Looking for Recommendation on 8 port Network switch.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mjthor1, Jun 24, 2018.

1. mjthor1

mjthor1 Member

May 31, 2006
    Arizona

Advertisements

I am looking to add a Network switch to my house as all my rooms are wired with Ethernet. I am using a Motorola MB8600 Cable Modem that supports Gigaspeed DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1. Any recommendations on Network switches that I could get that work well with TiVo. I have used MoCA in the past put would rather utilize the Ethernet wiring in the house. I am using 1 TiVo Bolt, 1 Roamio Plus, and 2 Minis. TIA

2. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
  3. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Pretty much at this point, any gigabit network switch works. Your needs are light, so spending more than $50 on one doesn't make sense. Just get whatever is on sale anywhere.

That link gives you one that'll be good enough.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  5. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas

Advertisements

I'd say the netgear one on the comparison table is better than the toilet paper link one. Cheaper too.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    How better? Your "toilet paper" suggests a bias against TP-Link --- why?

7. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Managed switches then PoE will jump you up in price tier over basic unmanaged hubs. If you don't need those features there are less differences in manufacturers in my opinion.

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Performance-wise probably pretty similar.

I never tested the back-plane if they could do 16Gbps when all ports are saturated in both directions so maybe there is a difference there, maybe not.

Power-wise I think they were around 1-3W depending on if they were idle, but it wouldn't be a huge difference in absolute numbers.

I like the Netgear GS108 V4s because they don't use electrolytic capacitors. The TP-Link I looked at used the standard off-brand capacitors.

If you move up to managed or smart switches, you probably need to turn off IGMP snooping to get it working with multiple TiVos as they will sometimes filter TiVo broadcast packets.

foghorn2 likes this.
  9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Interesting that the chart shows IGMP Snooping on an unmanaged switch. Having that on has caused issues for Mini's at least and if it's unmanaged then you would have no way to disable it.

upload_2018-6-24_10-30-35.png

Their website indicates this is V2 and later versions.

Support 802.1p/DSCP QoS1 and IGMP Snooping function1

1. For V2 and later version

Scott

10. mjthor1

mjthor1 Member

May 31, 2006
    Arizona
    So I should be looking for No IGMP Snooping if I am looking at unmanaged switches then?

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    OK, so I have a single TiVo and a single mini. Using the TP-Link unmanaged switch (presumably with IGMP snooping that can't be turned off) I have no problems with either pyTiVo or the mini. Does this prove that IGMP is not a problem with this switch for TiVo's and Mini's in general? Or does it depend on how many TiVo's or Mini's are used?

12. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I can think of a couple of explanations
    1) TP-Link implementation of IGMP snooping does not affect TiVo (or it is triggered to turn on after encountering some packets that aren't present in your system)
    2) You switch is V1 variety, before they added IGMP Snooping.
    3) TiVo adjusted their implementation so the switch thinks they are an IGMP listener (and thus won't filter the packets to the port TiVo is attached to)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  13. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Personally I think it is safest, but it doesn't mean it will or won't work. People have had issues before with TiVo's seeing each other and it was fixed by disabling IGMP snooping. Whether that was a bug in IGMP snooping or a feature of IGMP snooping was never determined. I don't think this TP-Link has DIP switches, but sometimes unmanaged switches can still be configured with DIP switches.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    This is what Netgear KB says on the topic of IGMP snooping in their routers
    Default IGMP settings may affect multicast streams on NETGEAR Web Managed Plus Switches | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Mikeguy and foghorn2 like this.
  15. sakaike

sakaike Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Huntington...
    In addition, I believe that most (but perhaps not all) issues with TiVo and IGMP Snooping have been related to problematic Moca installations. Since it appears the OP's setup is not Moca, this may not be an issue. However, for future-proofing, it still may make sense to have a non-IGMP Snooping switch. In my case, all my switches (3), are cheap Netgear unmanaged 8-port GB switches. Rock solid.

16. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Could you explain why this is a Moca related issue? TiVo would seem to send the same broadcast packets for device discovery whether using Moca or Ethernet since those are layer 1/2 and TiVo broadcasts are layer 3.

17. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I've seen the IGMP problem happen in non-moca environments. I really wish I had been in a position to take packet traces.

There are far to many unanswered questions both about Tivo's Minis multicast use, how they interact with IGMP on a good day, how the subject switches implement IGMP Snooping when turned on, whether they include a built in IGMP Querier, etc... to assign blame.

dlfl likes this.
  18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I agree as well. If it were me, I'd buy a different one just to avoid something that could potentially cause a problem. I may be a bit biased as I've had issues with IGMP snooping at work when it's accidentally been left enabled on our server ports (DHCP issues typically) and this is in an enterprise environment (Cisco switches/routers, Dell and Cisco servers). :)

Scott

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  19. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Moca plays absolutely no part in my network, yet turning on IGMP causes my TiVo devices to fail to connect to each other. Hence, I conclude any advice from this post should be ignored.

Regarding IGMP and "managed" switches, NetGear doesn't seem to consider its ProSafe line to be "fully managed", but its options may be set from a browser connection, including turning IGMP off. I like the NetGear ProSafe series since I learned to turn off IGMP.

Some people here on TCF have reported problems with "green" switches; because of these warnings I have avoided them and have no personal experience with them. These days I suspect any switch that is "web managed", like the ProSafe series for example, is suitable for use with TiVos because problematic options will be configurable.