Lord have mercy ...has JoeSchueller gotten 6.3a yet?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Sir_winealot, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 37
    Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

Advertisements

I know you're chomping at the bit for this upgrade Joe ....you are a man of principle and refuse to try "Clear program info and To Do list."

And by golly, who can blame you? :p :D

I've read that you're forcing calls all the time, day after day ....and it's killin' me too ...as more and more people are seeing 'Pending restart' on their units, I just gotta know.

Have you gotten the freakin' upgrade yet?

IF ANYBODY AT D* IS READING THIS.....GIVE JOE HIS 6.3a DAMMIT!!!!!

;)

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 37
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Hmmm. All this going on while I'm looking for ways to go back to 3.1.

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 37
    WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Cant you just Instantcake back to 3.1?

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 37
    Markman07

Markman07 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    Remove Drive.
    Zipper Drive.
    Use the Script (by Honda something) found in Underground and download slices.
    Use Slicer 1.3 or run commands to upgrade without preserving hacks.
    done! :) YOU get the upgrade when YOU want it and not when Direct decides you are ready!

5. Oct 4, 2006 #5 of 37
    JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004

Advertisements

ROFL... you are the man.

I've never been so (dis)honored as to have my very own thread.

To answer the question, no I have not. I had been making 2 calls a day in hope of getting it, but finally gave up and got a life.

There's still no way I'll do any sort of housekeeping that requires me to go back and re-add all my season passes and settings, so I'm living with my "Please Wait..." and slow guide.

I'd actually like to thank D* for keeping my HR10 so pitifully slow. It has made me realize that this is just freakin' TV, and perhaps I should get my rear end off the couch and out from time to time. My employer, however would like to kill D* because it has caused me to spend waaayyy more time on TCF than ever before.

6. Oct 4, 2006 #6 of 37
    Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

My day will suck now. I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

Why do I have a feeling that you're gonna be one of the last people to get upgraded? :D

7. Oct 4, 2006 #7 of 37
    JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Let's just agree to agree that I will be THE last.

My goal now is not to watch for it, to just be pleasantly suprised when I go to the "Now Playing" list one day and see the option to activate folders, or when I notice that the guide has a whole bunch of channels I don't want in it.

The one thing this whole nonsense has made me incredibly aware of is how much I hate all these content distributors and the copyright cartel. If it wasn't for ESPN, I'd be tempted to build a HTPC and go 100% OTA and BitTorrent. If I took what I spent on D*, the HD pack, and HBO every month and just went out and bought blu-ray or HD DVD's of the shows and movies I like, I'm sure it would come out about the same, and most of my season passes are for OTA shows, and the others could probably be had by RSS/BitTorrent. The only problem is that there's just no decent way to get ESPN/2 via HD without paying some horrifying monopoly like the Cable Company or over-paying D* for all the other worthless junk that comes with it.

[/rant] I think I need some more coffee.

8. Oct 4, 2006 #8 of 37
    eengert

eengert New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Joe, You're still letting your box update even with the numerous issues being reported? I decided not to (though I waivered for a while) now that there are multiple reports of audio dropouts and missed or partial recordings, as well as a channel message when you change channels and maybe another one or two issues that I can't think of right now. Just too much risk for me. I've lived with the extreme slowness and reliability of 3.1 for a year now, so I'm sure I can wait until they fix these problems with a new version of the update. I've been an unofficial beta tester before (R15) and don't want to go through that again - especially not on my one and only HD box, which is the main receiver in the house.

Where in the world is Earl to give us some rumors about 6.3b that might give us some comfort?!

9. Oct 4, 2006 #9 of 37
    primetime73

primetime73 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Hey Joe I have two HR10's running and neither has received the update yet either. Given everyone's complaints about the sound I am not sure I want it but the folders and speed would be nice.

10. JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    No doubt will I let it upgrade.

1) I rarely (never) fire up my audio system to do DD. Almost everything I do is PCM over the HDMI port. From what I read, a lot of the problems are related to DD over optical. If I have problems with the HDMI, I can always go to DVI and use analog audio (RCA jacks) to work around the issue until it is fixed (if ever).

2) Reading these forums is a one-way ticket to paranoia. The likelihood of someone coming here to say "holy crap my TiVo is busted" is much higher than someone coming to report that everything is 100% normal. If 10% of the people have problems, and they're 90% more likely to post than the 90% who didn't, you're going to get a warped view. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed and here looking for a solution if it happened to me, but once I get 6.3a working properly, my active participation in this forum will start to drop off again.

