Looking for advice on a DirectTiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by HazMatt, Aug 31, 2010.

1. HazMatt

HazMatt resU deretsigeR

Aug 31, 2010

Advertisements

We have a Series2 with 80 hour / dual tuner support and DirecTV service. I've been told that we'd need to acquire TWO DirecTV receivers to actually use both of those tuners. Well, I'm thinking it makes more sense to get a unit that just handles all of that in one box instead of three.

I have my eye on the HR10-250, but we don't have HD service and probably won't for a while. Are there better choices for me?

Our requirements:
    1) Must work with DirecTV.
    2) Must have the TiVo interface.
    3) Must have the 'peanut' remote.
    4) Must have dual-tuner support.
    5) HD is optional.

Another issue we have, is that we currently pay a special rate of $6.95 per month. Back in 2007 we threatened to cancel our TiVo service in favor of Comcast's offerings and they cut our monthly rate from $12.95 to $6.95 and it's been that way ever since. My question is, can we retain that rate by switching boxes? We've upgraded our TiVo in the past; is there any reason to expect roadblocks?

Also, when I make my purchase, should I make sure the unit comes with an access card? I already have a working TiVo and DirecTV receiver.

Thanks,

-Matt

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    What's your Tivo's model number? If it's a "Series 2 with 80 hour / dual tuner support with DirecTV service", then it sounds like it already has DirecTV tuners built it, so you don't need two DirecTV Receivers with it. You just need to connect it to your satellite dish and activate it on your account. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

3. Ilovetorecord2

Ilovetorecord2 New Member

Mar 21, 2000
    South San...
    Thats what I was thinking to but then the price of $12.95 lower to $6 seems a regular tivo. I had one when I started Directv 10 years ago but have the directivo which only works with directv.

I use the directivos rather than recorders something like the r10 I think which is somewhat different than directivo.

When I had a problem with my directivo, such as a tuner quit working, I replaced my unit with another similar unit as I have several units for backup that I bought used. I called directv and had them send me a card so I could my directivo that I had as a backup.

Not familiar with the dual tuners with tivo but I do have some receivers that I also collected that works with the tivo which I do not have anymore.

If your is a regular tivo then you would need the receivers, which I could help you out with for a small fee, but it would be easier to get a used directivo pretty cheap and use it.

Have to decide what you would like to do.

4. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    If I'm understanding the OP correctly, he currently has a standalone Tivo (S2-DT), and is interested in purchasing a DirecTivo. Buying a used unit (ebay/craigslist) is about the only way to get one anymore. You need to make sure it is a RID unit, so don't get a DSR7000 or HDVR2. Any of the following models should work fine:

Philips DSR704 or DSR708
    Hughes SD-DVR40, SD-DVR80, or SD-DVR120
    RCA DVR40, DVR80, or DVR120
    Samsung SIR-S4040R, SIR-S4080R, or SIR-S4120R
    DirecTV R10

5. HazMatt

HazMatt resU deretsigeR

Aug 31, 2010

Advertisements

Hi guys, thanks for the helpful replies.

I am sure I have a regular standalone TiVo. We bought the service when we were on Comcast cable. I'll look at that list you provided, whitepelican. But can you guys talk about access cards? Some DirecTiVos I've seen on eBay include them, some don't.

-Matt

6. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    The access cards might be included in the auction, but it's hit-or-miss (mostly miss) whether DirecTV will let you re-use them. Their stated policy says you need to get a new card from them for $20. It's possible to sweet-talk them into letting you use the old card, but I think it's gotten more difficult over the years.

If you're really interested in buying a DirecTivo, I have two of them that are scheduled to go on auction on ebay tonight. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss it.

7. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Doesn't matter. In most cases you will need to get a new access card from DirecTV for $20.

I also want to clarify something for you as it almost sounds like you aren't aware.

DirecTivo's haven't been sold for over 5 years now. They don't make them anymore. DirecTV has their own DVRs that don't have the Tivo UI.

As for HD, the HR10-250 is the only HD capable DirecTivo out there, again it's old, having not been sold for over 4 years now, but it will only get HD via OTA antenna since all the HD on DirecTV has long been moved to 2 new satellite slots which the HR10 can't tune to and are in MPEG4 with the HR10 can't decode.

Tivo announced a new HD DirecTivo for DirecTV in 2008 but it's been delayed a couple times and looks to be delayed again into 2011. There are a couple other threads on it if you want to read up on it.

Bottom line is this:
    * Right now DirecTV does not have a current receiver that has Tivo in it and hasn't for 4-5 years.
    * So anything you get now is used and some are old enough they fall into the category of way old receiver DirecTV will no longer activate (non-RID)
    * There is no HD unit currently, could be in the future but I certainly wouldn't switch to DirecTV on the hope it comes. Wait for it to come out first.

