Long Way Up - AppleTV+

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Dan203, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Anyone watching this? I've just finished two episodes and it's pretty interesting thus far. I'm a big fan of EV technology so it's fascinating to see them attempting this in/on electric vehicles.

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have this on my list, but watching the first two series first (Long Way Around and Long Way Down). I figured I'd watch those first and then move into the new series (and possibly wait for the whole thing to drop). The first two series are a lot of fun, but they are on conventional motorcycles. Considering how much trouble they had with those bikes at various points, it will be interesting to see how electric bikes work out.

3. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not to spoil it but as you can imagine trying to charge high power EVs in developing countries with minimal infrastructure is proving to be a frustration.

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I had forgotten about this until a friend of mine mentioned it the other day. She's into it and our tastes are similar, so I'll give it a try.

Apple TV+ has a pretty good mix of stuff going now. I'm not going to have a problem keeping it for $5/mo, I think. I didn't love The Morning Show, but I'm going to keep watching it; Ted Lasso, Dickinson, Little America, Greyhound (movie), Central Park, For All Mankind, Mythic Quest -- all things I liked or really liked (or loved in the case of Ted Lasso and Little America).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  5. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I'm sure I will drop it when my free year is up (plenty of other stuff to watch), but I'm getting my fill now. I might pick it up for a new season of Ted Lasso for a month once the whole 2nd season drops. Other than that, the other streamers I have will keep my plenty busy.

6. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Finally finished up the two earlier series and caught up with this one. The one striking difference is that this was shot in 4K (I think the other two series say 4K but it's obvious they weren't shot that way. The camerawork is just striking on this one. The scenery in Patagonia and the Andes is amazing. It shows Atmos too, but I don't notice any exceptional sound field.

Also in the previous series, Ewan's wife rode along with them in a few African countries and wanted a bigger role in their next adventure. Well 12 years later, situations change and I noticed that they are divorced now. Also no sign of Charley's family either.

7. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched all available episodes over the weekend. I guess I'd rather the show was more about the travelling and seeing things. The show seems to be mostly about worrying where they are going to get their next charge. ATV+ has the two previous series. I'm going to give some of that a watch to see how it would be on gas powered motorcycles.

8. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The first two series are more about seeing places, though they do have their share of technical issues. The "problem" is that when they planned this, I don't think they really gave thought to the issues with EVs. I bet they looked at Tesla and saw long ranges with those vehicles, but the batteries have to be smaller on a bike. And since both the bike and their support vehicles are actually prototypes, they are being guinea pigs on what is a rather dangerous trip.

9. Oct 1, 2020 #9 of 15
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Reality TV generally doesn't interest me much, or hold my attention when I try it, so I'm not sure why this series is an exception so far, but it is. I've seen the four available episodes and guess this will now be my Friday evening show once Ted Lasso concludes tomorrow.

I don't mind the focus so far on their charging challenges. It's part of the trip and the story, and it's kind of interesting to see how close and how very far away we are from an electric reality, at the same time. That said, the fourth episode mostly gets away from that and focuses on what they see and who they meet, and all that was spectacular.

Steveknj likes this.
  10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm a big proponent of EVs, but they have their limits. Even here in the US traveling long distances can still be more frustrating than using an ICE car where there is a gas station every few miles. But in developing countries with limited electrical infrastructure I can’t imagine even trying. I thought the only reason they were doing it was because Rivian went ahead and installed a bunch of fast chargers along the route. But so far that doesn’t seem to be the case. Either they're not working or they lied, because they seem to be relying heavily on that diesel generator truck.

11. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Who knows what we are not seeing, but they've only been shown using it twice during the first 1,200 miles or so. I'm sure that's two times more than they were hoping, of course, but not sure that qualifies as "heavily".

It's kind of striking to contrast these two, on their priceless electric prototype bikes surrounded by a phalanx of priceless prototype electric trucks and at least three petrol-powered vehicles, with the adventurers they meet who have gone 9,000 km on a pedal bicycle.

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    To me, there are two things holding back EVs. One is the lack of charging stations in areas outside of cities and suburbs. And even there, they aren't as ubiquitous as your local gas station. Second is the lack of a quick charge that can give you 200 mile range in a matter of a few minutes. Once those two are solved, then the ubiquitous EV will happen. I have no doubt. But we know the barriers to get that done, and they aren't all technical.

13. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Liking this series so far as I did with the previous two, but they should just change the name of the show to "Range Anxiety."

One thing that would seem to work with electric motorcycles better than cars is to make the batteries swappable. Where you run out you could swap out the battery packs and charge them all overnight, seems better than pulling a diesel generator along. But then again making batteries removable adds weight and limits how much battery material you can cram in the nooks and crannies. Or how about a sidecar consisting of mostly battery? One thing i've learned from cycling is that drafting each other on bikes can save a lot of energy, you think they would do that more often on their motorbikes. They sort of did that with drafting the cargo van.

Those Rivian trucks look pretty cool, I like the looks of those better than the cybertruck. The tow to charge thing is neat. Looking at the Rivian website I guess they'll run about $70k when they make them. Those Harley's they're riding run about $30k each, yikes!

So far this whole exercise in going all electric is sort of proving to be inadequate and sort of counterintuitive. But I applaud them for trying, and I am sure the lessons learned and exposure on the show will help advance the technology.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Still enjoying this, but really I'm kind of bored with every episode something breaking down / running out of power. I guess that's what happens though when you are using prototypes and new tech.

15. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched Long Way Round over the last couple weeks. This third series is all about finding electricity to power their bikes. Long Way Round only mentioned gasoline when it was accidently being sprayed into Ewan's eyes. Like, they were out in the middle of no where, and I kept wondering how they hadn't run out of gas. I know there were support vehicles, but my understanding is they were rarely around them.

On another note, I know Charley was an actor and was curious if I'd seen anything with him in it. Found he was the young Mordred in Excalibur (1981). I watched that movie a ton as a kid, and found it interesting.

[​IMG]

Steveknj likes this.