looking for a solution (viewing videos remotely)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by csell, Oct 31, 2009.

1. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007

Advertisements

Looking for a solution / product for the following:

I have one Tivo and I transfer a lot of videos to my PC over the wireless network. I also have a huge amount of movies also stored on that PC that I use pytivo to transfer to my Tivo. Both of those work great. But this is what I'm looking for. I would like to have a device/product to hook up to my TV in my bedroom that would wirelessly access that PC so I can watch both the transfered tivo shows and the collection of movies. I know there are some products out there, such as some made by Netgear, but I would like to hear some opinions on what is the best setup and product. By the way, I'm only looking for a wireless solution and I'm not interested in paying for a second Tivo (actually I have no problem paying for the Tivo, its paying the addition $10 a month for the service). Any suggestions???

2. Nov 2, 2009 #2 of 13
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone missed it and had any ideas? Just looking for product ideas for viewing video from your pc on your tv wirelessly. I know there are many out there but wanted to see if anyone has tried any...

3. Nov 2, 2009 #3 of 13
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Have you considered a product that uses goback to transfer the show from the PC back to the tivo when you are ready to watch it? TiVo Desktop and Galleon both have this capability.

4. Nov 2, 2009 #4 of 13
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    I think the OP is talking about a TV without a TiVo. My Slingcatcher can play stuff on a network share but I haven't played much with it ...

5. Nov 2, 2009 #5 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Take a look at the WD HD Live. I don't have one myself but the price is as low as $99.

Edit: You would have to convert the .TiVo videos on your PC to mpeg2 or another video format to use the WD HD Live. To use it wirelessly you would have to have one of its approved USB wireless dongles. The approved list is large and it looks like they are about $65.

Read the linked thread for more details.

6. Nov 2, 2009 #6 of 13
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Reading it a second time I believe you are correct.

In that case you could look at the placement of the PC. If you didn't need it in it's current location you could move it and connect it to the TV, thus playing the video locally. That's a no money needed solution as long as your TV has VGA in or you PC supports an output the TV has in common with it.

Wouldn't an AV caster work in this situation where the OP can control and watch the TiVo from both rooms work better here?

7. Nov 2, 2009 #7 of 13
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    The WD HD Live is the type of device that I am looking for. The only two things I don't like about it is that it can't directly play .tivo files (not sure if any will) and that you can to buy additional equipment to make it wireless. I believe there are a few similar products out there, just don't know much about them. But the general functionality of the WD HD Live is what I'm thinking...

8. Nov 2, 2009 #8 of 13
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    check out a company called Hauppauge. I have one of their media players but its an older one thats hard wired. It connects to my network and I can play music, look at photos and play videos on my TV that are stored on my hard drive of the computer. I think their new one can also connect wireless.

9. Nov 2, 2009 #9 of 13
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Their 'Media MVP Wireless Digital Media Receiver' looks very good and also priced reasonably. Any idea if it (or the one you said you currently have) has the ability to play/transfer .tivo files without any manual conversion?

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I doubt you'll find anything that plays .TiVo files directly.

Be sure to check out this post in the thread I linked above. Depending on the particular .tivo files, you might have to do some editing with VideoReDo before you can get good playback on the HD Live device. VideoReDo will load .TiVo files directly and save them as .mpg after (or without) editing. Intrinsic to that process is a "clean up" of the mpeg2 file that frequently is beneficial, and the saving (conversion to mpeg2) is also very fast as with TivoDecoder.

VideoReDo costs $50, or $75 if you want it to generate DVD's also. You can free-trial it uncrippled though. It does many other valuable things besides just edit your file. You can automate or semi-automate VRD processing, and automatically run a post-process batch file of your design, with TVAP (link in signature).

11. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    i could certainly find this answer by doing a little research, but someone might quickly know the answer... I use pyTivo to transfer movies from my PC to the Tivo. I guess during this process, it converts it to the required format of the Tivo... Does pyTivo do the opposite - transfer videos from the Tivo to the PC and convert it to another format, such as mpg2?

It seems like I found a hardware solution to what I'm trying to do, but I'm still trying to find what would essentially be the ability to do what Tivo Desktop does but instead auto convert it to a useable format. Desktop Plus might do this, not sure...

12. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have tried wirelessly products in the past but wasn't happy with the quality. My wife wanted all of our TVs in our house to be able to watch the same show at the same time. What we did was have a component amplifier installed in our attic and then have component cables dropped to each of the other TVs. My main TivoHD is hooked up to its TV through the HDMI output, while the component output feeds all of the other TVs (the tivos output to both component and HDMI at the same time). We use Powermids to control the Tivo from other rooms.

You wouldn't need to go that in depth if you only want to send the signal to one other TV. If you can drop the component cable yourself, you can probably do it pretty cheaply. You can get 50ft component cables for ~$11 on Amazon and the audio cable for another $4. There was a guy on ebay that was selling 50-75 ft 5-channel RCA for cheap as well, but my search fu seems to have withered with age.

I also used the AVCAST RF modulator in the past, but much prefer the quality of the video from the component lines than from re-broadcasting it back on another channel.

13. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Consider using kmttg for your video pulls. It can decrypt (and a whole lot more) after your video downloads. Here is the google code page and here is the thread in the Home Networking forum here on TCF.

I forgot to ask in my post above, but what Tivo do you have? I was assuming TivoHD.