Looking for a TiVo developer to script my To Do cleaning

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by purefct, Aug 2, 2007.

1. purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA

Advertisements

I'm looking for a TiVo developer to write a script to remove WL items (not SP) twice a day which have Thumb ratings. I prefer to be able to specify a Thumb level threshhold for the removal. So if I set the threshhold a 1 thumb down, all thumbs down are removed. If I set it to 2 thumbs up, only 3 thumb and unrated shows in the To Do that are WL items will be left.

2. purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    I'm willing to pay or barter; the script and unit must function correctly and provide me the ability to understand and reload the script if updates wipe it out, and the script must continue to function if the unit is unplugged or otherwise rebooted due to something other than an update.

I would prefer instruction on how to ftp into my unit and load the files you deliver to me. If I can't follow your instruction I can get my cousin to help me, since he helped me add drives a few years ago.

Payment methods: set up a Google Checkout account so I may pay by credit card and you don't incur a transaction fee (in 2007) will be best for both of us. I can advise on how to do this since I use Google Checkout in my own business.

Payment timing: 50% when you say you're ready to deliver, 50% after two weeks of verified use without problem. The last half is delayed two weeks after final delivery of script where I confirm I do not encounter any problems.

3. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I would recommend you formalize and clarify what exactly it is that you're asking for. For example, what version of software is your unit running, what hardware is your unit? It's not clear how you wish the thumbs to control the removal (are you talking about thumbs up, thumbs down?). You may wish to confirm that you've hacked your unit already (or that your unit is hackable without a PROM replacement).

Your request for the solution to be upgrade proof might be a tall order, as no one knows what the future holds (who would have predicted that the 2TiB threshold would have been lifted with the TiVoHD and thus break the existing MFSTools?).

I think you may find that for folks knowledgeable enough to do what you ask, their time may be costly enough to make such a project it diminishing returns...

The other alternative might be to investigate doing this yourself, depending upon how much your time bills for. ;)

4. purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    Once someone agrees to offer a price, I'll summarize all the text from this thread for a comprehensive bid request!

- I have an S2 240 SW Ver 8.3 with two 160GB drives only using 137GB each.
    - I've only added drives
    - I'm comfortable doing basic work like adding a PROM or ftp or basic file manipulation, in some cases I'd like a little tech support while doing so.
    - Regarding thumbs, I used the words "thumb threshhold" A thumb down is below thumb up, 2 thumbs down is below 1 thumb down, 2 thumbs up is above 1 thumb up. While I made an assumption (which is dangerous), the concept that two thumbs down is below one thumb down should be a universal understanding. If the WL item in To Do has a thumb rating at or below the threshhold, remove it from the To Do.
    - I never said upgrade proof, I said part of the package is that I must be able to understand how to reload the script if an update wipes it out, and the script must continue running if the unit is turned off or re-booted due to an event other than an update. To clarify though, If the script no longer functions after an update it is up to me to re-write it or pay to re-write it.
    - Having said that, I'll need the source code as well, after final payment.

Certainly cost is a consideration, I'm not in the $1,000+ market. But I'm no longer a jack of all trades. While I have no problem learning the basics of my unit, I'm not up to learning programming (must be getting old!). Who knows, you may actually like and use what I'm asking you to make, and after I pay first, maybe you'd sell it to others for a smaller amount. There's a few other threads where people would like to use thumbs, maybe I could get a group together to fund a more comprehensive project. For now though, I'd like to know what someone will charge for my project.