Looking for a Good program to convert .Avi to Mpeg, little trouble with videora

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Frank784, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Frank784

Frank784 New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Orlando,...
    I've got Tmpgenc, the suite, and I'm trying to use the authoring Program to put a couple of seasons on DVD. The problem is my files are .avi. I've tried TMPGEnc to try and convert, but I get errors when trying to convert straight from avi to mpg. Also, I'm not exactly sure which parameters to use. I've browsed through old threads and saw people recommending Winavi and Videora. I've tried both, and although Videora converter is free, it only converts about 4 minutes of the video. Winavi does the same thing, I know its a trial, but is it supposed to only do about 5 minutes as well? My goal is to get these as separate MPG files.
    Thanks

-Frank

2. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    On my Mac I used FFMpegX. I ca only assume that the Windows version (FFMpeg) would be just as good.

I have a setting that I load every time that sets all the settings properly to make a tivo-compatible MPEG from an AVI.

I don't know if that setting (a small file that you just Apply every time you start a new file conversion) would work with the Windows version but I can send it to you later today if you'd like. PM me if you want. I can't just tell you what settings it applies 'cause I don't know (someone gave me the file too... it just works).

3. Toews

Toews New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Hi

Could you send me your settings file for converting to tivo format from .avi. I'm on a mac and using ffmpegx but I'm too lazy to figure it all out.

Thanks