3) The HR10 with 3.5f annoys the living hell out of me. As SirW and I have debated in other places (hence this thread), the fact that it was deployed needing occasional user maintenance that causes a bunch of user re-work is just insane to me. The fact that I need to limit my use of season passes to keep performance acceptable is really frustrating. A lot of people paid a lot of money for these things on the promise of it being great, and at best, the HR10 is average. I'm hoping 6.3a makes that investment seem a little less disappointing.

4) If it is really that bad, I'll hack/instacake it back to 3.5f. I'm pretty sure Chris (cheer) is contemplating that in the audio dropout thread.

11. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Damn, just when I was gonna offer to stop by your house while you were at work and force a few calls for you I find out that you are a "sunshine patriot." :( :D

12. JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    fair weather all the way baby... I want these suckers to work in a "lights out" mode. If I'm hear, it means I'm having problems or just REALLY bored in the office ;-)

13. eengert

eengert New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    All valid points as far as they go in reality, which you'll only find out for sure after the upgrade.

On #1, you may be fortunate enough not to experience dropouts or have a workaround that works for you. However, some have reported that no workaround attempt works for them - even analog cables. That's one reason I've decided not to let it update. I could live with a workaround like analog for a short time while waiting for a fix, but I can't live with trying to watch programs where audio is missing for lengths of time.

#2 is absolutely correct. However, since multiple people are having problems (approx. 50% of the poll responders), that's too much risk for me since I can't go back to 3.1 if 6.3 hoses my box. And of the 50% who haven't reported a problem, what if they just hadn't seen it in the first few days when they voted? Although the comments on this board may not represent a widespread problem (we don't know), there are enough that it makes it too risky for me.

#3 - I too abhor the slowness of 3.1. Heck, I even complained about the R10 with 6.1 when I first got it. I argued with some that called it fast, telling them they'd simply become used to using a slow interface. However, increased speed does not offset inability to watch programs (either due to audio dropouts or missed recordings). And since many people are having problems and I can't be sure if I will or won't, I'm sticking with what I know to be a reliable version, even if it is VERY slow.

All that said, I hope you don't have any problems with 6.3a. And I also hope that 6.3b is out soon and actually works for everyone because I really want faster menus and folders too.

Purely out of curiosity, what's your plan if you get audio dropouts that you can't find a way around and/or it misses recordings or makes partial recordings as some have reported? I'm under the impression that you can only rollback if your box is hacked, which mine isn't. If I knew of a way to rollback an unhacked box, I'd be inclined to give 6.3a a try. Also, I only have one HR10, so I can't just swap rooms like some have been able to do. Anyway, good luck when you get the update. I'll keep an eye out to see how it goes for you.

14. kalphoto

kalphoto New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Joe-

If it makes you feel any better... I'm still waiting too. Got the "upgrade message" last week.... still nothing. Sitting on 3.1.5f or whatever the heck that version is.

As you say, it is only tv... we will survive.

15. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Hmm, this is a really good idea the more I think about it! 80% of what I watch is OTA anyway, with the exception of Nip/Tuck, Battlestar Galactica, and a few others which of course I could get off Bitorrent anyway. No more waiting around for a pathetic software update that should have come with the machine when it was introduced anyway. The extra $70 a month would sure be nice too. The only problem is my daughter who likes to watch cartoons on Boomerang/Nick, etc.

16. Sanjoseguy

Sanjoseguy New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Heck, you're not alone, Joe. I own two HR-10s and neither have been upgraded. I live here in Los Gatos, CA and I figure I'll eventually have to call them and beg for the upgrade.

Keeping the faith (sorta),

SJ

17. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    InstantCake or restore an image (more or less the same thing) -- that's the only way.

18. JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    eengert:
    If 6.3a causes some serious issues I can't workaround quickly, I'll go down the hacking road. I'll wipe the HDD clean with a 3.5f image that I'm sure can be found by reading "other" forums and go from there.

kbohip:
    ESPN is one problem for me, the other is usability. I'm not sure I'd make the investment in time and energy to ensure that I'd have 10 foot interface for my HTPC for downloading, storing, and managing content. If it wasn't for my wife and kids, I'd just drop a wireless mouse & kbd near the couch, but that won't fly. Needs to be simple and work off the remote. While I believe this CAN be done with Myth or other MediaCenter software, it would require some time/work to really get it working right. It would be far more time-intensive that sitting here bitching about software other people write ;)

19. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Don't be so sure. I do an awful lot of bitching. :p The useability and wife/kids issue has really stopped my plans of building an HTPC as well. Like you said, if it were just me at the house I'd have a wireless keyboard/mouse by the couch and it'd be no problem. The only other problem would be expense. Having to buy two expensive HD tuner cards plus building a PC to go along with it would really add up.

20. JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Sell your HR10 on eBay, stop paying D*, and I bet your budget will cover it. Compare the cost to $800 + monthly service for an S3 and the HTPC option doesn't look that bad.