Longest Running TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GeneD, May 18, 2011.

1. GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...
    I placed a Series 1 TiVo in service in May of 2001. It has now been running continually for 10 years with the original drives. Is this any kind of a record? If not, do we know who holds the record? Foolishly, I did not buy a lifetime contract, and I have paid annual or monthly service fees for the full 10 years. Maybe this is some type of sad record?

2. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    My oldest, still in service, is from September, 2000 however it's on it's third hard drive. Back then, lifetime was only $199 which makes it a great deal at about $1.55/month for service.

3. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Technical it wasn’t running continuously so the OP still holds the record.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could easily find a used S1 with lifetime service for ~$60. It doesn't make sense to pay a monthly subscription on an S1.

5. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I didn't think that I implied that, but you are correct.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    and technically even the OP's Tivo is more likely than not to have been without power (power outage or unplugged) at sometime, so has most likely not been running continuously for ten years.
    That said, it's great that the OP has been able to get 10 years of service from a Tivo w/o a breakdown.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If they used a UPS they might have. I had mine on a UPS almost ten years ago. But I would have also shut it down and blown out the dust every two or three years as well.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a S2 DVD unit which I've been paying month service ($6.95/mo MSD) on for 6+ years even though I haven't actually used it in over a year. (I'm too lazy to call and cancel it) I'm pretty sure that makes me more sad.

Dan

9. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    My Sony SVR-2000 has been in continuous service since May 2000. Original HDD, power supply, modem, etc. Only brief power interruptions and shut downs to reboot, move into new entertainment center, etc.

It is still going strong, but rarely watched. I record daily newscasts to review if I hear of some breaking news that I had missed.

Unfortunately, my sister's, my father's, and a friend's SVR-2000s have needed service for fried modems and HDD upgrades and other issues.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Kind of curious to hear who has the earliest-activated Tivo still in service - I bet there's a couple of 1999 models out there. Of course, some of them would be in closets just waiting to use their one-time lifetime transfers, I'm sure!

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    My sister still uses the TiVo I gave her for Christmas in 1999 daily. I did replace the drive, and a lightning storm took out the unit in 2001 or 2002, which necessitated a trip to Sony for repair.

12. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    We have a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo that has been running since 2000, can't remember which month. Have ahd 5-6 SD and HD DirecTivo's come and go since then, but the old Sony keeps on going. Been on UPS most of that time. Wife records on it continuously and views programs daily with few exceptions, like vacations.

13. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    I'm a piker - turned my series 2 on Christmas Day, 2002 and still running great

14. buccobruce

buccobruce Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I activated my Series one 6/7/1999. still working, original hard drive, as it has been since day one.

in addition i now have a series two, series three and tivo hd.

buccobruce

15. GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...
    Scandia101, you are correct. By "continuously running" I did not mean to imply it has never been turned off. I moved twice during the past 10 years, and it was off for a couple days each time. Also, we live in Florida, and have been through a few hurricanes. We went through the eye of Wilma, and our power was lost for over a week. We were also in Frances and Jeanne, which caused shorter power outages. However, I have had my Series 1 on a UPS from the beginning, and all power-downs have been controlled. I certainly attribute the long life of the disk drives to the UPS, as well as triplicate surge-protection. BTW, my unit was upgraded to 130 hours in 2001, and both drives have survived the 10 years.

16. GeneD

GeneD New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Boynton...
    Thanks for all your replies. I was trying to decide if I should keep it running just to maintain my status as a record-holder. But, it sounds like buccobruce is the current record-holder for a continuously running Series 1 with the orginal hard drive. I suspect he has a lifetime contract, so I may still be the only one who has paid over $1,000 to maintain service on a continuously running Series 1 with the original hard drive, but I doubt such a narrow category would qualify me for any type of entry in Guinness. After all these years, do you think TiVo will try to increase my monthly rate with the new pricing?

17. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Wow, for some reason from your initial post it didn't sink in that you'd paid that much in total for a Series 1 to keep it running... holy cow. No offense at all, but this is a great example of why lifetime, even at a $399/$499 price point, is well worth it! :eek:

18. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    I don't know how original TiVo machines could cost $199 unless they were used. Mine, bought new in 1999, was $799 + tax + shipping. (Of course it was a Philips model because it was the original TiVo machine and thus the only brand available). The hard drive failed after 5 years and when it did, I bought a Series 2 machine rather than have the drive replaced. The Series 2 machine with dual tuners was around $300 if I'm not mistaken.

19. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    What a difference a year makes! My Sony SVR-2000 S1 puchased new from Circuit City in May 2000 was $419.99 including tax. Apparently Tivo had started subsidizing the cost of the box by then. I added lifetime service for $199.

I am incredibly lucky because it has been in continuous service with no UPS protection, no upgrades or modifications.

I purchase another for my father a year or so later, and the price had come down to about $370 and I was eligible to file for a $100 rebate. Remember those rebate days?

20. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    And a year after that I bought a 20hr Philips S1 Tivo for $270.