Looking to re-enter the TiVO world.

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Gregavi, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Santa...
    Hi everyone,
    I was an early TiVO owner. I owned an HDR312 almost 20 years ago. I haven't owned one for many years though but have followed the company's progress over the years. I live in Santa Barbara, which is beautiful but as far as cable companies go, we have only one choice. Cox Cable (which I, like almost every customer they have, hate!). I have their Contour 2 DVR which is actually pretty good. The voice command feature works pretty well and over all, I'm pretty satisfied. I'm pretty sure it has 5 tuners. I have one mother box in my media room and one slave box in my living room. Both work pretty well. I also use their internet service.
    I previously had DirecTV with their Genie DVR. The mother box was fine but the slave box was horrible. Every remote command was sluggish at best. Good riddance when I switched to Cox. Cox's slave box works as well as the mother box. The problem I have with Cox is their price increases keep mounting. When I switched from DTV to Cox, they promised me a certain per month amount that would hold for a year, go up 10% the following year and beyond that there were no promises. I was OK with that. It was a good deal. After a few months, I noticed an increase and in a few more months, another increase. Next thing I know, I'm paying almost double what the original promise was. I called a few times and got the runaround before finally giving up.
    Here we are today and I'm looking to drop Cox, go back to DTV and purchase a TiVO so I don't have to put up with a substandard DVR. My question is, which TiVO system, new or used, should I be looking at. Mother box and 1 slave box. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this system but would like something similar to my Contour 2 in performance. I believe the my Contour 2 has 2 TB of storage. Advice appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. rie28

rie28 New Member

May 14, 2017
    I don't know if someone is still using DTV for their TiVo. Series 3 boxes and below cannot be activated/re-activated for older devices. How about stay with Cox and only pay for CableCard, does CableCard cost a lot? You can then purchase a newer TiVo Main DVR and get a TiVo Mini(Slave).

3. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    You can find some information about DirecTV TiVos here: THR22 DIRECTV HD TiVo DVR - Upgraded with up to 300 HD Hours. You will have to pay extra for the TiVo DVR service ($5/month?). It also sounds like the whole-home DVR service is not available with DirecTV TiVo. There's also no on demand.

Be warned that AT&T/DirecTV really wants you to buy their Genie DVRs.

I have a TiVo Premiere on Cox. It requires a cable card ($2.50/month) and a Digital Tuning Adapter (free, but almost the size of the TiVo). Cox prices keep on increasing but so do DirecTV's.

rie28 likes this.