Looking for NAS for dcx900 TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sybernut, Mar 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sybernut

sybernut New Member

Mar 25, 2018

Advertisements

Hello

I'm new to this forum, have briefly searched under 'NAS' and got some hits but my initial research shows that NASs that allow downloads from a TiVo might be TiVo-model specific... here is one example of such a NAS model that I'm not sure exists anymore:
    How to archive and playback TiVo recordings to the ReadyNAS | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I have recently started renting an Arris dcx900 from the local cable company (Cogeco). Have tried both (an old) TiVo Desktop PC app which the TiVo is blocking from access, as well as the Cogeco TiVo Android app which seems pretty well useless. Have been thinking of getting a NAS for other reasons as well, and was wondering if anyone could point me to a model that would allow downloading from this TiVo unit. Also wondering what % of shows typically allow such downloading (the Cogeco app seems to 'allow' downloading on every show I've tried so far but either never finishes 'initializing' or the transfer does not complete).

Thank you

2. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    No one else has answered yet so I'll give you a few ideas to SEARCH on. I don't have an Arris, or a Bolt (what I believe I've read the dcx900 is a clone of) but you can try:
    1. Keywords: "ReadyNAS Bolt" for userid: @dianebrat
      - not very promising if your firmware is similar to Gen4 / Hydra
    2. See if your dcx900 allows you to install the Plex client app
    3. Try logging into your dcx900 web server (if one exists) at: https://<Your dcx900 IP> with username 'tivo' and password 'Your MAK' from System Information on your dcx900 and then try to download a recording to your PC. Check my SIG for an 'Abbreviations' LINK.
    I know nothing about the dcx900 so you'll need to find out how much of the original TiVo / Bolt functionality remains; whether you're on Gen3 / Encore, Gen4 / Hydra, or ??? / Cogeco Custom firmware.
    If you can transfer a recording from your dcx900 to your PC, whether via the web server, kmttg, pyTiVo, etc... determines, in my mind, if you should continue in your search. Once you get a .tivo file over and then decrypt it to a .mpg file, your choices widen greatly, including DAS and NAS storage options and viewing options.

3. sybernut

sybernut New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Thank you for your reply. This unit has Plex installed already, but my understanding is that it allows playback on other networked devices, not necessarily downloads to them, but I will check into that and the other options you suggested and info you gave. Meanwhile, my TiVo is filling up, the pressure's on LOL.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If the Tivo Desktop app doesn't work and you don't have access via a website to allow "network transfers" you're not going to be able to get anything to back it up.
    As C2 said, if it's a "Hydra-style" unit the NAS option doesn't work with the ReadyNAS which works great on consumer 3rd gen units (not Hydra)

5. sybernut

sybernut New Member

Mar 25, 2018

Advertisements

Thank you both for your input. As may be evident, I have a cable provider (Cogeco) for both TV and Internet.

I am able to login to
    https://<Your dcx900 IP> with username 'tivo' and password 'Your MAK'
    both via cable-based MoCA (Ethernet disabled) or (local network) Ethernet (MoCA disabled) (each with a different local IP address) and I get the file index web page (see screenshot),
    file index webpage - cropped.png
    at the bottom of the page is a message:
    "This feature is not supported. The TiVo license agreement allows you to transfer content to up to ten devices within your household, but not outside your household. Unauthorized transfers or distribution of copyrighted works outside of your home may constitute a copyright infringement. TiVo reserves the right to terminate the TiVo service accounts of users who transfer or distribute content in violation of this Agreement."
    which is strange at least for the Ethernet (Enet) connection since it certainly is 'within the household'. But it may be just a stock comment.

when I try to download a file (have tried a dozen or so), I get the following message:
    "Access forbidden, feature not enabled" (see screenshot)
    access forbidden - cropped.png
    This is similar to the behaviour I get with TiVo desktop, it indexes the files (see screenshot)
    Tivo Desktop indexing - cropped.png

but gives a similar "access is denied" message (see screenshot).
    Tivo Desktop access denied - cropped.png

With MoCA, the Cogeco TiVo Android app tries to download files (at a snail's pace) but always hangs up towards the end of the transfer. It also doesn't seem to like connecting via (local network) Ethernet at all, probably because it's trying to connect to an external server to validate my userid/password and/or connect to the TiVo and may need MoCA-only for this?

