Looks like the HDD will have to come out again

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by gadgetgaz, Jan 14, 2006.

1. gadgetgaz

gadgetgaz New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Billingley,...
    After yet another crash my TiVo has stopped responding to any network connection. I cannot ping it, or ftp it or http it or even telnet to a bash prompt - nothing. Everything else is working ok and the little tivoweb module that shows the space used up in "now showing" is loading and running ok.

In fact it may be that module that is causing the problems because it is usually whilst on the "now showing" screen when the crashes occur.

I'll have t remove the drive and re-run nic_install to see if that restores a corrupt file.

2. gadgetgaz

gadgetgaz New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Billingley,...
    Here's a lesson for everyone. Assume nothing. I'm so glad I didn't pull my drive since I've now find the problem was with my wireless bridge. It was just a coincidence since I lost contact with TiVo after a crash.
    Phew!

3. jar_uk1

jar_uk1 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Bracknell,...
    let us know what the solution was as I seem to have an almost identical problem. No tivoweb/ping/telnet but when I pulled the drive, the hacks folder etc was all there. I did wonder if the turbonet had gone, but I had to put the tivo back together (upcoming recordings!). So this has kind of hampered further investigation for the moment.

On my unit nic_install ran but made no diff.

john r

4. gadgetgaz

gadgetgaz New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Billingley,...
    I use a SqueezeBox3 network music player which is wireless with an ethernet bridge facility.

I could ping the Squeezebox but not the TiVo so I assumed it was the TiVo that was at fault. But, as a last ditch attempt I re-ran the network setup on the SB and the TiVo started to return the pings!

5. jar_uk1

jar_uk1 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Bracknell,...
    Glad you sorted it out, unfortunately I think that I have a more fundemental problem, as I have had the tivo out, rerun nic_install, replaced cables, changed it to a different switch, and so on.

Of course it could be a really basic issue, and then I would feel a real eejit :)

John R