Lose the FIOS Quantum Gateway

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Lou Cetrangelo, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dec 9, 2017 #1 of 17
    Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017

Advertisements

I'm having FIOS installed for 100/100 internet only. I want to know if I can eliminate the Verizon Gateway. I have a Bolt and two minis that will be connected to my OTA antenna and internet. Actually I currently have just the Bolt connected to the antenna and the internet. it is using optimum with their modem and my Netgear Orbi Mesh Router.

I have coax in the garage branching out to 3 rooms. The FIOS box will also be in the garage. My OTA antenna cable comes directly in to my den where my router and bolt is. Right now I have the antenna connecting to the bolt coax port and Ethernet from my router. A single coax cable runs from the garage to the modem. It would normally be replaced with the FIOS Gateway.

Is there a way I could somehow use the moca in the Bolt or buy a moca bridge, connect my router and eliminate the need for the FIOS gateway?

It is very difficult to run a new cable from the garage to the den as there is a finished sheetrock ceiling in the basement below. I do have an Ethernet cable that runs from a security camera system in the garage to the network switch in the den. I could double it up to two lines but i would rather not do that. I know it is possible for the tech to run Ethernet out of the FIOS box but I think it would kill my bandwidth if I doubled it up.

You may have seen my earlier posts. I was originally going to purchase a Roamio and two minis but with the recent sale I got the Bolt VOX and two Mini Vox units.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Lou

2. Dec 9, 2017 #2 of 17
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Does FiOS require Ethernet connections for 100/100 service?

You could double-up on the Cat5, limiting the bandwidth to 100 Mbps max, or dedicate the Cat5 to the ONT-to-router connection, and then use MoCA to deliver a network connection to the garage camera. ???

If you don't use Cat5/6 for the ONT/router connection, the FiOS gateway or some other MoCA device would be needed to bridge the MoCA WAN connection to the router's Ethernet WAN port.

The BOLT or a standalone MoCA adapter could establish your MoCA network in the absence of the FiOS gateway, though a standalone adapter would be the standard approach.

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #3 of 17
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. Dec 9, 2017 #4 of 17
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    A normal Fios install will be via Ethernet, so you can use any router you would like. If you run into problems with your internet service and aren't using a Verizon router, you may have to wait for a truck roll to troubleshoot/fix problems but that is usually rare.

5. Dec 9, 2017 #5 of 17
    Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017

Advertisements

I am not sure what you mean when you ask "Does FiOS require Ethernet connections for 100/100 service?" FIOS internet service will be 100 up and down only on Ethernet. WiFi will be slower.

The Verizon Gateway has coax coming in and wifi router all built into one unit. I think it is using Moca. I prefer to have wifi with my Mesh router.

Attached are two diagrams. One having Ethernet out of the Verizon box but then I have to double up an existing Ethernet line going to my den. The second uses my existing coax line with a moca bridge to my router. I am not sure is this will work.

View attachment 31948

6. Dec 9, 2017 #6 of 17
    Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017
    oops I did not include the the other diagram. Here it is. TIVO Bolt Ver1.JPG TIVO Bolt Ethernet Ver1.JPG

7. Dec 9, 2017 #7 of 17
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm referring to the WAN connection between the ONT and router/gateway device, either Ethernet or MoCA WAN, not how your customer devices are networked on the LAN side of the router/gateway.

An Ethernet WAN connection would be preferable, generally, for the reason cited by @fcfc2...
    ... if the customer is looking to use their own router.

8. Dec 9, 2017 #8 of 17
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not necessarily, per my previous comment:
    edit: p.s. Like this...

TIVO Bolt Ethernet Ver1-B (MoCA adapter for camera).JPG
    ... presuming there's power available nearby for the garage MoCA adapter.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  9. Dec 9, 2017 #9 of 17
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Is your garage camera a POE unit by any chance?

krkaufman likes this.
  10. Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Oh I see now. I thought you were using my coax line to the den for the camera. Thanks that will be a clean install.

By the way I am getting 50 English speaking TV channels on my antenna pointing to NYC which is 45 miles away on Long Island.

11. Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Yes it does use power over Ethernet for the cameras. It has 16 channels but I only use 8 cameras. The Video Recorder Unit is in the garage and the camera are outside of the house.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, FYI... I noticed that the "Ethernet WAN" diagrams (yours and mine) are both missing the necessary "PoE" MoCA filter on the splitter input connecting to the antenna.

13. Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, and ideally on the input of the splitter.

A standard 1GHz cable splitter can work*. "Designed for MoCA" Holland or Verizon splitters are preferred, if upgrading.

>See here< for preferred MoCA-compatible parts.

---
    * h/t @fcfc2

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know how this affects the alternative plan to network the garage camera via MoCA, which I expect was @fcfc2's concern.

16. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Also, I don't think if you were going to try and split that one Ethernet cable from the ONT, that this POE element would be a problem but I am not 100% certain that the power flows over those other 2 pairs of wire.

krkaufman likes this.
  17. Lou Cetrangelo

Lou Cetrangelo Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Sorry for not checking in until now. I discovered that my walk in closet in my basement is just below my TV in the Den. It has a drop ceiling and I was able to run a new 100' Cat5 cable from the Verizon FIOS box in the garage to my wifi router in my den.

The mini's connect to existing coax using the built-in moca bridge in the bolt. Other than a weak signal on CBS everything is cool. I'm getting 60 OTA channels on my antenna from NYC which is 43 miles away.

I'm having some issues with video quality on Netflix Hulu and Amazon. These services work fine on my Computer and Blu-ray player but I should take this issue to a new topic.

Lou

kpeters59 and krkaufman like this.