My network configurations are as follows:
    MoCA: PC/phone < WiFi > my router < Enet > ISP modem with router disabled < MoCA > TiVo
    < MoCA-filtered cable > Internet
    OR
    Enet: PC/phone < WiFi > my router < Enet > TiVo
    < Enet > ISP modem with router disabled < MoCA-filtered cable > Internet

Any ideas how I can get to the files? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  6. Apr 1, 2018 #6 of 15
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    When I said "access to the website to allow network transfers" I was implying the Tivo.com website, if you can't get there or to a similar site via your provider then you won't be able to transfer off the unit, this is why you buy a Tivo on your own if your provider doesn't give you the options.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. Apr 1, 2018 #7 of 15
    sybernut

sybernut New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Ok thanks I got on the site and created an account. Went to the Device Preferences page... Video Sharing and Enable Video Downloads were already checked off but I saved the options, see what happens in a bit (if not already active, the settings may take up to 24 hrs to take effect).

8. sybernut

sybernut New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Hello
    So this has resulted in a dead end and I'm tempted to take your advice and purchase a TiVo that allows downloads. As mentioned, I'm also looking for a general-purpose NAS so I guess e.g. the ReadyNAS might do the trick... is the Bolt the only TiVo device that will allow downloads to it, or are there others as well? Thank you in advance for any advice and device recommendations.

9. Aug 3, 2018 #9 of 15
    LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    I have a COGECO TiVo (not the arriss one, but the actual TiVo one) and when setting up the TiVo account I had to first unselect, exit then go back in and select again. Also, the TiVo did not recognize the changes for 2 or 3 connections back to TiVo. I have not loged back into my cable TiVo account now in over a year. I use KMTTG to download and in the past did use PyTivo to upload shows to watch.
    Also recently the TiVo online no longer works with the COGECO TiVo for online scheduling. This is the web based one, and I am accessing it with internet explorer or chrome. It did work in the past, but now just tells me there is no TiVo on my account. When I go to my account it does list the TiVo.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  10. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    COGECO will not activate a TiVo you purchase, or will they activate a cable card. The only TiVo they will activate is the TiVo they rent.

11. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    All of the HD capable Tivos from the Series3 up to the Bolt will currently work with a supported ReadyNAS with one significant caveat, they MUST be running the older "encore" or Gen3 interface, if your Tivo is running Hydra it will not work. All current Tivos with Hydra should be capable of being downgraded although some people have had trouble recently.

You can use other methods such as pytivo but they aren't plug and play like the ReadyNAS is in most situations.

12. sybernut

sybernut New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Thank you all for your replies. LarryAtHome, I will try your reselection method on the Tivo site... were you able to also download via https://<Your dcx900 IP> (see above)?

13. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    The netgear nas will work with hydra only as a pull device. To get shows back to it you have to have another tivo with previous gen to pull it and then use tivo online to get it back to a hydra device. This is all so silly and needs to be fixed.

14. sybernut

sybernut New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Thank you LarryAtHome, it works, I am able to download .tivo files after toggling the TiVo account... :) I will try KMTTG to decrypt.

15. sybernut

sybernut New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Yes it works... sort of. The Cogeco Tivo periodically locks me back out (after some period of inactivity) and I have to seemingly re-toggle the tivo.com settings to get access again. Also, after downloading some files from the Tivo, files start to download only partially, I've tried several things to get a clue as to why but am stumped... it seems the only way around it is to 'leave the Tivo alone' for a while. Has anyone had similar experiences? Thanks.