Looking to upgrade HDVR2 to Wireless

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by MrBluEyZz, Dec 31, 2005.

1. MrBluEyZz

MrBluEyZz New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Irvine, CA
    Which version of the software will work (and work best) for Wireless on a Series 2, Hughes HDVR2?

Is there a version that will support 802.11.g on?

I have been told:

* version 4.0.1 can be made to work with 802.11.b adapters but, is only USB 1.0.

* version 7.1 is best for ethernet but, does not support 802.11.g. Will this even work with DirecTivo?

Any other recommendations or suggestions?

Any recommended links?

Thanks in advance for everyone's advise.

Have a happy New Year.

Regards,

Michael

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check the underground forum for hints on how to hack your HDVR2 to allow networking.
    Be warned that it isn't easy as DirecTV DVRs don't have their USB ports enabled.

Happy New Year.

3. Jan 1, 2006 #3 of 27
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    Also, Google Tivo Zipper. BTW, it can be quite easy.

4. Jan 1, 2006 #4 of 27
    Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Michael,

With my HDVR2, I have 6.2. I used The Zipper as mentioned by SteelersFan. Once I got caught up on reading the Encyclopedia of a Zipper thread and made a few mistakes, it was really quite easy.

If I am not mistaken you will be limited to a b wireless adapter. 99.9% of the g adapters are not supported for the HDVR2. You'll need to read the wireless adapter thread as well. I am using the Linksys WUSB11, version 2.8 for all of mine. The support section of Tivo.com as a detailed list of adapters that will work. If it ain't on the list.........do not buy it. Good luck and happy reading.

5. Jan 1, 2006 #5 of 27
    LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    i just use a USB200M and a Linksys Wireless G Bridge, works great out of the (hacked) box.

6. Jan 1, 2006 #6 of 27
    DrEvil

DrEvil Evil Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Apex, NC
    I used a USB to ethernet adapter (Netgear FA120) to a Netgear WGE101 bridge on my hacked DirecTiVo's.

Problem with the USB200M's is you have to get a version 1 part. The current version 2 part will not work with the TiVo USB drivers. Gunnyman recommended the FA120, and I found some refurbished ones for $15 each. They've been working great for the couple of months since I did the hacks.

7. Jan 1, 2006 #7 of 27
    Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Yea the wired approach is most likely best. At least the fastest MRV and transferring option. There have been a lot of posts, off Tivo Community, that talk about the fragile nature of these type adapters. Have you guys had any problems?

8. Jan 1, 2006 #8 of 27
    MrBluEyZz

MrBluEyZz New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Irvine, CA
    Is there anyplace where I can find a comparison between the different versions of the OS or a list of each versions features/issues.

Dr. Evil wrote:

9. Jan 1, 2006 #9 of 27
    MrBluEyZz

MrBluEyZz New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Irvine, CA
    ....forgot to ask....

Are there particular versions of either device?? what all should I be looking to order to network 3 Tivo's?

Dr. Evil wrote:

10. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I've not had any problems with mine, but I do see how you could. The "jack" for the ethernet does seem excessively cheesy, but my rigs don't move a whole lot. I wholeheartedly agree that FA120's seem like a much more intelligent design.

As for the v1 vs v2 debate, the last several backport drivers and usb.map change seems to have fixed v2 issues.

11. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    For DirecTivos 6.2 is the latest software version. As far as finding a comparison I don't know.

12. jspencer

jspencer New Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Orlando FL
    No wireless g adapters yet

13. MrBluEyZz

MrBluEyZz New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Irvine, CA
    Hi All,

Everyone has been very helpful but I am still not sure I fully understand the complete configuration I need to move to:

Cable Modem --> WGT624 v2 802.11.g Router (can I still use this router?)

One WGE101 Bridge (to be purchased) -- Do I need more than one for the 3 TIVOs?

DirecTivo HDVR2 #1 nothing today --> (Netgear FA120 - to be purchased)
    DirecTivo HDVR2 #2 nothing today --> (Netgear FA120 - to be purchased)
    DirecTivo HDVR2 #3 nothing today --> (Netgear FA120 - to be purchased)

These TIVO's are probably 3-4 years old. Does this matter?

Tivo OS version :
    Which one is best to use (and more importantly, why):
    7.1?
    6.2?
    4.01?

Anything else I need to consider or install?

THanks in advance for everyone's help.

Regards,

Michael

14. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Where did you find these? Thanks !!!

15. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    I can't assist you with your specific router or bridge questions, as I do not have that model. Since you have decided on a wired network, any router will work as it serves only as the hub of your network.

6.2 is the latest version for the HDVR2. 7.1 and 7.2 are for stand-alone Tivos, those that do not have Directv tuners if I am not mistaken.

The fact that your Tivos are 3-4 years old is not a problem if they are running 6.2. If not and they are not active units, you may need a 6.2 software image to be able to easily install the USB enabling software and the other cool enhancements that are available. In addition, you will need the LBA48 boot CD from PTVUgrades, and the time and patience to read everything needed to pull it all off.

It really sounds worse than it is.

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Depending on the bridge, you might just need a switch to run all 3 DVRs off of one bridge.

17. DrEvil

DrEvil Evil Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Apex, NC
    First batch from a Pricegrabber storefront, second batch from Overstock.com.

But Froogle is your friend. They have them for $12.95 with free shipping here: http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/fa120r.html

18. DrEvil

DrEvil Evil Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Apex, NC
    MrBluEyZz, if all three HDVR2's are together then you would only need one WGE101 bridge, and a 10/100 switch (a Netgear FS605 or equivalent).

Otherwise you would need a WGE101 bridge for each HDVR2 if they are in separate locations.

The one nice thing about the WGE101 bridge is it can handle more than one ethernet device connected to it through a switch. The other Linksys and Netgear 802.11g Game adapters (Linksys WGA54AG or WGA54G, Netgear WGE111) will only work with one ethernet device. So if you don't need the capability to have more than one ethernet device connected to a bridge, you could use a game adapter instead if you prefer.

I believe 6.2 is preferable over 4.01 on the DirecTiVo's because folders were added and the guide updates onscreen faster than software older than 6.2.

19. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    I could be wrong.....but here it goes.

If I understand the WGT624 correctly, it has four CAT5 input ports on the back. These are in addition to the Cable/DSL port. If this is the case, why not not just run CAT5 from each Tivo to the router. Of course you'll need a USB/Ethernet adapter for each Tivo and the cables. If you want to really get "neat" with the install, CAT5 in-wall mount plates and boxes.

No bridge needed. Am I missing something?

20. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Dr.Evil,

Thanks for the link. I may just be wiring my Tivo network and selling my three WUSB11s.