Looking to expand memory on TiVo Premier. Is this drive compatible?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by timckelley, Jan 16, 2012.

1. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...

Advertisements

This site advertises a "Western Digital WDBACW0010HBK My Book Essential External 1TB - USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Brand New" for $129.00

I'm confused whether this is compatible with TiVo Premier though. I've read here that it needs to be a Western Digital My Book DVR expander, which this sounds like, but the photo on this link looks like an internal HD, even though the description says "external". Can any of you experts tell me if I'm looking at the right product?

My wife has just told me she'd like her TiVo Premier to have more space, so I'm looking at my options for doing that right now.

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No, that drive definitely will not work in a Premiere. In fact, I believe they discontinued the My DVR version that the Premiere works with. There may be a newer version that is compatible though.

3. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I read in the stickies that this isn't possible with the premier, but maybe that sticky is outdated and needs to be replaced. Is there by chance a thread here on how to do this? I've done it on S2s but I have a feeling the process is different on a premier.

4. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011

Advertisements

I've bought (2) of these 2TB drives from these guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-TiVo-Premiere-XL-2TB-Hard-Drive-Upgrade-Kit-/220707239250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33632d3552

They come pre-formated for TIVO Premiere. Literally plug and play. All you need is the correct Torx screw driver (which they will send you if you request it) ... No problems .. 317 hours of HD time .. Excellent guys to deal with too.

5. SullyND

SullyND W: 31-17 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The sticky is not current. It is possible on a premiere. Search for JMFS.

6. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
  7. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    Key wording is "USB" - the Premiere Tivo can not use a USB external drive. It needs eSATA interface external drive unit and even then needs the the correct hard drive inside the external box.

8. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Thanks for all these handy answers.

I see the price is currently $150, which you think will come down to $80. I'm not sure my wife will be patient enough to wait for the $80 price, though 2 TB for $150 seems like a good deal by itself. I was only going to give her an extra 1 TB, but when I mentioned to her she could get 2 TB, I think she smiled at that idea. Plus I assume this replaces the current drive... maybe I can usurp that drive for more space in my PC in the study, as I think I could use some more space. (Our photo albums are getting pretty big these days.)

I think I'd like to now go this route instead of using the external HD method, as it seems to give more space for less money. I'll see how it goes when I step through the instructions you linked to.

9. SullyND

SullyND W: 31-17 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Internal should also be more reliable (in that you have one less hard drive to fail - with an external drive if either goes both are toast [in terms of content]).

10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

I paid $80 about 6 months ago, but prices have gone up with the recent hard drive shortages. It replaces the current drive, but you'll want to keep that as is in case the 2TB ever fails. That way you can put it back in or make another copy.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Basically you hook both drives to your pc using the internal sata connections and boot from the cd you created with the iso you downloaded and follow the instructions. It is quite simple if you can handle hooking the drives up to a pc.

12. ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Upgrading the internal drive in a Premiere can be found in the Upgrade forum area, look for the super long thread on JMFS.

13. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Thats a good deal to buy it from that guy already loaded to go. I would wait though until 20.2 is fully rolled out though if you have it already as it looks like you would lose it for the time being

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You will have to re-pair your cablecards if you change drives so be aware of that.

15. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    Not to hijack, but can one upgrade the drive after buying lifetime subscription, or would this break contract?

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You lose your warranty but your lifetime still exists.

17. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Not necessarily true in all cases. Charter doesn't pair the cards to the machine and I also believe that Fios doesn't either.

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Not if you copy old drive to new with JMFS.

19. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Paying an extra $70 to put a smile on ones wife's face is cheap money :D
    It is likely to be several more months before the current hard drive spike in prices settles down to previous levels.
    For some links to stories google: hard drive shortage

If he changes to a hard drive that was not previously paired with his cable cards yes, but if he clones his existing hard drive to a new hard drive then no, it will already have the pairing info and wish lists.