Long time between 'Fall Finale' and start of year (or whenever)....

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ncsercs, Jan 10, 2020.

1. ncsercs

ncsercs DirecTivo fan.......

May 5, 2001
    Hinsdale, IL
    Does that turn people off from watching shows when and if they return after New Year?

Which one(s) did you give up on after such a long wait?

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    when (if?) tivo records it, i watch. ;)

unclehonkey, jsmeeker and Steveknj like this.
  3. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I just wait for them to show up on my TiVo again.

unclehonkey and jsmeeker like this.
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I have never given up on a show because it was a long time between episodes.

jsmeeker likes this.
  5. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Same here.

jsmeeker likes this.
  6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    In fact, some of the best shows are on a schedule like that. Now, what I will do is save the last episode of the previous season on my DVR, or stream it from somewhere, just to refresh my memory.

Now if a show is on the bubble for me to continue watching (i.e. it's just not really that good), I might be more inclined to not watch another season if there's a long wait.

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Most shows take a hiatus between Thanksgiving and the New Year because there are lots of holiday specials and many shows would end up getting pre-empted anyway. Personally, I look forward to the break so I can get caught up on my streaming shows and others that I have archived. I record so many shows during the regular season that I don't have much time to watch the other stuff. I've still got a few to finish binging over the weekend. I finally got to watch season 1 of Dark, season 2 of Jack Ryan, season 2 of Mrs. Maisel, season 2 of Lost in Space, season 4 of The Expanse, and I'm still getting through The Witcher, For All Mankind, and The Morning Show. There's probably one or two more that I forgot to mention, but it's been a bingefest around here for the last month or so.

Steveknj likes this.
  8. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    This is why I just let a season stack up, and maybe start on it now. (It always seems like we are 3-4 months behind live tv). We don't necessarily "binge" an entire season in a few days. But I'd like to continuously watch a season w/o a 3-4 week intermission.

9. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I am use to the 8 to 10 episode seasons of streaming. Network TV seasons become torture so I am glad for the break.

10. mde8965

mde8965 Member

Dec 8, 2019
    I sort of gave up on Greys Anatomy due to the time element. But had it just been 60 days I wouldn’t have. See I never watched the first 13 seasons. But my girlfriend wanted to see it so I bought the DVD set on eBay used. By the time we binged through all of that season 14 DVDs were out. So I bought that and we watched. But season 15 was only half over then and I did not record it. So it was 9 months later when the DVDs dropped. Bought that watched 2 episodes and quit. We had forgotten the story arcs and didn’t feel vested enough to continue.

The walking Dead happened the same way with me never going beyond season 8. That was partially time element and partially that the show totally blows now.

Yes I am a tangible media whore. A dying breed. I don’t need no stinking Netflix or Hulu. Instead I buy DVDs and they end up on my NAS

11. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I often forget about the show, especially if it's not a first tier show. If it's good enough and I don't have anything better to watch/do, I'll start it when I notice the recordings, but I might not notice immediately.

12. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I record several programs, but am only current on a few. So no, a hiatus doesn't have an impact.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

13. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    The new episodes of The Witcher won't be available until 2021. :(

14. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I don't love it. I've had HBO and SHO for ages and that was a thing for me - A season would always end and then it's like a year, or sometimes more, before the next season.

Now with the networks and cable channels doing these weird breaks it's as bad or worse because my memory has become mush and by the time it comes back I have almost no recollection of what was happening. It's not like they sew things up before taking a break, and I do get that, but at least they do recaps.

I can't tell you how many shows I watched from beginning to end and, after the fact, have no recollection of how they ended. I was just thinking about that the other day.

15. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Network shows have pretty much always taken breaks during the holidays in the past. There may be a few shows that buck this trend and air new episodes between Thanksgiving and New Years, but they are few and far between. They just never used to call the last episode before the break the fall finale. This seems to be a new trend with all shows nowadays. They still show reruns during the hiatus unless something else gets aired in the same time slot. Nothing much has really changed over the years other than the fact that they now announce when new episodes will stop airing during the hiatus and then start back up again in January.

16. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    The break gives me time to catch up.

Usually.

Sometimes.

(I'm actually a full season behind on a few shows.)

17. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I was two seasons behind on Elementary. Big mistake as my Tivo Bolt died and lost all the shows. Once I get caught up on Gilmore Girls on Netflix (second time around) I'll get a subscription to whatever to get caught up on Elementary.

18. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    This is exactly why I never archive shows for an extended period on my DVR for later viewing. Hard drives have a bad habit of dying at the most inopportune times. I try to keep up with my shows and watch them within a few days after recording them, if possible. If I know there will be a long delay before getting a chance to view them then I will offload them to my PC for editing and store them on my server. I never understood why some people like to keep hundreds of hours of recordings on their Tivos indefinitely. They're just begging to lose them. Set up some sort of external storage to use as a backup if the recordings mean anything to you. A server or NAS is your best bet, but a large external drive works in a pinch.

19. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    This is when I get my money's worth out of Netflix and Prime.

pj1983 and Steveknj like this.
  20. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    How long have I been waiting for a new season of Better Call Saul? Not giving up there. Why give up after a couple of months?

SoupMan likes this.