Looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by johnhjohn, Apr 7, 2011.

1. johnhjohn

johnhjohn New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Due to economic conditions, trying to cut expenses. Currently have directv, wanting to cancel and go with OTA tivo. Some questions that I cannot find definitive answers for.

Does anyone know if the premiere refurb offer for 99.00 & 12.95 a month will return?

If I buy a used tivo series 3 hd or an hd one that is not the premiere from ebay, what will the monthly fee be? The 19.99 or 12.99.

Does tivo discount the monthly fee for 2 premieres purchased from tivo?

Is the Premiere improving, or would I be better off finding a used older model?

I will need 2 tivos and trying to figure out the best plan and if it would be enough of a savings to dump direct. 40 bucks a month would be steep, imo, to pay for OTA. Just trying to sort this out.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    You will get different answers from different people. :)

I personally bought an original Series 3 in near mint condition off eBay recently and replaced the Premiere on my account with it and I love it. It is as stable as any other model I have owned since 2001.

I tried using the SD menus on the Premiere and avoided any internet activity but suffered from repeated black screens, error messages claiming it could not find an active signal on the channel, and then rebooting. It now resides in a bedroom closet waiting for TiVo to someday fix the problems some of us have.

There are plenty of people who post here who have no problems whatsoever so you might get lucky with your purchase.

And yes, I did call and speak with multiple CSRs who claimed to never have heard of that problem with the Premiere.

3. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    If you get 2 HD or S3 tivo's off ebay, expect to pay $22.99/month ($12.99+9.99). Tivo offers a Multi service discount for the second machine of $9.99/m.

Some people would suggest you buy a lifetime subscription at $399 and then pay $9.99 a month for the second unit. The lifetime will reach the break even point at month 30. So in 2 1/2 years ish.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you are interested in saving money your lowest cost is to buy a TiVo with lifetime service. I have 3 differant models all used for OTA only so I can say I think they all work well with OTA. I would shop ebay for any of the HD TiVos with lifetime and buy 2 of them when the price is good. The five models are:

1. Premiere
    2. Premiere XL
    3. TiVo HD
    4. TIVo HD XL
    5. TiVo Series 3 HD

I have seen Premiere's on ebay with lifetime for $525 they are either new or near new. Used TiVo HD's with lifetime seem to be the cheapest.

Good Luck,

5. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    John,

If you are going OTA only, then I again would recommend the original S3 if you can find one. Locals that were good on the Premiere are now very good to excellent on the S3 in my location. One local that I could not get on the Premiere at all now comes in fair via the S3. This is by using an indoor antenna; you may have different results in another location or by using an outdoor antenna. So many variables are at play here.

6. johnhjohn

johnhjohn New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Thanks for all of the responses, lots of great information. One last set of questions, is does the series 3 work for netflix, and can you view stored videos on a pc on the tivo 3 and would the 2 units be able to share recorded programs between each other?

Thanks again!

7. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    The 3 does do Netflix, and you can transfer recordings to a PC. Don't know about the other direction.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes.

Yes. Provided that they are in the proper format (.tivo or .mpg)

Yes. Exceptions would be web videos or shows downloaded from Amazon, etc.

9. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    What this guy said.

Except this:

The Series 3 with Netflix is subpar. It often crashes the box.

The ones saying Netflix is crashing the Premieres probably have bad hardware. I regularly had Netflix crash my S3 (that worked for years without crash otherwise), but my new Premieres never crash/seize up with Netflix.

You initially stated OTA only.

Now you're adding all kinds of network needs (Netflix, MRV, etc.). The Premiere will be much better if you're dong LOTS of networking. If you're mostly watching OTA and networking once in a while, the S3 (or HDTiVO) will do fine.