Long HDMI run

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by oberto, Dec 31, 2017.

1. oberto

oberto New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Need help - Trying to run a 75foot HDMI cable from a Romio - I purchased a hi quality cable and amplifier and still wont work - Any ideas

2. jdm5

jdm5 Member TCF Club

May 29, 2001
    Connecticut
    I'm using these - work great. I found them reviewed on avsforum and can confirm they work fine. Not cheap though. Also, the ends are DIRECTIONAL (meaning labeled source and display) - don't reverse them or they won't work -- said from experience after I ran one from my closet, into the attic, through the walls, and to the display only to find it was reversed and didn't work.

3. oberto

oberto New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Ouch - Over $300.00 for the cable

Anyone have a lower cost solution - I need to have 1 romio feed 5 HD tv's
    Main reason is I want Pandora ( app ) to run on all TV's in sync - I tried RCA cable with amplifier and that did not work - - Is there a Network Cat5 solution that would be better

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Probably cheaper. To get the same audio on five televisions, have one source for Pandora. Then run the output of that device to the audio/video inputs of all the televisions. That assumes all TV have an A/V input. But audio coax is cheaper than HDMI.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Blue Jeans Cable has quality HDMI cables.
    80 ft for ~ $250

[​IMG]

Series-1 Facts:

Where performance over distance is required, our best cable is our original Belden Series-1, a 23.5 AWG HDMI cable. The Series-1 is quite thick and stiff, which is a drawback in terms of installation convenience, but performs better over distance than anything else we have seen--and this is borne out by its independent HDMI certifications. It is certified to the longest distances of any HDMI cable we know of--45 feet for Category 1 ("Standard" speed), 25 feet for Category 2 ("High speed". In actual usage, it ordinarily will work at distances far exceeding these--we have run 1080p video through a 125 foot Series-1 HDMI cable without any information loss, but results will vary depending on the capabilities of the sending and receiving circuits of the devices in use. Like the Series-FE, this HDMI cable uses Belden's patented bonded-pair technology and the cable stock is manufactured at Belden facilities in Kentucky and Indiana; foot for foot, it is the costliest HDMI cable stock in the world to manufacture, but we sell it at a price lower than many "premium" brands that lack the specs and the certifications that this HDMI cable holds. Read more details, or view specs, on our BJC Series-1 Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable.

6. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
  7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If I'm running long HDMI, I ALWAYS use a HDBase-T device.

-KP

(they don't give those away either...)

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
  9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
  10. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Another non-tivo alternative would be to use chromecast which supports Pandora. I've recently synced a bunch of devices using a google home, but you can use just the app on your phone/tablet. A big plus is being able to sync multiple devices without running any cables. (I assume Amazon fire or whatever the apple system is would work as well but I don't use them so unsure)

There would be some cost in buying 5 dongles but it might be a more flexible solution (and able to cast video as well).