Logitech Harmony 880 remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jteezy, Oct 29, 2005.

1. jteezy

jteezy New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Ohio

Advertisements

anyone have one? How well does it work with Tivo

2. Robart999

Robart999 New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    I have one it works great. Can set it up the way you want and haven't had a problem yet.

3. SJAndrew

SJAndrew spongeworthy

Sep 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I received one as a birthday present.

It's a great looking remote and does indeed work fine. But, I still use my TiVo remote. It's just more intuitive and comfortable to use.

With the harmony, you have to scroll through the screens. With the regular remote, all the buttons are right there.

4. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    My hand and mind are well tuned to the Tivo remote, but I have set the Harmony up with my most used "other" buttons on the screen too.
    I still have to look at the Harmony to work it which is bad, but I am getting there. I am not in love with the keys on the Harmony, but again, that's growing on me too.

5. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001

Advertisements

I bought one a few weeks ago, set it up but haven't used it much. I suppose it's because I rarely do anything other than watch via Tivo, so I don't need the functionality that the Harmony offers.

It's really pretty, though ;)

6. Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson Active Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    I've been using one for a few months now, and I love it. The only time I have to look at it is when I use one of the less-frequently-used commands that I have on the screen buttons, which isn't all that often. Didn't take too long to navigate by feel once I remembered which buttons the little 'nubs' were attached to.

My wife likes it a lot more than the Pronto it replaced, but she still prefers the peanut to either.

7. jteezy

jteezy New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Ohio
    for those that own, does the remote buttons on the bottom light up? Being the number buttons and the play, ff, rwd, rec, etc?

Also, can someone who has the remote go on the harmony page and tell me if they have codes for the xbox 360 that is coming out in november and what functions it will support

8. Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson Active Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    They do - the white parts of the buttons have a blue backlight.

9. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    I have a 676, its not as nice as the peanut IMHO, but it has become a necessity now that I have more components. I still find myself setting up the tv using the activiy button on the harmony and then using the peanut, when using Tivo.

10. iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I bought an 880 on my birthday. Unfortunately, the battery contacts are so recessed that it doesn't charge correctly. I contacted harmony support and they told me that a number of the 880's had this problem and asked for my name and address to send me a new base station. Unfortunately it has now been a month and a half and I do not have a base station, my remote's batter does not charge and I cannot return it to Best Buy because of their 30 day warranty. Harmony's customer service has been very non-customer servicey and all of my eMails asking for an update on the new base station have gone unanswered. In my experience, I would give this product a big thumbs down.

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Over the last two years or so, I've only good experiences with Harmony support - in fact probably the best tech support over that period of time versus other companies I've had the misfortune of dealing with.

They helped me customize some remote settings to deal with finicky components. Also my latest Harmony remote (the 529) has a jammed activity button and messed up tilt/glow sensor - it was no big deal to call in for a replacement (though I have to send the malfunctioning unit to Canada).

Have you called in directly and/or have you gotten a fuffilment/RMA number?

12. Albertsanchez

Albertsanchez Registered Noob

Oct 4, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I've had a Harmony remote for about 1 year now.

Much prefer the TIVO peanut, HOWEVER, I cannot program the peanut to control the volume on my sound system - so I have to use the Harmony.

Universal remotes seem to be an ergonomic compromise.

13. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    I have the 880, and even though I prefer the feel of the peanut, the Harmony makes it so much easier to switch from watching DVDs to Tivo to my HD box etc.

I used to have a Pronto, but that was very cumbersome to program. The Harmony can be set up very easily from a web page on Harmony's site

14. iDriveX

iDriveX TiVo/Mac Guru

Jun 2, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    No, no RMA or Fulfillment number because they don't want me to send anything back to them. They told me just to toss the old charging cradle. I finally got this response via eMail from them today 10/31 after my initial inquiry on 10/18:

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the new base stations are not yet available to send out to our customers. They have recently been shipped to North America from our production plant in China and await some further processing. We apologize for this as we are very aware that we have promised this unit to be delivered to you and many others weeks ago and are quite frustrated that we have not been able to fulfill that promise. As it stands the best answer we have been given is that they will be ready for shipping in 10 days. We do promise that you will receive your base station as soon as we are able to send it out to you.

Regards,

Harmony Technical Support

------------------------------------------

I understand that Harmony has great technical support, while my remote was working (the three days in which I didn't know the battery wasn't charging) they helped me out with my Sceptre LCD TV set. It was fantastic. It's the customer support people that seem to take long to get back to me. In my opinion 2 weeks to get back to someone regarding a simple question is way to long.

15. jteezy

jteezy New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Ohio
    got mine the other day and lovin it. Got it setup to work the tivo perfectly. Just found out that the Harmony 890 is coming out sometime this month. Same as the 880 but it does RF and IR. msrp is 400, wonder what it will go for on ebay

16. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Personally I did not like the feel of the 880. It was very nice and fairly easy to set up, but I did not like the button placement or the look of the LCD buttons.

I traded for a HTM MX-700 and I am very happy with that decision.

17. PhantomDilbert

PhantomDilbert Scrub in training

Nov 6, 2005
    Northern...
    I have the Harmony 880 and love it. Even got the WSA (Wife's seal of approval). Upgraded from the Marantz Mark II.

I have a hd monitor, av receiver, tivo, dvd player, vcr, and digital cable box with various input selections and av settings and this worked pretty flawlessly for me.

i give it 4.5 out of 5 stars, losing .5 because it's still in the early adopter phase and think it will be a generation or two before i give it 5. I do have high standards though...

18. jteezy

jteezy New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Ohio
    can someone verify for me with their remote that there is a slight rattle inside the remote. Hold it up to your ear and shake it a little. Does is sound like a tiny ball bearing moving around inside. I was wondering if this is suppose to be happening or if there is something broken on the inside of mine. My remote is brand new. I am wondering if that bearing is what triggers the remote to power on when you pick it up. Is it acting as the tilt sensor?

19. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    yes.

20. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    It's also audible in the low-budget 520. :)