Looking for happy Comcast TiVo users.

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by mtchamp, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA

Advertisements

I know that happy customers post less often than unhappy customers and the Comcast TiVo customer base is very small, but is anybody happy?

I can see that there are still problems after the last update. I had the crazy 8's and returned my box until the bugs get worked out. I was hoping Comcast would make a lot of people happy with the new update and I would read about it here, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anybody hear anything from Comcast about new updates in the works?

2. brytrinque

brytrinque New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    WOW.. As of now over 70 views and no responses.... Now that I have my DCT box I'm happier than the DCH... but still not completely happy.

3. Calmante

Calmante Cable Customer

Jan 31, 2008
    Not too happy about how there's no word about anything, fixes, updates, anything. I'm right on the ledge of thinking that Comcast is going to abandon this project for something new and fully Tru2Way.

4. bren924

bren924 New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    No happiness here... my TiVo experience with Comcast ends tomorrow when I return my box and go back to the iGuide DVR. The concept is a good one, too bad they fumbled badly on the execution.

5. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA

Advertisements

I'm mostly happy, let's say moderately satisfied. The Comcast unit is in a secondary viewing location, so I'm still using my S2 Toshiba model much more often than the Comcast. But so far it's working OK.

6. striola

striola New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I'll go ahead and put myself in the happy camp. Yes there are issues and bugs, but IMHO it's a huge upgrade over the Comcast standard DVR software - and well worth the $3 per month.

I should add that I do not have (and never have had) a standalone Tivo box - so I do not have that to compare it to. I am only comparing the Tivo software to the Comcast software.

7. ldconfig

ldconfig New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Comcast on my HD Tivo rocks here :)
    now if i could just go back to 9.2 and get some tivo2go software without the memory leaks lol
    later
    ld

8. JSurette

JSurette New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Billerica, MA
    I'm somewhat happy about my Comcast Tivo (DCT3120-I), but not dissatisfied enough to go back to the "old" way. :).

BTW, I participated in a focus group about Comcast Tivo in Nashua, NH, last Thursday evening (paid $100 cash! :) ) Everyone in the group (10 of us) had the same complaints and criticisms, the loudest refrain being "too slow!" Many other problems were discussed (along with what we liked about it) and demonstrated on the setup in the room. The moderator asked one of us to set up a recording, and after the two-minute wait, we got an error ("See what we mean?")

Afterwards, two Comcast product managers for Comcast Tivo came into the room to answer any questions, and they say they are aware of the problems we discussed, and assured us that they are working hard to resolve them. Future updates and features are in the works, they say, and should be rolling out starting in the next few weeks.

9. mark03110

mark03110 New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Bedford, NH
    Jeff,

Very glad to hear a report from the focus group. I was invited to go but couldn't make it so I'm glad others voiced the major concerns.

I myself gave up on the Comcast Tivo about a week ago. Went and bought a Tivo HD and got a single M-Card installed. The only thing I slightly miss about the Comcast Tivo was the built in support for On-Demand.

Other than that, the Tivo HD is just so much better in my opinion. I was lucky because I was able to transfer a lifetime sub from a very old Series 1 unit that grandfathered into the 1 free transfer.

Anyways, maybe in another year if I get another HD TV I'll look at the Comcast option again.

-Mark

10. mogulbumm

mogulbumm New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    MA
    No longer wanting to drive my entire arm though the side of somebody's head... but not entirely happy yet. Like JSurrette, not unhappy enough to go back to the old way.

Slow, but the major issues have been worked out from the 1st release. I now have Dolby, understand why there is no Tivo blip sound anymore, box doesn't freeze or reboot, can switch from HD to regular TV without the blank screen, don't need to reboot daily....

Yes, the things that should have worked correctly from Day 1 now are, for the most part, functional. I think this was a ploy... I will not be returning the Tivo, launching it from a moving vehicle, or filling it with jello and returning it to Comcast. I'm going to stick it out...

11. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Thank you for your responses from those who stuck it out. We can only know from the small amount of Comcast TiVo users who would even know about this forum. So we are now certain that Comcast is repairing problems with the fuctionality and delivery of the TiVo service to Motorola boxes. I guess I'll be back in pretty soon. I'm waiting to hear that a new update has been rolled out to all the original systems in NE and there are no more crazy 8's happening anywhere and speed is improved.

I'm glad TiVo has important enough value added features and there has been enough bug squashing progress to prevent Comcast TiVo DVR's from being hurled through windows onto the street and some customers from returning to Iguide. Can anyone confirm the crazy 8's update has hit the Fall River/New Bedford market and then I might try it again although it's slow? But I did read another update is going out in the next two weeks, so I should wait at least until June 1st and see how it's going.