capable up tuning these frequencies, but we don't know if the software can. Being that it doesn't tell us not autorized and doesn't pick up any data in the diagnostics other then the cable card is in "Wrong Card State", I would say most likely not. It would most likely need a software update on tivo's end if cox unbundled these channels with the Whole Home DVR

Depending on what cox market your are in, you may need tuning adapters or may not. It sounds like in your market they don't have them, which is ok. These new 1ghz channels don't come in even if you have a tuning adapter.

That that is correct, the 1 ghz channels the info is blank and says wrong card state. That's the same issue we all get.

7. qunewsguy

qunewsguy Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm hoping this isn't the case, but have any channels been moved into the 1GHz range after the push to move all HD channels into the 1000's? Connecticut's set to get this "upgrade" in early August and I'm hoping not to lose any more channels.

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    In Cox Hampton Roads, I have not noticed the inability to get any channels since the 1000's conversion.

9. jason99si

jason99si New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    All hd channels moved to the 1000 range in ct. Now I've lost the ability to see ANY hd channels. My family is going to kill me. Help!

10. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Get a tuning adapter. They're free.

11. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    cox new england has no sdv

chances are your tivo's lineup hasn't changed yet. Submit a like up change ticket.

12. jason99si

jason99si New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Spoke with a semi-capable tech at cox. He said the guide switched over before the channels actually did. I confirmed that I'm still able to see channels in the 700 range. He said the channels will actually switch over tonight, overnight. He said he "thinks" the cable cards do support channels over 1000. I guess we'll see tomorrow, and if not, I'll go down the tuning adapter path.

ugh.

13. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

don't worry, cable card and tivo will have no problem with channels over 1,000.

they are still on the same frequency as they were before, they are just getting mapped to a higher number. Tivo supports up to 9999.

In case your wondering, others with cox where this move has already happened have had no issues.

And here in Rhode Island, though this change does not happen until auguest, I already have some channels in the thousands which I think will be moving. All the local channels sub channels are on locations such as 1015 and I have no problem watching them.

Every channel you get now you will still get.

14. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have been compiling a complete listing of the Cox Plus Package channels by market that are not available on the TiVo, and only available with the Cisco Whole Home DVR equipment, frequency range is supposed to be 860MHz to 1GHz. Although a source inside Cox Corp has told me they are working with TiVo to possibly get these channels.

Cox Plus Package Channels by market and launch date
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19724898#post19724898

15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    In Hampton Roads, the move went fine. Channel numbers have nothing to do with SDV. Yet they are using SDV in Hampton Roads, so it does require a tuning adapter or many channels will be missing.

We do have a few errors- for example, the Guide still shows we get the Oprah Channel HD and has a number and everything. But the channel does not exist. I had to call Cox to ask why and they said they haven't rolled it out yet. Very irritating (there is one medical show I record on that channel, which was Discovery Health, so I am still stuck with SD).

16. jason99si

jason99si New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    As everyone else mentioned... moving to 1000 didn't cause any new issues.

However, these are the channels that I can't receive. I believe these require the Whole Home DVR (which i had for two weeks, got rid of, and replaced with tivo).

1150 DIYHD
    1251 COOKHD
    1202 HBOSGHD
    1203 HBOHDP
    1205 HBOFHD
    1208 HBOLAHD
    1279 STZHDP
    1283 STZKHD
    1285 STZCHD

17. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    yes, those are the ones you can only get with the whole home dvr.

18. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    On Cox Hampton Roads, channels 1150 and 1251 are not even listed on their site in the lineup and although there is a "DIY", it is SD only (channel 235) and there is a "COOK" that is SD only (channel 250). I don't know about HBO/STZ, because those are premium channels, of which I get none. Guess the channels do vary by market/region.

But the posting on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19724898#post19724898 says the above (non-premium) channels exist as those that are unobtainable (and include HUB HD, and Outdoor HD). But that doesn't jive with Cox's site. Perhaps Cox is hiding it??

I am not aware of any HERE, but having channels that ONLY work with the cable company's equipment is certainly a slap in the face to the FCC...

19. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

They get away with this one because they are not available on their HD Set top Boxes or DVR Either. Only The Whole Home DVR.

20. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The West Point (only) channel line-up is showing:
    http://ww2.cox.com/residential/hamptonroads/tv/channel-lineup.cox
    1100 - The Hub HD
    1217 - Outdoor Channel HD
    1235 - DIY HD
    1250 - Cooking Channel HD

But Occasio Gee (Cox HR PR) stated these listings were incorrect and no channels have been added yet.

Occasio Gee also stated: There were some "issues" that were that put a halt/delay on adding them. Many of the SDV channels didn't go online when we thought they would.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20673487#post20673487