looking to buy a Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jeffvid, Jan 17, 2006.

1. jeffvid

jeffvid New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    'm looking to buy a Tivo new or used and I have a couple of questions.

Is there any difference between the silver and the black face Series 2 40 hr machines?

I want to use the basic service only and just record shows manually, any opinions on the least expensive but with good quality Tivo to buy on eBay?

Thanks in advance
    Jeff

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The difference is hardware. Not to get into details, but the 240 models are the best S2 standalonse, overall.

None offer the "Basic" level of service. You need to get a DVD combo from Toshiba or Pioneer to get that.

3. jeffvid

jeffvid New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks, but I'm a novice. Is the 240 model silver or black.

By basic service I mean no subscription just use the box as a VCR

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Yes. We understand.

Generally speaking, you can't use a TiVo without service. Most of the first machines made (series 1s) will work the way you describe, but they're hard to find now.

Series 2 TiVos (and some say late series 1s as well) do not work without the TiVo service.

Then there's TiVo Basic, which will allow the machine to work with very limited TiVo features at no additional charge.

NO TiVo comes with TiVo Basic, unless it's one of the two brands that make the DVD combos. (Exclude Humax...no TiVo Basic. Believe the two to look for are Toshiba and Pioneer.)

Your question about the 240 is moot because I don't believe it's a DVD TiVo. You wouldn't be able to use a stand-alone Series 2 without service.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The 140 and 240 models are black, 540 silver. Sony SVR3000s are somewhat equivalent to 140, but silver.

If you are looking to not pay for service, then that is all academic, as you want a TiVo that is not a plain S2 stanalone, or something that is not a TiVo at all.