It sounds like Tivo is your top priority, nothing wrong with that. But I would really think about your decision here before you commit to 2 years with DirecTV with your only option used receivers from eBay.

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    The SA dual tuner can not be used with directv, not even controlling separate directv receivers, when it comes to sa dual tuner and directv its a single tuner tivo.

Anyways you will not be able to turn on the directv service using used receiver.

9. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I thought he made it pretty clear in the original post that he already has DirecTV service. In that case, getting a used DirecTivo and activating it on his account shouldn't be any problem at all.

10. HazMatt

HazMatt resU deretsigeR

Aug 31, 2010
    shibby, that's valuable information regarding the HD stuff; now the HR10-250 is a lot less desirable.

Yes we already have DirecTV service. Our situation is somewhat unique because we are the night managers at a business that uses DirecTV for some of our services. We won't even be paying for the DirecTV service.

I was aware of the stupidness between DirecTV and TiVo and the resulting lack of combined units in the past few years. The info posted in this thread has definitely helped me. I'll still have to devote some time in researching this stuff, but I'll pop back if I have more questions. Thanks!

11. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I have recently activated two HR10-250 units that I bought used. Both had access cards in them when I got them. I activated both with no issues. I was not required to purchase new access cards.

The HR10-250 is perfect for me right now (currently using four of them). I get DirecTV with the TiVo UI and can record OTA on the same box. The only HDTV I have at the moment is a 20" and is in my daughter's room, so HD is not a concern for me.

12. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    New Jersey
    The real question I'd have is whether the tv is sd or hd. If hd, then worth considering directv's brand of dvr to fully support current hd (as much as that doesn't feel right for me personally), but if the tv is sd, then picking up one of the models that whitepelican suggests seems very worthwhile. Also, if the tv is sd, another downside to the hr10-250 is I believe directv still insists that you pay for the hd service because you have an hd-capable receiver.

13. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Why?

Why is it your mission in life to do this, create this little limited realm of yours?

You are the only (living) TCF member who has never started an "Is this stealing?" thread. You apparently watch no TV shows. You don't dump on Alfer. You made zero contributions to the JM J Bullock thread. You expressed no political views when that was allowed. You have no opinions about anything, other than that Tivo is bad and DirecTV is good. Of course you are not even a DirecTV customer, as you protest much and with some frequency, so you have no dog in this fight. And yet there is this continual barking in the background.

I say this not in criticism but in admiration. My life is complicated, as many of ours are, and I yearn for your simplicity of world view. Can you teach us your secret?

14. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Did you even read his reply beyond "let me clarify"? If you did, you have real comprehension problem. Guy recommends to the OP not to switch to DirecTV and get into 2 year contract based on the fact that new DirecTivo is not available yet and you consider that "DirecTv is good" post ? Your smart ass comments don't bring anything of value and just show how incredibly ignorant you are.

15. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Many noticed this long ago. Nothing to see here. ;)

16. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Thanks for the constructive criticism, which I welcome.

I've always figured you and shi..., whasisname, were the samo guy, so thanks to you both!

17. rolybert

rolybert tunafish smells weird

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    LOL I have been thinking this for some time now. They all start with "S" :D:D

What is the term for this? Isnt it "Green lawning" (Having multiple Id's in a forum so you always have someone to back you up even when you are wrong);)

I crack up whenever a thread is completely biased one way or another IE: In a "Is this stealing" where 99.99999 % Of the forum thinks it is stealing and sure enough up pops the one poster that disagrees and is on the side of the OP:D

18. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Wow. I tell the dude what is going on (as he clearly didn't know) and recommend that he *not* get DirecTV but instead to look at cable and get a stand alone Tivo. And yet you attack me. Awesome, gotta love it.

19. rolybert

rolybert tunafish smells weird

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
    Sorry but I must have missed where you told him to get cable and a standalone TiVo. All I saw was TiVo bashing. Shall I quote you.

anything you get now is used and some are old enough they fall into the category of way old receiver DirecTV will no longer activate.

Wil is right you are here with an agenda. When someone calls you on it just accept it.

BTW I will take my way old TiVo any day of the week.

The biggest reason I believe you have an agenda is you have been on a TIVO forum for 3 years and the only thread you ever started was about Directv receivers. what percentage of your posts are about D* and the HR's 80% 90% 100%

20. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I doubt anyone here has an "agenda". We all write from our personal viewpoint and should accept that such a viewpoint may not be universally shared. Name-calling is not helpful.

FWIW, I've been a TiVo user for ten years and a DirecTV+ DVR user for three. I currently run an HR10, HR20 and HR21. There are a lot of pragmatic issues to take into account when choosing DirecTV receivers - even if you are a "TiVo forever" kind of guy, the fact is that to get full use of DirecTV today means not using a TiVo. A year from now that may no longer be true - but I am not willing to bet on it.