Lodge 49 (with spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mt1, Aug 14, 2018.

1. mt1

mt1 Mostly lurking now

Dec 13, 2002
    CA
    I just finished the first two episodes after viewing to promos for this show during Better Call Saul. This dark comedy is totally sucking me in. I may even subscribe to binge watch the entire first season.

Is anyone watching this show?

2. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I’m in, waiting for the show to hit its grove, a little choppy right now.

3. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Reminds me of John from Cincinnati.
    I'm watching, and waiting for……something…..anything.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I watched the first episode.

I'll probably watch the second. But, like others, I'm waiting for something. I don't know what, but something.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The second episode has some nice hints of an emerging story arc which will keep me interested for a while to see how (if?) it develops...

6. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    The key is if they can keep the mystery of the lodge angle advancing and intriguing at a nice enough pace while never getting to the end of it.

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I stuck with JfC although it never really paid off for me.
    I think Lodge 49 promised more in the promos before Episode 1 than they've delivered.

8. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I'm waiting for y'all to tell me I should watch it.

I'm patient.

9. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    The other day, Alan Sepinwall tweeted that it takes until Episode 7 for the plot to really kick in (but he liked the show enough otherwise to stick around until that happened).

I know a lot of people don't have that patience, but since it's the dog days of summer tv, I'll probably stick around.

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    There was s promo at the end of Ep 2 with a promise to the effect that "all would be revealed" in upcoming weeks. I'm remaining patient for the time being.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    If suddenly there's a smoke monster, I'm out.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm watching, but I'm not sure why. It's slow, has little to no plot, and certainly isn't compelling. Actually, I do know why... there is nothing else on. My FutonCritic this week lists four scripted shows. Four!

It's the "not compelling" part that's the most problematic. I can handle a slow boil, but good gosh man, make me want to watch. This is like. Paint. Drying.

I can see the few plot points starting to appear, but the writers could really use a little sense of urgency to get things moving.

And the problem is, how many viewers have THAT much patience? If my TiVo was working overtime, this SP would be long deleted. But with literally nothing backed up (well, there is the Killing Eve marathon recordings y'all recommended), I'll stick around for now.

13. mt1

mt1 Mostly lurking now

Dec 13, 2002
    CA
    The episode 2 refrigerator scene took this series to a much darker place, but I’m in for one more episode tonight.

14. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    Ha ha! I'm just the opposite. I'll watch something first then come here to see if I should have liked it or not.

15. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    I love this show. I am so burned out on the dark and violent shows that I needed something offbeat and goofy and this is perfect.

16. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    I like it, quirky.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Who is quirky, and why do you talk to him about what you like? ;)

Beryl likes this.
  18. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've watched it from the beginning, but so far the only compelling reason I can offer to watch it is that the guy's sister is totally hot in her little waitress outfit. The story is a bit off the wall and is slow to develop, but I'm hanging in there to see where it goes. It's definitely quirky and different so it's refreshing from that viewpoint. I can think of far worse shows to waste my time on.

19. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I finally gave up. It's not so much bad, as it just doesn't go anywhere. I feel like the writers could make this a far more compelling story, and still keep the tone they're going for. I don't mind slow moving stories, but they have to really hook you, draw you in. L49 just doesn't have that captivating lure.

I've reached a point in my TV watching that if a show is going to develop slowly, it needs to hook me within 2-3 episodes. I used to stick it out much longer, often for an entire season. And then end up wondering why I stuck it out so long. So now the writers & cast need to capture my interest within the first few episodes, or SP *poof*. I may miss a few winners, but I save a lot of time on dozens of losers (IMHO).

YMMV.

20. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I'm still in. Seeing Wyatt Russell makes me think of a young Goldie Hawn. What can I say?

Rob Helmerichs likes this.