Lockups fixed? Not exactly.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Atomic Buffalo, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Atomic Buffalo

Atomic Buffalo New Member

Nov 21, 2002
    Worst Cost, USA

Advertisements

I was just watching TV. I hit the Tivo button to get to Tivo Central. A tentative down-arrow worked -- no lockup! Cool.

I zipped up to the Discovery bar, thinking somehow that would remind me of the keypress that would turn off the video window, because it's kind of annoying right now. Memory fails me. Back down into the main menu -- after all, my shows are waiting for me...

But when I hit Select on My Shows, nothing happens.

Am I locked up? No, I can move around the main menu, get to the side menus... but I can't select anything on the side menus. I hit Zoom, nothing. Live TV, nothing.

In short, I'm stuck in Tivo Central. Can't get out. Have to pull the plug.

Sigh.

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    This is the Select non responsive problem that I got also, the arrows work but the select does not, and for me the TiVo button did not work, but that button did gave me the bong, just no action. Plug pull was the only fix (maybe TiVo needs a reset button on the front panel like some computers have)

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    My brother-in-law had that happen, and the TiVo was recording at the time. He didn't want to kill the recording and let it sit for 15 minutes. It timed out to Live TV, and he regained control of the HDUI! I've not experienced any lockups since I've gotten my Premiere, so I can't personally attest to this method.

4. clemm

clemm New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Got it Tuesday, installed it, sent it back last night. Locked up 3 times in 4 hours and they kept telling me to pull the plug. No thanks, life is too short. They can have it. And this is AFTER the software update.

5. digitalfirefly

digitalfirefly Member

Apr 15, 2005

Advertisements

I also have the latest update. Last night mine locked up on me. From the My Shows list I hit channel down and it locked on the green circle.

6. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I also had the green circle hang last night with 14.1c. Not really a lock-up because somehow I finally got out of it, but still - the HD-UI needs some more work.

I'm thinking about switching back to SD-UI again. :(

7. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Does the "thumbs down three times and play" technique work on this issue? I've yet to have any problems on mine after the update. By the way, in that lockup thread, there's a woman from TiVo who wants to know the serial numbers of people still having issues so they can look into it. Please send her info.

Joe

8. cranbers

cranbers New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    You guys are using the "stock" remote right, not a third party logitech remote? Because that is what I was using and it seemed to be an issue with that, I haven't experienced this since I updated it.

But that doesn't apply here if you guys are actually getting that issue with the stock tivo remote that came with the box.

9. clemm

clemm New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Stock remote.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My harmony remotes did not cause me any issues. One of my Harmony One remotes controls four of my Premieres. It never caused me any problems with the Premieres.
    My other Harmony One and Harmony 680 control my other Premieres. I had no problems with them either.

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    If you didnt map the exit button or use it, you most likely wont see it. Margret said she thinks they found the solution to it and might be in the next patch.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't think I have an exit button. i do use the stop button though.

I'll need to go into the device menu and see if the exit button is there.

13. cranbers

cranbers New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Exit button meaning left arrow right.

14. eddieb187

eddieb187 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Hudson...
    The fix for a lockup in TiVo Central is to reboot the HDUI.
    To do that the remote sequence is:
    Thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play.

Also for Aaron's Harmony Remote.
    I have the Harmony One.
    Make sure you change the Exit command to Clear in the Harmony Software.
    I learned the A B C D buttons as well. One was missing as was LiveTV.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If it's the left arrow, then I do use that with my Premieres.

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I don't have a Harmony and I was at work so just going off what I remember. I was referring to this post.

Apparently the EXIT command goes back to the series 1 from reading the thread she posted in. I don't remember an exit button but maybe there was one or it is a specific command to the Harmony that you can program.

17. Goldwing2001

Goldwing2001 Goldwing2001

Sep 30, 2006
    Honolulu,...
    No lock-ups here. I'm very happy with my Premiere XL and look forward to more and new HDUI menus. :)

18. Patrick

Patrick Member

May 26, 2002
    Also got green circle lockup with 14.c. I can confirm that it eventually timed out to live TV. However, as soon as I went back into the TiVo main menu, it locked up again.

Rebooting the HDUI (Thumbs down, Thumbs Up, Play Play) fixed it for now.

Using Harmony One remote. I'll double check to ensure that EXIT isn't programmed.

19. Fist of Death

Fist of Death Bon Vivant

Jan 4, 2002
    The Emerald...
    Same here. Although I forgot the thumbs/play combination so I just yanked the power cord out of the UPS and rebooted.

20. RichB

RichB Oppo Beta Group

Apr 2, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the reboot HD tip.
    I was sitting here with a black screen and that cured it.

- Rich