Looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Barker, May 8, 2017.

1. Barker

Barker New Member

May 8, 2017

Advertisements

Hi All:

I'm moving from Northern Virginia to the Raleigh, NC, area, and have decided that now appears to be a good time to cut the cord. I currently have Comcast Xfinity, but was looking to use Spectrum as my internet service provided in Raleigh and to then use TiVo and streaming platforms, coupled with digital antenna for local channels. I was going to use MoCA to backhaul everything through my house.

But now there's a wrench in the works. My wife and I are both Washington Nationals fans. MLB includes the Raleigh-Durham area in the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles home market areas, which means we can't stream their games in the Raleigh area. Momma says she has to be able to watch her Nationals or she's not happy. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

The only way to watch the Nationals in the Raleigh area is on the Mid Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), and the only service that carries MASN in the Raleigh area is DirecTV. (It's my understanding that Spectrum has been locked in a dispute with MASN for several years now, and that's why MASN isn't on cable here.) So now I have to get DirectTV just so I can get MASN.

Can someone suggest the best TiVo and/or DirecTV DVR equipment that will best integrate streaming, off-air and DirecTV content. It's my understanding that TiVo can't accomodate DirecTV, so do I have to have some type of switch between the TiVo/streaming/off-air content and DirecTV? Is there such a thing?

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

2. RoamioPete

RoamioPete Active Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Why go to all the trouble?

Just order DTV and they will most likely give you a decent Genie set up and you will have access to most everything you need (local channels, national channels) and for streaming just snag a ROKU or Chromecast for under $40 and call it good. You will then be able to record all your shows via DTV, watch them in any room and stream (ROKU) whatever it is you like.

Note I prefer Roku for streaming now, MUCH better interface to access all your fav streaming channels (like Netflix, Hulu)

Barker likes this.
  3. Barker

Barker New Member

May 8, 2017
    RoamioPete, I know nothing about DTV, so your straightforward recommendation is greatly appreciated.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I agree - just get DirecTV and a Roku.

Barker likes this.