long press a button (say, Tivo) - go to standby

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by badams888, Jan 21, 2017.

1. badams888

badams888 Member

Jun 6, 2016
    We need a single key to go to standby. Besides being convenient, it would band-aid a new bug that has appeared on my roamio (others have also reported this) where the screen goes blank after hitting play on some show.

This would alleviate the problem/bug where after the screen goes blank and nothing turns it back on except for a) reboot by pulling the power, b) toggle standby to off and back on.

So, how do I toggle standby (currently) if I can't see what I'm doing. That's the problem. I do have a workaround, but only because I use the kmttg freeware program which has a toggle standby option. This is how I know that from standby one can get the screen back on, by using the tivo key. Of course this means you must have a computer on your lan to run the program.

There are of course several keys that could be used for this. I would suggest a long press of the tivo key which would go to standby. After that a single press of the tivo key would turn it back on, and then the screen works again.

OF course there should NOT be any confirmation dialog, since that would defeat the purpose if you can't see the screen.

videobruce and Mikeguy like this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    In the meantime, if this is critical for you, a universal remote into which you could program the 'Standby' command could be a workaround.

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Yep, there does appear to be a direct standby IR code because my new Harmony Elite kept sending my Roamio into standby even when I didn't want it to. I eventually had to reprogram all the "Power*" commands to be some random VCR commands for a device I don't own so if it sent the dadgum standby command, it wouldn't actually put the TiVo into standby :).

4. badams888

badams888 Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Thanks, however, I already have a workaround using kmttg. It does mean I have to turn on a computer.

However, gotta be an easier way to get to standby. Holding down the tivo key on my roamio auto repeats changing between the tivo central and the myshows. Not very useful, so a long press on the tivo key should be an intuitive choice. Press it to turn on, long press to turn off.

And if someone accidentally held down the tivo key, they'd still get the warning screen and could just press the tivo button again to cancel going to standby.

It's just the green thing to do. That is what standby is for, ain't it?

videobruce likes this.
  5. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    But, there are certain ones here that don't seem to think that is important. :rolleyes:

Too bad, they finally did something to make these more 'green', but no way to make it easy to put it into effect easily, buried using 15 or so button presses.

6. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I use a single button to put my TiVo into standby. I just have to grab my platinum Comcast (Xfinity) remote. I have it programmed on the power button (under TV) to put it into standby. One push for the 30-second countdown. Two pushes to put it right into standby.

You can probably get a platinum remote for free from Comcast if you're a customer. Just get it at the local office. If anyone is interested, I'll figure out the codes that I used to do this.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    How did you program that remote in the first place?

I setup up a 'macro' on my URC Mx-900 remote, but it takes forever to execute all 15 commands. They couldn't of put it further into the menu.
    Their choices on the menus order was always poor, other than "Shows' being 1st. Settings should be 2nd.

8. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    How to use a Motorola DVR/Programming the Remote - Wikibooks, open books for an open world helps. See 30 second skip for an idea of how to do this.
    Also URC6131 One For All 6-Device Universal Remote - TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 helps.

I believe the device code is 20618
    And the code for standby is 00152

Make sure you know what you're doing before reprogramming the remote for anything else.

On the platinum remote, assuming you have the device key programmed for the TiVo already, try at your own risk.
    TV button (or whatever device key you'll use)
    Hold Setup until button blinks twice
    Press Setup
    Press Power button
    The TV button should blink twice if successful.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  9. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Thanks for the above, but the Motorola link doesn't apply and is way over my head.
    The "All In One" that uses "URC" in their model numbers is not the same company as Universal Remote Control;
    Remote Control | URC

10. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Unfortunately, I don't have a MX-900 remote and don't know enough about that remote to really help.

If anyone has a spare Comcast remote, such as one of those platinum remotes (silver should work too), I could write the instructions.

As for the topic at hand, I'd propose this for the TiVo remotes.
    Given the accessibility nature of a, b, and c for screen reader, captions, and audio descriptions, I'm going to propose that the d button be used to start the 30 second countdown for standby when pressed in TiVo Central. In other words, you'd press the TiVo button to go to Tivo Central and then the d button to start the countdown. Any flaws with this idea? If not, I'd say we propose this on TiVo's website.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  11. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Well, I did find a shortcut (kind of).
    Using the down channel/page button, the button clicks are reduced from 15 to 5 programmed as a macro.

Menu,
    channel down,
    right,
    channel down,
    right.

Better than nothing, but still lame. as usual. :rolleyes:

12. CouchPotato_S3

CouchPotato_S3 TiVo Addict

Jul 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Correction:

Menu,