Looking for an external HD for my premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jackie moon, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1 of 12
    jackie moon

jackie moon New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I am looking to buy an external hard drive from my tivo premiere and I found two for about the same price online. I know one is supported because it is the one tivo sells. Can you use a 2 tb e sata external hard drive? This is the one I was looking at. Will it work?

If not will an other 2 tb drives work?

Thanks

JM

2. Aug 4, 2011 #2 of 12
    jackie moon

jackie moon New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    sorry couldn't put the link in

3. Aug 4, 2011 #3 of 12
    jackie moon

jackie moon New Member

Mar 3, 2009
  4. Aug 4, 2011 #4 of 12
    danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    You will need to be able to do some work on the drive before the Tivo will recognize it. There are a number of threads that talk about it, just do a forum search.

5. Aug 4, 2011 #5 of 12
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Outside of weaknees(and maybe some other after market outfits), I don't think the knowledge is yet available to install a 2TB external hard drive in any Tivo(and have the full capacity recognized).

So no, no one in these forums has reported a success in installing a 2TB external hard drive(again, outside of a weaknees.com kit).

If you are not comfortable/experienced/motivated in opening up your Tivo and computers, buying the supported WD DVR expander(1 TB max for Tivo) is about your only alternative in upgrading your capacity. That, or buying a "preconfigured" internal hard drive from weaknees.com or the like(requires opening the Tivo, but easy).

If you are motivated to open your Tivo and connect the drive to a computer, your best(and also cheapest) avenue to upgrade capacity is to install a new 2 TB internal hard drive.

ps: If you are set on an external drive, again only the WD Dvr expanders( 1 TB max for Tivo) are "plug and play". Any other external drives will require "marrying", via computer.

6. Aug 4, 2011 #6 of 12
    jackie moon

jackie moon New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks. I'll stick with the WD. We already have one on our older HD tivo and it has plenty of room. I just thought if I could get more for the same money I would do it.

7. Aug 4, 2011 #7 of 12
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, you can get more, for a lot less money(2 TB internal hard drive, $60 - $70), but as stated, involves a little work/motivation/preparation.

Just something to think about in the future.

8. Aug 5, 2011 #8 of 12
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'll reinforce this- it is a little amount of work to update the drive and provides the piece of mind that if the drive ever goes bad you have an instant backup you can quickly drop in.

9. Aug 5, 2011 #9 of 12
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I'll second or third doing the Internal upgrade.

Very easy, very cost effective.

I will state that I would wait until the 90 warranty is gone and I would save the Internal drive for the future.

I have used (and still use one) external drives. They work but not as well as a simple internal upgrade (I have upgrade both my Premiere and TiVo HD to 2TB).

Good Luck,

10. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    The problem I see with an external drive is that is a second point of failure. Though, if you are cost constrained, and don't feel comfortable mucking around in the box, then it really is the only option.

11. jackie moon

jackie moon New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Which drive should I get if I decide to do an internal upgrade?

12. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003