Looks like the new pricing is now permanent

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by plazman30, May 18, 2011.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
  2. Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Katy, TX
    And current owners on annual contracts get screwed. They will not let me out of my current annual committment to instead grab the lifetime ($299 each for multi-service). Instead I cannot "renew" until my current annual committment expires (August) thereafter they no longer offer annual service. Starting tomorrow it's month to month only or else $399 each for two or $499 for 1

In the current economy I think this is a very unwise decision that could result in customers dropping the service. I paid full price for my two TIVO Premier's w/no discount and now basically I am screwed.

I think TIVO is headed for a Class Action lawsuit over this.

3. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    This is hilarious! TiVo trying to charge a premium for a half-baked system? I can't wait to see how this pans out. Life truly is stranger than fiction.

4. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    Thanks Tivo you narrowed my choice down to upgrade my two Series two machines to Tivo Hd boxes or two MCE machines.

They can keep the Premieres for their "Premiere" pricing!

5. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I'll wait and see what actually shows up for renewal pricing once the new pricing is in effect before getting too animated about it.

It would be foolish for TiVo to drop annual renewal rates. Not only would they drive some subscribers off with the higher rate, they'll also lose the additional commitment that those subscribers make with an annual payment.

6. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    You have to figure the options in. Going back to the cable company dvr @ $17 a month (mediacom in my case) and another $17 for two cable dvr's ($17x2=$34 plus taxes/fees/etc etc. Cable companies are good at adding in the etc's to their bill)
    Then.. another $17 added to the above for the cable "multi-room" service to share recordings between two or more cable dvr's. Now we are up to $51 plus tax and etc's, going the cable company route.
    But the bottom line.... does it all work?
    I have never had my tivo's fail at transferring recordings from one unit to another.
    ANd the cable company multi-room service...? It always fails....
    It fails to see a recording made on another cable dvr. It fails to play a recording made on the other dvr. Since the multi-room service usually shares one hard drive, all dvr's record to that one hard drive, that in itself causes a lot of weirdness and failure on the multi-room system.
    Whereas the tivo just works!

So more so than cost of pricing, is the value you get from that pricing.
    I don't mind paying for something that works and works well. My issue is paying for 2 cable company dvr's AND multi-room service, and then that NOT working as advertised. All was the case with my experience going cable dvr vs. tivo.
    Once they get the cable-card(s) going in the tivo unit(s), no cable company dvr service can touch the tivo service as to reliability and dependability.
    I don't mind paying the $20 a month per tivo unit. Not when everything works as advertised. Not when I can share recordings. And have Netflix intergraded into the unit as well.

PS. Speaking of MCE boxes. Good luck with THAT!!!!
    I've built several MCE boxes. Going that route didnt last long.
    Don't get me started...
    Remember, you're working with Microsoft and Windows there... Nuff said?

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Looks like TiVo did what you said would be "foolsih." OK, now what? You are my favorite TiVo apologist :). Molly Wood and even Brian Tong down on TiVo? Seriously, it would be interesting to see at what point TiVo would lose you. You are a true believer and your loyalty is admirable.

8. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    What would be the legal basis for this? Can't Tivo change their pricing policy pretty much whenever it wants after your current contract expires?

I've got a TivoHD w/ PLS, and an S2 w/ annual service that expires in a few months. My only choice for that one is to go up to $12.95/month w/ 1-year commitment, or PLS for $499, (or maybe not select a future plan at all and get another annual renewal at my old price?). I'll probably just let it gather dust after moving all my season passes to the 1Gb HD and recordings to my PC. Maybe I'll get a Premiere, depending on what the MSD prices are for monthly or PLS. I really don't want PLS on my S2 as I fear my cable company may be going all digital at some point in the future.

I just will wait and see what becomes available.

9. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    None unless the terms of the current contracts indicate that pricing is guaranteed at the end of the contract. I agree it's not the best customer relations move but a class action suit is pointless unless affected customers are looking to fatten the wallets of attorneys.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could easily buy a used S2 with lifetime service for under $200. It doesn't make sense to buy service from Tivo on an S2.

11. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I was only 3 months into my 1 year commitment. I figured with the new pricing plan was going to cost $100 more to end up with lifetime and $230 dollars more then somebody who buys a premeire now. They let me out of my contract to buy the lifetime now. It allowed me to pay less then I was already going tp pay to go to lifetime but more then a new customer would now only because of the 3 1/2 monthly fees I already paid. If you aren't happy call and be firm to see what they will do for you.

12. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    I've been running media center for over a year now as my main DVR with two XBOX 360s as extenders.

It has been mostly set and forget. It works very well.

I have three boxes with media center (and CableCARD) but my main box is a dedicated media center with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 quad cable card tuner.

13. jmil_draws

jmil_draws New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I'm about to complete my first year with my premiere. I just got my auto renewal notice from tivo, and it says that I'm going to be charged the 129 annual rate (plus tax) on July 20. They're also offering 100 off the lifetime renewal if I upgrade. So it seems I'm being grandfathered in, has anyone else experienced this?

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

That means it should work very well, like the vast majority of MS products I've used.

15. crazee8

crazee8 New Member

Jan 30, 2009

I upgraded before the new pricing became effective and the CSR told me that I would be grandfathered at the old annual pricing of $99/$129. I'm very skeptical about verbal statements over the phone - but that is what he said.

16. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    I got a Premiere about 3 months ago (the $99, $19.99/month for a year price). I called, and they said I couldn't upgrade to lifetime until the end of my year contract. I said "so basically you're saying I need to pay $240 more than if I waited and bought my Tivo today? Really?" He agreed that wasn't fair, and let me switch to lifetime immediately.

17. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I called today and asked for the $299 lifetime. I was told she had to escalate it and I "might" get it in 3-5 days. I'm not holding my breath.

18. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Now everyone looks at the pricing and decides whether it's worthwhile to them. For me that doesn't happen until payment is due in September.

Right now my future options show $12.95 monthly or $499 lifetime. I don't consider $12.95 a month to be unreasonable, but TiVo is foolish not to give me an option to commit for another year at a discount.

If (God forbid) my S3 died today I wouldn't mind to purchase a Premiere (new or refurb) with lifetime. That's still a reasonable cost over the life of the box. I would seriously weigh my other options if $20 per month forever were my only choice.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

it's been my experience that they let you stay on the pricing you have as long as you dont make any changes.

I've got 2 S3 boxes from 1996 that I still pay only 6.95 a month for because I have a lifetime box in service (pioneer dvd-r from 2003- that bugger just keeps on ticking!) I think it's been some years now since the multi service discount has been 6.95?

20. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I think month to month plans are treated differently, than annual but we'll see. jmil_draws can you check to see what your account shows for "future plan" now? Mine shows none selected.