Losing Channels, All Recordings Fail

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by susanandmark, Nov 14, 2005.

1. susanandmark

susanandmark New Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Oklahoma, USA

Advertisements

I've been having some problems for several months (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=264062) with my upgraded HD TiVo, purchased in late April from Weaknees.

Now, the most serious, is that my recorder periodically (every one or two weeks), loses all its channels and fails to record anything. Nothing special seems to precipitate this problem (no weather, blackouts, etc. and no problem with other electrical appliances, including four additional TiVos). Though the unit will play recordings in Now Showing without error, if you switch to Live TV, you can't see anything. All channels have "Channel Not Available" banner and Recording History indicates that recordings failed due to "power failure," though there were no electrical troubles with power.

A forced restart corrects the problem, for a while, but it seems to always return. I've had it happen now three times since my original posting a month or so ago. It's really annoying that I can't rely on my very expensive TiVo to do what it's supposed to, i.e. record programs. (In this case, we'd been super-busy since Saturday and hadn't watched TV all weekend. Sometime Saturday night the recorder failed--losing all channels--and, since then, hadn't recorded anything. I only discovered this when I came home from work on Monday and sat down to watch something.)

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions, ideas?

2. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    have you pulled the card? Perhaps you need to call D* about hitting it again??

3. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I get that as well, I've had it since I got the HD TiVo 18 months ago. D* are totally clueless, I've talked to them a lot. Nothing has helped, except maybe a Clear and Delete everything (you can do one keeping recorded shows). I did that a couple of weeks ago and I've had a few minor problems, I'll see if the hanging returns. I'm not confident that will solve anything.

The only real hope is the 6.2 upgrade, which might accidentally fix the problem, or a cablecard TiVo when its released next year.

4. JohnDG

JohnDG Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Take a look at the http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=115194 thread in the "DirecTV Receiver with Tivo" forum: this is a known problem for the older software -- which is what the HD-TiVo uses.

Once this started to appear, I manually rebooted all my TiVos once a week. Since this, I have not had the problem. Also: not using a "Favorites" list really seems to help reduce the frequency of the problem. It's a pain to see all the junk DirecTV channels, but it seems that every time they reconfigure the list problems occur.

jdg

5. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...

Advertisements

That's a different problem from the one I'm having, I think its a different one from what the original poster is suffering.

In that one the channels lists dissapear, so no recordings take place. It should still be possible to tune to a channel and see a picture. In the problem I have, there is not picture, just the "Channel Not Available" banner. Its quite often associated with the tuners having a status of "Not Enabled" in the system information. The channel lists will be fine.

I've even talked to TiVoOps manager about this problem, he seemed unaware of it.

The error message is one of the big problems with this, it make a D* csr go off and do signal trouble shooting, which it is not, and not do anything about the problem. I've even told csrs that if I told them the message, they'd do the worng thing. They insisted they wouldn't so I told them. Then they just went into the same pointless signal troubleshooting routine.

6. susanandmark

susanandmark New Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Oklahoma, USA
    This problem is still happening on one of our two DirecTV HD TiVos. (The other, about two months newer and not expanded with additional recording capacity/hard drives, has also had it happen, but only once or twice total.) It is now a weekly, if not more often occurrence that all the channels "disappear" from the TiVo (black screen with DirecTV "channel not available") and nothing records (the "recording history" states that there was a "power failure," even though the recorder had no problem at all--you can always watch existing recordings, etc. with no problems). It is always solved (at least temporarily) with a restart. All channels instantly reappear and recordings restart and happen normally.

We've actually "caught" the TiVo doing this one time. My husband was watching a live football game when the screen went blank and the banner came up. All other channels were also gone when we checked. A restart fixed it, per usual, but we can now guarantee that nothing particular is happening (not even volume was changed from when it was working to when it wasn't) when the channels disappear.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any insights into how to fix this problem? Is it a bad unit? Software issue? Any thoughts at all?

7. tedkunich

tedkunich New Member

Sep 9, 2005

If you know someone handy with a volt meter, have them check the power supply output voltages - you may have a weak supply and the upgrade performed on the unit is pushing it over the edge. I have no idea where to look, as I have never seen the inside of ome myself, but your description of a power fail being listed indicates that there may be a power supply issue with your box.

T

8. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I'm pretty sure its not a weak power supply or anything like that. I've had three (unmodified) examples do exactly the same thing.

The power failure excuse has nothing to do with there actually being a power failure. When it fails, it usually notes the first (on each tuner?) not recorded show as being due to an "Internal Error #4". Subsequent not recorded shows are noted as due to "Power failure, or the unit being switched off". It will do this even if there was no power failure, its just its addled attempt to describe why it, otherwise inexplicably, failed to record something.

The problem is the tuner crapping out. Its software. It'll only be fixed by software.

In the meantime, I had limited success with the clear and delete as noted above. Then adding season passes etc back slowly. That changed the behaviour from falling over every day or 2 to every week or 2. Clear and Delete is not a fix, just a way fo reducing the annoyance. Its falling over less frequently now that it ever did previously.