Logitech Harmony 880

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomm1079, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 15
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005

Advertisements

i just purchased the Logitech Harmony 880. Great remote highly suggest it.

Does anyone know if their is a way to do button combos to the remote. For example i would like the remote to hit the Tivo Button plus a number (dont remember which one off top of my head) to go to the to do list.
    Or setup a macro to enable 30 sec skip after a reboot.

Any ideas if this is possible

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 15
    classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    You could try recording new commands in RAW mode, and then using those. I've heard of limited success in doing this, but your button presses have to be close together for them to register as a single one.

Otherwise, the only other way would be to set up a separate activity, call it something like "30 second skip", and have the actions performed at the start of the activity, and then use it when you want to re-enable the 30-second skip. I'd suggest making this activity identical to what you use to watch TV, so you could then switch to and from the normal TV activity freely without to much work.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 15
    aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Yeah, I agree. There's really no practical way to do this on the 880.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 15
    tivo266

tivo266 New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    I have the Harmony 880 remote. it has a list function already built in. you can assign it to any button you want through the web interface. just click on customize buttons. I have it set for one of the buttons at the top of the remote.

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 15
    Status

Status New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Seattle, Wa

Advertisements

I've owned the Harmony 360 remote and currently own a Harmony 890. I am not sure about the 880/890 learning multiple commands/macros for button clicks. Activities can consist of multiple commands to same or multiple components, so I know that there is the functionality there, but I'm not sure as to how to program it. When it comes down to it, the remote uses an XML file to store the remote settings. Wonder if there's a way to hack the file and customize it...

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 15
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    There is supposed to be an update to the Harmony software soon (sometime in August I think) that will allow you to add multiple commands (from multiple devices/activities) to one button.

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 15
    danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    That would be great. I would love to have the capability to program my Harmony 880 with multiple actions on a button.

Dan

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 15
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I've got the Harmony 550 and I, too, have the NPL button programmed to a button on my LCD on the remote. Matter of fact, at one time, I had that programmed as one of my power up commands - when I hit my TiVo activity, it went directly to the NPL. That's especially handy if you're recording a sports event and don't want to see what the score is currently ("live" TV) before watching the recording!

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 15
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    REALLY? that's awesome!!! let me know!! :D

The one thing missing from the 880 :)

can't wait to add in like a skip forward 6 times or something

or the ultimate football thing
    -back 8, forward 30 in one button :)

10. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    You can actually do that now. This is what I did:

While in the Harmony Software with the remote connected, I went into RAW mode to "teach" one of the buttons on the LCD screen using the Tivo remote. When it was time to send the signal, on the tivo remote I pressed the "skip forward" button 6 times. You might have to try it a few times until you get the timing right.

I then labeled the button "3 minute Skip", and it works like a charm. :)

Of course, something like that will be a lot easier once the software upgrade is ready.

11. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Posted on the Logitech forums:

In March of 2007, Logitech communicated that the ability for multiple IR commands to be assigned to a single button was scheduled for release by the end of July 2007.

In response to feedback from other customers, Logitech will also be introducing additional button & remote customizations. This functionality will allow Harmony customers to create a sequence of up to 5 commands to any devices included in a given activity and the creation of up to 10 sequences.

To ensure that the restored functionality fully meets expectations, and that the new functionality meets the needs of other Harmony customers, Logitech is extending the test cycle. As a result the release date has been changed to the end of August 2007.

On behalf of Logitech I apologize for the delay, but hope that you understand why we have made the decision.

12. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    SWEET!

Nice find man.....

13. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002
    I love my 880, but I've gotta say the programming interface is pretty annoying when you want to get buttons in a certain order or change the button order already established.

Unless the software has gotten better since a year or so ago when I programmed my remote...

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    They now allow you to sort the order of your LCD buttons and the order of your activities.

15. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    haven't they had that for a while now??