Losing Color In Picture

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Dawghows, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Twice in two weeks the color has gone out of the picture while we're watching pre-recorded shows. Both times, I switched back to the Now Playing menu, which was also b/w for a second before the color came back.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know whether to suspect the hard drive or my TV. Or maybe it's another aspect of the 6.3e problems? Since it has happened so sporadically, and since I only have TV reception through DirecTiVo, I don't really know how to go about eliminating causes.

Any thoughts?

FWIW, this is happening on an unmodified Samsung S4080 that has exhibited no other problems at all. The TV is a 32" Toshiba CRT that is ~8 years old, which likewise shows no other problems. Also, we virtually never watch live TV, so the fact that both shows were pre-recorded may not actually be a factor.

2. LT5001987

LT5001987 New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Mesa, AZ
    Me too.

Last night I was watching a recorded Henry Rollins show from IFC and I noticed the color doing weird things. I have 6.3.e on this unit (R10). I went upstairs to my DSR7000 that does not have 6.3.e and in my limited testing, I saw no color glitches.

Note I did not experience the black/white that you did.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Reseat the s-video cable if you're using it.

4. Mikeybee

Mikeybee New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Hello,
    Yes, I've experienced the same problem on and off over the past serveral weeks. It goes all funny with the colors, like a rainbow and then black and white, then the color returns. I have not seen this before. It indeed maybe the 6.3e software bug.

5. dougfetter

dougfetter New Member

May 14, 2006
    I have an HR10-250 running the older 3.1.5f software that is also having the colors fade to black & white problem. The way I get them back is to simply hit the pause button, and then resume playback, at which point the colors come right back. It does not happen frequently, maybe once a week. I have not tried reseating the cables, but am doubting that this will not correct anything since hitting pause on the remote solves it without going near & jostling the unit.