Loses Season View Option In Guide & Doesn't Show Episode Progress Bar

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by CIR-Engineering, Dec 16, 2017.

1. CIR-Engineering

CIR-Engineering Video Calibration & Electronics Repair Engineer

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...

Advertisements

I am having the same problem and found this here:
    Bolt loses Season View option in Guide | TiVo Troubleshooting | TiVo Help Forums

"I have had my Bolt for almost a year now with no problems. I love the option in the Guide to view the recorded episodes grouped by season. However, recently, this has stopped working. It only lists the episodes by record date and also doesn't show the progress bar to see how much I have viewed of each episode. If I restart the box, it works fine every time. I checked online and it was mentioned that it may be an issue with internet connectivity. I have checked internet and network connections each time and every time the connection passes. I have tried reconnecting to the TIVO service and when complete the guide issue is still there. I can access the streaming apps no problem. Nothing seems to work except for restarting the box and then it works for a day and fails the next day. It is connected to the Internet via MOCA with the TIVO Bridge. I have the correct MOCO cable splitter. I am hoping the new software update takes care of this but I don't know when that is coming out."

Is anyone else having this issue? Rebooting the Bolt every 24-48 hours is a real pain and is the only way I have found to restore the lost functions.

Thanks and kind regards,
    craigr

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I don’t ever remember using this out of the guide, but I just tried it. Highlight show , hit info, hit explore, hit episodes. Sorry Craig, it worked perfectly for me and I haven’t rebooted for quite some time.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Next time it happens, you may want to check if the less cumbersome UI Refresh button sequence restores functionality. (No guarantees; just worth a try.)

UI Refresh sequence, from TiVo Central:

Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up
    Play
    Play​

CIR-Engineering and jth tv like this.
  4. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Tank you for the idea. I have never heard of it before. Does this need to be done on any particular TiVo menu screen, or just enter the commands anywhere?

Best,
    craigr

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

Also, this is probably related to a bug with Standby/Power saving mode so turn those off for now until it's fixed.

Scott

CIR-Engineering likes this.
  6. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Another excellent suggestion, thank you.

I have my unit set to maximum power saving right now. I was so pleased to see that implemented coming from the Premiere, but I guess I will try go back to always leaving the TiVo on.

Kind regards,
    craigr

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I know it works* from TiVo Central, the main screen.

And if it works, heed @HerronScott's post re: Standby.

edit: * or at least does its thing; which doesn't guarantee it'll work for your situation.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    CIR-Engineering likes this.
  8. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Just to clarify, I don't think we are talking about the same thing. This is what happens, the BLUE B for "sort (season)" disappears and the RED C for view (recordings) disappears. Also, the progress bars for how much of each episode has been watched disappears.

The photo below is when it's working properly:
    tivo.jpg

The photo below shows the problem:
    tivo menu problem.jpg

Thanks again to all!
    craigr

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What may be confusing to some are the references to "Guide" in the thread title and OP, where Guide has a specific meaning within the TiVo UI: the screen displaying the upcoming TV schedule, as in TV guide. The screen you describe is typically not accessed via the (channel) Guide, but through the My Shows listing -- though it can be accessed via the Guide using the roundabout Explore method described above.

10. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Yeah you are right I think. I mostly just copied the other poster from forums.tivo.com so the posters errors became my errors. I think it should read "My Shows" instead of guide...

...is there a way to edit the title of this thread? I don't see it, maybe a moderator can change it for me?

Best,
    craigr

11. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    So nothing happens when I do this on the TiVo Central screen... is something supposed to indicate that the UI Refresh has executed? I do have the TiVo sounds turned off, is there a chime or something?

Thanks again,
    craigr

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  12. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Just edited my post above adding this photo showing the problem.

tivo menu problem.jpg

I have not disabled power saving yet, I wanted it see if the UI Refresh would fix it... it did not, but as I said in my above post, nothing at all happened when I did the UI refresh. I'm running FW 20.7.4RC18. Does the UI Refresh possibly only work on Hydra?

On a side, it is amazing how fast the BOLT reboots, just a couple minutes compared to the FOREVER of my Premiere and the long time of the Mini V2.

craigr

13. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    You'll know if it works. It takes a few seconds and I think it says "Please wait a moment" (or something like it). You must be on the main Tivo Central screen for it to work.

Alternatively, you can just reboot the entire box.

The bug is, the refresh/reboot will work until the box goes to sleep or standby again, then all your problems will come back. I bet you're also missing the SKIP icon for the shows that should have it.

The work around is to disable power saving and do not use standby. That prevents it from coming back.

14. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Just to clarify, the "main Tivo Central screen" is the first screen that comes up when I press the TiVo button right?

I am using remote code 1, does this make a difference?

Thanks again,
    craigr

15. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Sorry, I was being stupid too early in the morning after being up until 3:00 AM last night. I was pressing DOWN > UP instead of Thumbs Down > Thumbs Up... once I reread your post I was able to do it :oops:

Thanks,
    craigr

krkaufman likes this.
  16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just an aside: why are you using IR mode?

17. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    So I guess this is a known issue, but does TiVo know about it? HerronScott pointed it out a few posts up, but I really want to use the power saving so that my hard drive spins down. My WD40NPZZ 4TB was not cheap and it's hot inside the TiVo so I really want it to spin down whenever it can.

Best regards,
    craigr

18. CIR-Engineering

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Good point, no, the remote is set to RF and paired.

I change the IR codes because the Premiere in the theater room has an IR relay that goes to the living room so if I don't have the two boxes on different IR channels than when I change a channel on the BOLT or Premiere from the theater room both boxes respond.

We do a Superbowl party every year and have the BOLT on an HDMI distribution system so that it shows the same image on every TV in the house at the same time... Also, the BOLT is the primary TiVo for both the kitchen and living room...

craigr

JoeKustra likes this.
  19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It definitely works on pre-Hydra, and you should see the screen go black for a second or two.

I'd give it another try, making sure you're doing the sequence exactly as shown. (You know which is the Play button, right?)

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    With Hydra on a Roamio, it works. You have to be at TiVo Home.